Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

3 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I don't think questioning the coach has anything to do with loyalty. We all bleed red. The question is if the program at this level is acceptable to you. For some, it was unacceptable two years ago apparently, which is their right, but they missed out on the enjoyment of last year. I'm not giving up on this season because we did the work in noncon to get us into the NCAA if we can just play decent ball the rest of the way. But for heavens sake, Miles has been here 7 years, if he can't get this team to the NCAA, how can you possibly think he's the long-term solution? If that makes me disloyal, then &%&% it.

I also don't feel the need to preface every assessment of the program with "I like Miles ..... ." I don't care one way or the other about whether he's a great guy, I want to win. He gets paid a lot of money, and he knew what was expected of him. If he's out of work, he leaves $millions richer than any of us. 

100% agree.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I will go down with the ship because I bleed red and am a fan.  I won't have revisionist history here.  I expected a special year and have been very disappointed in the last several weeks.  If the season doesn't turn around, then I will reluctantly be on board for a coaching change despite how much I like Miles and how I feel he has elevated this program.  Make no mistake, Nebraska is better off now then we were when Miles took over.  However, for all of you that are adament we fire Miles, just be careful what you wish for.  There is no guarantee of a home run hire...we could have another 10 years of Collier/Sadler and our talent base could drop off considerably.  Which, by the way, Sadler was a great guy and like @hskr4life said, that termination press conference was brutal to watch.  Really hope we beat Maryland, get on a little roll and not have to watch Miles go through something similar.

Why knock Collier/Sadler though?   I think Miles has brought in better individual talent than those guys.  But his results are going to end up pretty darn similar when it is all said and done.   And yes...Miles has played a tougher non-con and in the Big Ten.  He also had two new facilities in his back pocket as well.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Why knock Collier/Sadler though?   I think Miles has brought in better individual talent than those guys.  But his results are going to end up pretty darn similar when it is all said and done.   And yes...Miles has played a tougher non-con and in the Big Ten.  He also had two new facilities in his back pocket as well.

Well, I guess at this point I thought everyone was basically on the same page with what happened during the Collier/Sadler eras.  Our talent was nowhere good enough to compete consistently during that decade.  I certainly am not trying to personally insult either one of them, just stating what is my opinion and that I prefer not to go backwards talent wise.  And I agree that Miles has much better talent but he has and is currently struggling getting the most out of it.  I also cannot disagree with your comment about results being the same as the win/loss records, NCAA tournament success, etc. will not be much different if this season doesn't turn around in a hurry.  I guess the bottom line for me is that if we have to make a coaching change, find me someone that can both recruit and coach up/elevate the players in this program.  I always thought Sadler was a good X's and O's coach and Miles has proven to be a very capable recruiter - whether through traditional recruiting or the transfer market.  If Miles is gone, lets try to find someone that can do both but not pretend that we may find someone who is like Sadler/Collier and can coach well but can't recruit the talent necessary to win.  Again, this season isn't over yet so I don't think or hope this chapter in Nebrasketball history is fully written yet!

OK, I think leaving the "like" factor out of every post is a good move to avoid redundancy. I was already looking forward to seeing Jervay Green play here. I doubt he will come if the coaching regime changes. How's that for a reason to persist for another year? 

Edited by jimmykc

33 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

OK, I think leaving the "like" factor out of every post is a good move to avoid redundancy. I was already looking forward to seeing Jervay Green play here. I doubt he will come if the coaching regime changes. How's that for a reason to persist for another year? 

Not a good reason 

If/when a new coach comes in, they typically re-recruit those kids here or have signed or committed to play here; IF, he believes they can play his style of ball and perform at the level he expects.  Then he turns to players he may have been involved with (recruited) in past jobs.  He also brings in new assistants and staff that may also have players in their back pockets.  

So, what does that mean, I am not sure.  Other than if Moos decides to part company with Coach Miles, we are going to have a very eventful off-season.

2 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Well, I guess at this point I thought everyone was basically on the same page with what happened during the Collier/Sadler eras.  Our talent was nowhere good enough to compete consistently during that decade.  I certainly am not trying to personally insult either one of them, just stating what is my opinion and that I prefer not to go backwards talent wise.  And I agree that Miles has much better talent but he has and is currently struggling getting the most out of it.  I also cannot disagree with your comment about results being the same as the win/loss records, NCAA tournament success, etc. will not be much different if this season doesn't turn around in a hurry.  I guess the bottom line for me is that if we have to make a coaching change, find me someone that can both recruit and coach up/elevate the players in this program.  I always thought Sadler was a good X's and O's coach and Miles has proven to be a very capable recruiter - whether through traditional recruiting or the transfer market.  If Miles is gone, lets try to find someone that can do both but not pretend that we may find someone who is like Sadler/Collier and can coach well but can't recruit the talent necessary to win.  Again, this season isn't over yet so I don't think or hope this chapter in Nebrasketball history is fully written yet!

I agree....and don't get me wrong...I'm not defending those two....I'm just saying at the end of the day.....if the rest of this season goes at it feels it will, there's not going to be a huge amount of difference between the three regimes, regardless of how it got there.   Different ingredients, same poor tasting recipe.

8 hours ago, NebrasketballJake said:

He was likely at the OSU game because Chris Holtmann and Michael Lewis both worked for him at Butler and he is well respected as an AD. Probably still friends with both of them. I also think the last time the conference tourney was in Indy I saw pictures that we practiced at Hinkle Fieldhouse, and this was before Lewis was on staff. There must be a good connection between our two programs. 

Also tends to do this when Butler plays at Creighton and we have a game following

8 hours ago, lanigan123 said:

You can cheer for the team while still thinking we have the wrong coach at the current time at the helm.  I watched them beat Michigan at home and nearly lose to Illinois if not for a crazy shot at the buzzer to take it to OT.  Last year was what you’d call a success?  Getting bounced in the opening round of the NIT? A down year in the conference with not one quad one win and a weak conference schedule....  

please tell me in year 7 we have an identity, we have a system in place that is well executed.  That in year 7 we have a deep bench who can come in and execute.  Please tell me how many high school, hell even juco recruits Miles has signed who have exhausted their eligibility here.  

Again, sing “I will go down with this ship” on the Miles bandwagon. 

Still not answering the question about where you were last year. I have no problem with your opinion on Tim. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’d guess most everyone would agree with that.  The problem is your dick move of coming back on here to gloat and beat your drum when you crawled in a hole last year like a coward. Again, shows a lot about your character that you are happy someone is failing.

10 hours ago, Jugular said:

Still not answering the question about where you were last year. I have no problem with your opinion on Tim. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’d guess most everyone would agree with that.  The problem is your dick move of coming back on here to gloat and beat your drum when you crawled in a hole last year like a coward. Again, shows a lot about your character that you are happy someone is failing.

You know this is the internet, right? ???

One of the odd things about Mile's tenure is it seems the expectations were elevated without much increase in success. I would say we aren't a program that should expect to make the NCAA tournament. The 2nd year run to the tournament (and facility upgrades) almost set him up for a higher chance of failure. 

I'll be curious what the expectations reset to with a new coach.

7 minutes ago, avfan2121 said:

One of the odd things about Mile's tenure is it seems the expectations were elevated without much increase in success. I would say we aren't a program that should expect to make the NCAA tournament. The 2nd year run to the tournament (and facility upgrades) almost set him up for a higher chance of failure. 

I'll be curious what the expectations reset to with a new coach.

I'm not sure I'm following this. Miles was given 7 years to take this program to whatever heights we could achieve. A 2nd year run to the tournament and facility upgrades didn't inhibit his chance to put his stamp on this program.

What do you think our expectations should have been after Year 7?

15 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not sure I'm following this. Miles was given 7 years to take this program to whatever heights we could achieve. A 2nd year run to the tournament and facility upgrades didn't inhibit his chance to put his stamp on this program.

What do you think our expectations should have been after Year 7?

Basically feels like people have higher expectations of the program now than when Miles was hired. Which would seem to mean that he elevated expectations. But he didn't really have the success that warrants higher expectations, outside of a streak to the tournament early in his tenure. Which lead to expectations of continuing to make the tournament. If they don't make it this year, it's definitely time to move on. I'm just curious what our expectations of a new coach will be when the time actually comes.

Just now, avfan2121 said:

Basically feels like people have higher expectations of the program now than when Miles was hired. Which would seem to mean that he elevated expectations. But he didn't really have the success that warrants higher expectations, outside of a streak to the tournament early in his tenure. Which lead to expectations of continuing to make the tournament. If they don't make it this year, it's definitely time to move on. I'm just curious what our expectations of a new coach will be when the time actually comes.

100% we have higher expectations than when Miles was hired.  That's the goal right?  You want to hire someone who provides "more" than what the previous guy did.  I think Miles has done that on the recruiting trail.  It hasn't been necessarily so in the W/L column outside of 1-2 good years.  However, this year can still be made into something.  If we don't dance, I am in the boat that it's time to move on.  I have been that way since the beginning of the year.  If the time comes that we hire a new coach, I think expectations should be higher than what Miles provided.  That means consistent or better recruiting and more trips/wins after the conference tourney.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

100% we have higher expectations than when Miles was hired.  That's the goal right?  You want to hire someone who provides "more" than what the previous guy did.  I think Miles has done that on the recruiting trail.  It hasn't been necessarily so in the W/L column outside of 1-2 good years.  However, this year can still be made into something.  If we don't dance, I am in the boat that it's time to move on.  I have been that way since the beginning of the year.  If the time comes that we hire a new coach, I think expectations should be higher than what Miles provided.  That means consistent or better recruiting and more trips/wins after the conference tourney.

Of course it's the goal. I think many people would agree the expectations are higher while also saying that Miles never really did anything here. Heck, on another board there is an argument on whether Miles will leave the program worse off than Sadler. Pretty rare combo.

Found this...

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-basketball-coaches-on-the-hot-seat-updated-rankings-02-05-2019/

A couple takes:

HEADING OUT

Ernie Kent, Washington State – I never truly understood the rollover given to Kent by former AD Bill Moos (who is now the AD at Nebraska). I know it’s a tough job, but Kent hasn’t done anything to show he’s got it going in the right direction. He’s won a total of 19 league games in nearly five seasons. The Pac-12 stinks this year, and the Cougars are still 1-8 in league play with the lone victory coming at home to winless Cal.
Current Record: 8-14, 1-8 in Pac-12
Contract Situation: Rollover enacted in 2017 thru 2022

TRENDING OUT

Tim Miles, Nebraska – It looked promising for Miles and his future in Lincoln – up until the last few weeks. The Cornhuskers have lost five straight and also lost Isaac Copeland for the rest of the season. Miles’ job security has flipped … quickly.
Current Record: 13-9, 3-8 in Big Ten
Contract Situation: Signed a one-year extension in 2018 thru 2021

Just now, uneblinstu said:

IDK. There are examples of coaches going from FCS to P5 FBS in football and succeeding, but they're rare.

Yeah it's more so just out of curiosity. I may try to look into that.

I don't know how the professional coaching world operates, but I would just imagine that a DIII coach transitioning immediately to P5 would be at a recruiting disadvantage unless they have a very strong network with the right people.

Interesting hypothetical nonetheless.