Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 hours ago, tcp said:

Is there forensic evidence proving they're not the same person yet? I still catch myself muttering, "oh god, Kidney Man" from time to time. 

I don't know who Kidney is. I will admit I couldn't be coach ( too volatile of a temper). There wouldn't be a player or referee that wouldn't get BITCH slapped a few times!!

17 minutes ago, KearneyMan said:

I'AM NOT!!!! You want to be the first to get bitch slapped?

I’ll give you this... you’ve had a few decent one liners since you’ve been active the past 6 weeks or so.  Not enough for a green arrow, but you’re getting there.

Sadly I’m not a fan that you get happiness out of our current situation.  So no matter what direction this season goes however... it’ll be nice to get a 2ish year hiatus again after the seasons over.

Edited by hskr4life

13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Pelini, Riley, and Eichorst are all paid off. I'm sure there's some smaller buyouts at some of the other varsity sports, but nothing of the magnitude that should make an AD cringe.

That would make the total expenses from this last year rather skewed wouldn't it?  that's like 15 million dollars off the immediate budget (forgive me if i don't remember the exact numbers... point is we probably have room to go after someone if we really want it).

6 hours ago, KearneyMan said:

I don't know who Kidney is. I will admit I couldn't be coach ( too volatile of a temper). There wouldn't be a player or referee that wouldn't get BITCH slapped a few times!!

Did Schestev have a major head injury, like in a motorcycle accident or something, and then move to Kearney?

(Sorry to dig way back into the unfortunate history of Husker message boards there.)

1 hour ago, SkerBall said:

An interesting name that I haven’t seen come up that would be in my opinion very realistic...Tommy Amaker

Speaking of Duke assistants.  Collins had one miracle year at Northwestern but is reverting to the mean.  Quin Snyder went to a regional final but ended up getting canned at Missouri.  Amaker racked up 3 NIT seasons in 6 years before getting canned at Michigan.  Dawkins had a sweet sixteen and a couple of NITs in 8 years at Stanford before getting pushed out.  Wojciechowski is going to make his second NCAA in 5 years at Marquette.  Mike Brey, the one that was an assistant but didn't play at Duke, has done the best, 12 NCAAs in 19 years.

15 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

AKA, Shaka Smart.

Texas is obviously a way better job but Texas is so political not everyone is the right fit.  I think Shaka would again strive in an under dog type of roll. 

Building a roster that can do well in the NCAA tournament is different than building a roster that can do well in the NCAA tournament AND that can survive the grind of a major conference with legitimate frontcourts.  (Witness this years Nebraska team, if this team was in the Atlantic 10 or Mountain West or even the Big East or Pac12 it would go about 25-5 in the regular season and make the sweet sixteen, but it couldn't survive 20 games against Big Ten competition - the frontcourt matchups just didn't work.) 

Shaka proved he could win in the tournament once he got there, but he hasn't proven he can get there when he's in a major conference.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

2 hours ago, a0t0w0 said:

Why are we talking about a coaching change when we are about to go on a 8 game winning streak to close the season?  Mile's do it now problem isnt this year...it's next year.  Plz put your energy elsewhere. 

possibly because the quality of our dope isn't quite so good? that's just one guess, though. 

3 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Collins had one miracle year at Northwestern but is reverting to the mean. 

They were set up last year like we were this year. But McIntosh's injury and the lost home-court advantage (during renovation) did them in.

Next year is Collins' 7th, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it if he's down again. 

2 hours ago, a0t0w0 said:

Why are we talking about a coaching change when we are about to go on a 8 game winning streak to close the season?  Mile's do it now problem isnt this year...it's next year.  Plz put your energy elsewhere. 

I think Miles has been a fantastic ambassador for the program, has brought some excitement back to the team (although if fan turnout and support continues like it was against Maryland, back to Sadler/Bob Devaney Sports Center then we have lost that), and he's found a niche in the transfer market to bring in better talent. But he's struggled to turn that into consistent success.

But by Year 7, Miles is either "your guy" or he's not. Extending a coach in Year 7 who has 0 NCAA wins, 0 NIT wins, has only been in the postseason 2 of 7 years, has averaged 10.5th place in conference play so far, and is on the brink of not even making the NIT with his best roster he's had at Nebraska, may just continue the bleeding and delay the inevitable which is why people are deciding to put their energy elsewhere.

44 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I don’t know who would be one and I don’t know where you find one but we need a Steve pikiell as our next guy. The amount of growth he has gotten outta the same level of recruits we get in big ten play alone is more than we have had here in 7 years 

Nice story but what's isn't Pikiell coaching them up ala Doc Sadler?

I think Nebraska needs someone who has recruited at a power 5 level followed by being a great in game coach.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being someone like Dawkins. Of course we would likely have to get plenty of “no’s” before we get to someone who says yes. I don’t want to go the mid major route unless you are talking Marshall, Sampson, etc. Those established relationships with areas and aau/hs are important. 

3 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

I think Nebraska needs someone who has recruited at a power 5 level followed by being a great in game coach.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being someone like Dawkins. Of course we would likely have to get plenty of “no’s” before we get to someone who says yes. I don’t want to go the mid major route unless you are talking Marshall, Sampson, etc. Those established relationships with areas and aau/hs are important. 

Sampson doesn't belong in this mid-major grouping you have here. All three coaches here are in the American, btw.