Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

13 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Are there any examples of a coach successfully moving immediately from DIII to P5?

Bo Ryan though there you're talking about a guy who was an assistant at Wisconsin for 8 years, was a D-IIII coach for 15 years, and then coached at Milwaukee for 2 years before he got the Wisconsin job.

24 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I've wondered about Derrin Hansen, too.

Seems like we'd have an exciting brand of losing basketball.

If you're looking at UNO guys there is former Jay and long time Altman assistant Kevin McKenna. (At UNO for 4 years, won there) No idea if he could or would want to run a D-I program but he has all the experience for it.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems like we'd have an exciting brand of losing basketball.

If you're looking at UNO guys there is former Jay and long time Altman assistant Kevin McKenna. (At UNO for 4 years, won there) No idea if he could or would want to run a D-I program but he has all the experience for it.

Maybe. He transitioned a program from D2 to the top of the Summit league. He can coach. Not sure if can do it at the B1G level or not. I don't think he'll get his shot in Lincoln or if he'd even want it. I'm just curious how he'd do. Not sure I want to find out here or not, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Wow, another Creighton guy. I've also noted Altman and McDermott's names mentioned. If we are going to mine the mother lode of Bluejay coaches, let's just put Porter Moser, Tony Baroni, Willis Reed , Tom Apke, and Eddie Sutton's names out there as well.

Edited by jimmykc

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

If we make a run, Coach Miles could be/should be retained.  I am hoping for the best.  But if we need to find a new coach, here are three names that the fan base should keep an eye on:

TRAVIS DECUIRE

- DEDRIQUE TAYLOR

- NATHAN DAVIS

These are all solid/realistic options. I would love the Travis DeCuire hire

On 2/4/2019 at 9:52 PM, Jugular said:

Still not answering the question about where you were last year. I have no problem with your opinion on Tim. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’d guess most everyone would agree with that.  The problem is your dick move of coming back on here to gloat and beat your drum when you crawled in a hole last year like a coward. Again, shows a lot about your character that you are happy someone is failing.

I answered, I was at the games cheering on the team. As I stated then, Tim has improved the program, I like him as a person.  The program has also improved itself, the practice facility, the arena, the conference, hell even the assistants pool.  Go look at the money Sadler had for assistants and his assistants. This year should Tek you everything that was thought about the conference was accurate. I thought the program has had the wrong guy the past two years to lead this to further than where Tim brought us. 

29 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

If we make a run, Coach Miles could be/should be retained.  I am hoping for the best.  But if we need to find a new coach, here are three names that the fan base should keep an eye on:

TRAVIS DECUIRE

- DEDRIQUE TAYLOR

- NATHAN DAVIS

Yes. Although it shouldn't be a requirement, it's time for Nebraska to seriously consider an African-American head basketball coach. (Added on edit: But not Ernie Kent.)

Edited by jayschool

2 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Yes. Although it shouldn't be a requirement, it's time for Nebraska to seriously consider an African-American head basketball coach.

If the right guy's out there, it would be great. But the reality is that this is a touchy culture for such a hire. I remember what the discussion was around Gill for two coaching openings.  It wasn't pretty. 

An article touching on the subject you might find interesting a it is recent. 

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/where-have-the-black-college-basketball-coaches-gone.html

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

TRAVIS DECUIRE

- DEDRIQUE TAYLOR

- NATHAN DAVIS

These are all "B" coaches!!! Move it along!!

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Found this...

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-updated-rankings-02-05-2019/

A couple takes:

HEADING OUT

Ernie Kent, Washington State – I never truly understood the rollover given to Kent by former AD Bill Moos (who is now the AD at Nebraska). I know it’s a tough job, but Kent hasn’t done anything to show he’s got it going in the right direction. He’s won a total of 19 league games in nearly five seasons. The Pac-12 stinks this year, and the Cougars are still 1-8 in league play with the lone victory coming at home to winless Cal.
Current Record: 8-14, 1-8 in Pac-12
Contract Situation: Rollover enacted in 2017 thru 2022

TRENDING OUT

Tim Miles, Nebraska – It looked promising for Miles and his future in Lincoln – up until the last few weeks. The Cornhuskers have lost five straight and also lost Isaac Copeland for the rest of the season. Miles’ job security has flipped … quickly.
Current Record: 13-9, 3-8 in Big Ten
Contract Situation: Signed a one-year extension in 2018 thru 2021

So Ernie Kent should be available?  Well there you go, the stars are aligning.  ?

2 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

I answered, I was at the games cheering on the team. As I stated then, Tim has improved the program, I like him as a person.  The program has also improved itself, the practice facility, the arena, the conference, hell even the assistants pool.  Go look at the money Sadler had for assistants and his assistants. This year should Tek you everything that was thought about the conference was accurate. I thought the program has had the wrong guy the past two years to lead this to further than where Tim brought us. 

05158A3F-C251-433A-9DE4-39E22D702856.jpeg

9 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

TRAVIS DECUIRE

- DEDRIQUE TAYLOR

- NATHAN DAVIS

A majority of the fan base would be awful disappointed w all those guys. Decuire and  Davis have built pretty good programs. Taylor has struggled mighty but probably has the best coaching background w his time at Arizona state

22 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Program is in better shape than it was the day Miles was hired (based on PBA, the Haymarket) but depending on what happens with Allen and roby this roster could be in worse shape than doc left it 

We don’t have much to show for Miles 7 years. One ncaa tournament appearance which was a fun run.

But, the new coach will be completely resetting.  We will be bad next year. Like Rutgers bad. But, we were going to be bad under Miles as well.  Hopefully the new coach can recruit and for the love of god...be able to put together consistent offense. 

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

My neighbor has a yard sign: "Any Functioning Adult / 2020." I'm going to assume she's referencing Husker hoops.

My Facebook profile is usually "Giant Meteor (inert year here) or Cthulhu (same same)". 

I think all three would be an upgrade, but you gotta admit Cthulhu is intriguing. No one stopping those tentacles. We'll never get whistled again.