Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

On 2/2/2019 at 10:40 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

I am surprised at how many here assume all the guys here like the staff ... or Miles at least. Yes, they chose to be here but lots of the time I think they are sold playing time and niceties and then they get here and I wonder if they don't like the culture or the reality of being coached by Miles. One has to question that when we've had multiple guys in the past who were starters and left and the like. Next year could be ugly whether Miles is here or not. It stays ugly if he is ...

An opinion on your own opinion.

These things all play out the same. People look for and even make up reasons to justify their own opinion.

Human nature is that in order for an individual to feel better about wanting a generally good person fired they project on that person negative personal flaws so they don't have to feel so bad.

How about this instead. He's a good guy/girl  who couldn't get the job done and it sucks. It's OK to feel bad about it.

I wanted Doc fired, and I generally felt horrible that I wanted him fired. I didn't project any negative qualities on him to justify my wanting him fired just so I could feel better.

22 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

"If it's the right situation for not only me, but my family, something I'd be dying to get to, I think that would be what would pull me back into it," Matta said.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

Very intriguing...very intriguing indeed.

I've always been very intrigued as to why Barry Collier keeps coming back for Nebraska Basketball games. Does anybody here know why? It's not much of a secret that I was a big fan of Barry. His character was a beyond reproach. He was a pretty good coach who struggled mightily to recruit to a power conference. 

Matta would be given a very long leash at Nebraska as it would be another...another...another complete rebuild.

Familiar with the BIG. 

51 years old. Is he really ready to call it quits? I don't know.

He did struggle in recruiting, at least that was the stated reason for his firing. Didn't seem to be a problem during his previous 11 years at tOSU.

5 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

51 years old. Is he really ready to call it quits? I don't know.

When I saw that Matta was 51 I was thinking oops, they hit a 5 instead of a 6 on the keyboard. I asked a few other friends how old they thought he was and they to guessed older than 51 as well.

Regardless of that, if there is an opening he is a guy that I like.  

35 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I've always been very intrigued as to why Barry Collier keeps coming back for Nebraska Basketball games. Does anybody here know why? It's not much of a secret that I was a big fan of Barry. His character was a beyond reproach. He was a pretty good coach who struggled mightily to recruit to a power conference.

He was likely at the OSU game because Chris Holtmann and Michael Lewis both worked for him at Butler and he is well respected as an AD. Probably still friends with both of them. I also think the last time the conference tourney was in Indy I saw pictures that we practiced at Hinkle Fieldhouse, and this was before Lewis was on staff. There must be a good connection between our two programs. 

4 hours ago, HB said:

Good, come back again in 2 years and be right once more.   That's a pretty good increment for bringing your mug back on here.   

Do you think "Coach" Barnes has a shot at the job?

Coach Barnes?  No way. My opinion that he should of been gone two years ago, isn’t and wasn’t wrong.  Sorry, that your amazing opinion of our Coaches abilities is and was wrong.  Your poor ego.  I know it hurts your ego.  I’ve read the board since.  Also from another source who knows Fred’s agent no way he ends up here, he’d be happier with a NBA front office job, than to come back to college.  Also, Matta’s agent will push hard for him to be in consideration. 

3 minutes ago, lanigan123 said:

Coach Barnes?  No way. My opinion that he should of been gone two years ago, isn’t and wasn’t wrong.  Sorry, that your amazing opinion of our Coaches abilities is and was wrong.  Your poor ego.  I know it hurts your ego.  I’ve read the board since.  Also from another source who knows Fred’s agent no way he ends up here, he’d be happier with a NBA front office job, than to come back to college.  Also, Matta’s agent will push hard for him to be in consideration. 

So where were you last year when won 22 and went 13-5 in league?   That's the point, not your ultimate opinion that Miles should be fired.    Easy to come on here now and dance on people's graves and gloat about your brilliance.   Anyway, thanks for the news flash that Hoiberg isn't coming here.   Wow.  Brilliant.   No one has posted that over the last month.  What insight.   Thank god for all of your inside connections or we wouldn't know that, Mr. Obvious.    Next thing you'll tell us is that Lue and Altman aren't coming here.  

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

These things all play out the same. People look for and even make up reasons to justify their own opinion.

Human nature is that in order for an individual to feel better about wanting a generally good person fired they project on that person negative personal flaws so they don't have to feel so bad.

How about this instead. He's a good guy/girl  who couldn't get the job done and it sucks. It's OK to feel bad about it.

I wanted Doc fired, and I generally felt horrible that I wanted him fired. I didn't project any negative qualities on him to justify my wanting him fired just so I could feel better.

I would like this also applied to the players. A lot of people like the coach, so they project negative personal flaws on the players. They're lazy, selfish, unmanly (an unbelievable suggestion from an anonymous message poster). The proof is what is on the court. If we don't make the tournament, it's because we weren't talented enough or weren't coached well enough, or a combination. But it doesn't have to be because of the coach's and players' negative qualities. 

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Seemed to have some health problems too as I recall. Maybe that situation is better now that he has had a break.

Yeah, he had a botched back surgery (I can totally identify with that one) and it left him with some temp paralysis and difficulty with mobility and also some affect on his heart rate (probably from the stress of trying to function with it). 

Apparently he's got most if not all of it corrected. That's why I was as surprised as anyone that OSU fired him for that (in his view because of negative recruiting, which I'd love the names so those coaches could be shamed out of the business). 

He looks clear to coach again if he find a stop he likes. He's apparently getting offers. 

I think it's very pompous of you to try and control another's opinion on a message board. I have CONSISTENTLY said this is just my opinion over and over when stating things. I don't KNOW that I'm right. It's merely what I see. You seem to struggle with really dogmatic/binary/right wrong thinking. I have never said Miles is a horrible, awful person--there are degrees of "good" "bad" to every person. YOU seem to be the one making this into the extremes. You are welcome to think I am projecting, but to me it is just what I am observing.

9 minutes ago, HB said:

So where were you last year when won 22 and went 13-5 in league?   That's the point, not your ultimate opinion that Miles should be fired.    Easy to come on here now and dance on people's graves and gloat about your brilliance.   Anyway, thanks for the news flash that Hoiberg isn't coming here.   Wow.  Brilliant.   No one has posted that over the last month.  What insight.   Thank god for all of your inside connections or we wouldn't know that, Mr. Obvious.    Next thing you'll tell us is that Lue and Altman aren't coming here.  

You can cheer for the team while still thinking we have the wrong coach at the current time at the helm.  I watched them beat Michigan at home and nearly lose to Illinois if not for a crazy shot at the buzzer to take it to OT.  Last year was what you’d call a success?  Getting bounced in the opening round of the NIT? A down year in the conference with not one quad one win and a weak conference schedule....  

please tell me in year 7 we have an identity, we have a system in place that is well executed.  That in year 7 we have a deep bench who can come in and execute.  Please tell me how many high school, hell even juco recruits Miles has signed who have exhausted their eligibility here.  

Again, sing “I will go down with this ship” on the Miles bandwagon. 

6 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I think it's very pompous of you to try and control another's opinion on a message board. I have CONSISTENTLY said this is just my opinion over and over when stating things. I don't KNOW that I'm right. It's merely what I see. You seem to struggle with really dogmatic/binary/right wrong thinking. I have never said Miles is a horrible, awful person--there are degrees of "good" "bad" to every person. YOU seem to be the one making this into the extremes. You are welcome to think I am projecting, but to me it is just what I am observing.

"I think they are sold playing time and niceties and then they get here and I wonder if they don't like the culture or the reality of being coached by Miles."

Since you don't this to be true then why say it? Implication is that TM is a bit sleazy in how he runs the program.

Golly.  It was time for Doc to go, but that going away presser was really tough to watch.

25 minutes ago, lanigan123 said:

You can cheer for the team while still thinking we have the wrong coach at the current time at the helm.  I watched them beat Michigan at home and nearly lose to Illinois if not for a crazy shot at the buzzer to take it to OT.  Last year was what you’d call a success?  Getting bounced in the opening round of the NIT? A down year in the conference with not one quad one win and a weak conference schedule....  

please tell me in year 7 we have an identity, we have a system in place that is well executed.  That in year 7 we have a deep bench who can come in and execute.  Please tell me how many high school, hell even juco recruits Miles has signed who have exhausted their eligibility here.  

Again, sing “I will go down with this ship” on the Miles bandwagon. 

I have not been beating any of those drums about which you speak.  Perhaps you should go back and read the posts after the Rutgers game.  But this is about those who show up after it's  over claiming how "right" and brilliant they were all along.    Go ahead and be that douche, it's pretty obvious.   Pile on and dance on graves so we can be reminded of your brilliance.   

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I will go down with the ship because I bleed red and am a fan.  I won't have revisionist history here.  I expected a special year and have been very disappointed in the last several weeks.  If the season doesn't turn around, then I will reluctantly be on board for a coaching change despite how much I like Miles and how I feel he has elevated this program.  Make no mistake, Nebraska is better off now then we were when Miles took over.  However, for all of you that are adament we fire Miles, just be careful what you wish for.  There is no guarantee of a home run hire...we could have another 10 years of Collier/Sadler and our talent base could drop off considerably.  Which, by the way, Sadler was a great guy and like @hskr4life said, that termination press conference was brutal to watch.  Really hope we beat Maryland, get on a little roll and not have to watch Miles go through something similar.

This is where I am at 100%

I don't think questioning the coach has anything to do with loyalty. We all bleed red. The question is if the program at this level is acceptable to you. For some, it was unacceptable two years ago apparently, which is their right, but they missed out on the enjoyment of last year. I'm not giving up on this season because we did the work in noncon to get us into the NCAA if we can just play decent ball the rest of the way. But for heavens sake, Miles has been here 7 years, if he can't get this team to the NCAA, how can you possibly think he's the long-term solution? If that makes me disloyal, then &%&% it.

I also don't feel the need to preface every assessment of the program with "I like Miles ..... ." I don't care one way or the other about whether he's a great guy, I want to win. He gets paid a lot of money, and he knew what was expected of him. If he's out of work, he leaves $millions richer than any of us. 

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I will go down with the ship because I bleed red and am a fan.  I won't have revisionist history here.  I expected a special year and have been very disappointed in the last several weeks.  If the season doesn't turn around, then I will reluctantly be on board for a coaching change despite how much I like Miles and how I feel he has elevated this program.  Make no mistake, Nebraska is better off now then we were when Miles took over.  However, for all of you that are adament we fire Miles, just be careful what you wish for.  There is no guarantee of a home run hire...we could have another 10 years of Collier/Sadler and our talent base could drop off considerably.  Which, by the way, Sadler was a great guy and like @hskr4life said, that termination press conference was brutal to watch.  Really hope we beat Maryland, get on a little roll and not have to watch Miles go through something similar.

While I can't disagree that the program is a better place now than it was 8 years ago, I think a lot of people undervalue what PBA and Haymarket/Railyard have done to elevate Nebraska Basketball. I think the better fan experience is a bigger part of the program's "resurgence" than the coach and/or the play on the court. Now those fans want better results. And they're making it known.

While it may be viewed as "negative", it just means they care and want better results. That's not a bad thing.

Edited by dustystehl