Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

yup I’d imagine penn st goes after like a Nate oats from buffalo since he’s familiar w the area where as he probably won’t be as high on our list having no Midwest ties that I know of

It's funny you mention Oats because while he's coaching in Buffalo he's from Wisconsin and has recruiting ties there and Michigan which would make him attractive to both places if they're looking.

I find it very difficult to believe that Eric Mussleman will leave Nevada.  You read this article and you may get that same feeling.  But I guess if money is the driving force, then maybe.  I believe he makes about $1 million per year at Nevada....he is the highest paid public employee in the state.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25869944/how-eric-musselman-turned-reno-nevada-basketball-capital

45 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's funny you mention Oats because while he's coaching in Buffalo he's from Wisconsin and has recruiting ties there and Michigan which would make him attractive to both places if they're looking.

I have good sources on Oates. He is no rush to take a power 5 job just because it’s a power 5 job. Now yes, he’s not gonna stay at Buffalo past this season, but he will not go to a higher level school that is a coaching graveyard. I remember hearing that Rutgers is a no go, I can’t remember if PSU was on that list or not 

My first choice would be to hire Armon Gates. 

1. Proven recruiter at Nebraska. Midwest guy with experience in Texas and Florida.

2. Him staying will likely prevent us from having to blow everything up and start over...again. I think he would be able to keep everybody in the fold

3. He has a great resume. The only thing missing is being head coach, but he has a lot experience as an assistant at the highest level of D1.

4. It's time for us to take a serious look at an AA. 

Despite Miles failings, the one thing he has done better, by far, than our previous 2 coaches has been that as a recruiter.

There is absolutely no need to blow everything up by bringing in a brand new coach and completely starting over.

My one major problem with Miles is thought of starting all over again. Mass exodus of players, and having to suffer through another rebuild is probably the main reason I want to retain Miles. Retaining Gates, at least on a trial basis is better than starting over...again.

I encourage everybody to take a good look at his resume, which I believe should make him a very viable candidate.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

1. Proven recruiter at Nebraska. Midwest guy with experience in Texas and Florida.

2. Him staying will likely prevent us from having to blow everything up and start over...again. I think he would be able to keep everybody in the fold

3. He has a great resume. The only thing missing is being head coach, but he has a lot experience as an assistant at the highest level of D1.

Despite Miles failings, the one thing he has done better, by far, than our previous 2 coaches has been that as a recruiter.

There is absolutely no need to blow everything up by bringing in a brand new coach and completely starting over.

My one major problem with Miles is thought of starting all over again. Mass exodus of players, and having to suffer through another rebuild is probably the main reason I want to retain Miles. Retaining Gates, at least on a trial basis is better than starting over...again.

I encourage everybody to take a good look at his resume, which I believe should make him a very viable candidate.

Ron - I agree with your post so please understand my question is a pure lack of me knowing.  You say proven recruiter at Nebraska, who has he brought in?

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

If we're picking someone from the current staff (which won't be happening...) Michael Lewis is the guy.

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

Baller. But micheal Lewis has gotten more talent(he’s also the recruiter for instate kids) and he already does a fair amount of coaching from the bench 

I'm not going to put much, if any energy, into justifying why I like Gates over others debating the minutiae. if people can suggest Hoiberg, Kent, etc I don't think it is out the realm to suggest Gates.

Unless something public comes to light that I'm not aware of, which is always a possibility, then I'm going to stick to my preference, and that is all it is, a preference.

20 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

We're starting all over anyways.  We lose 3, possibly 4 starters and your number 6 guy off the bench in Borchardt (using the roster before the Copeland injury.    Next year is a rebuild regardless.  Hire a proven winner if you want to win.

14 minutes ago, nustudent said:

We're starting all over anyways.  We lose 3, possibly 4 starters and your number 6 guy off the bench in Borchardt (using the roster before the Copeland injury.    Next year is a rebuild regardless.  Hire a proven winner if you want to win.

I think so, too. Next season is as good as any to blow the thing up if that's the decision. I'm hoping somehow we play our way out of this because, like others, I"m tired of the losing streak on mid-major roulette and I admit a personal fondness for Timmeh. But I generally like all our coaches, except Collier left me cold but that was just his personality was so low-key. He was by all accounts a good guy. 

Still, if roster retention is the big argument to save Miles, then really you don't have an argument to save Miles. 

20 minutes ago, lanigan123 said:

Sampson is intriguing....  Above everything else we need a proven recruiter. I wish we would have had current assistants with Kenya for a few years.  Next year is a rebuild no matter what, with some starter pieces if they can keep them 

Good Lord, they really are coming out of the woodwork in the dark times.    Prepare for 2 months of troll season.  Good timing to make a comeback,  Lanigan.  

I am surprised at how many here assume all the guys here like the staff ... or Miles at least. Yes, they chose to be here but lots of the time I think they are sold playing time and niceities and then they get here and I wonder if they don't like the culture or the reality of being coached by Miles. One has to question that when we've had multiple guys in the past who were starters and left and the like. Next year could be ugly whether Miles is here or not. It stays ugly if he is ...