Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Just now, dustystehl said:

I totally understand the purpose of your post. My point is that literally every major program in the country has also had pretty good teams, too. It's fun to reminisce, but personally, it's just tough for me to take solace in those memories when we are the only school - THE ONLY ONE - to have never won a tournament game. It is truly mind boggling that none of the good teams you listed have ever won a tournament game. It's embarrassing. I know that's not the "end all, be all" measurement of a program, but when you're the LAST ONE still waiting for it, it just hurts even more.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Sorry if this gets long but decided to do some research after jayschool provided some good history on records. I started listening to Nebraska basketball on a radio in my parents kitchen when Jerry Fort was the star. And I also remember some Nebraska teams that had pretty good seasons back then but the "Never Won An NCAA Tourney Game" mantra wan nowhere to be heard. So I only went back to the 1965-66 season because from what I found was there were very few successful seasons for Nebraska basketball before then. And those were 1)  1st place in the Big 6 in 1936-37 in which I have no doubt there would've been an NCAA tourney bid/win but the NCAA tourney didn't start until 1939. 2) Tied for 1st place in Big 7  in 1948-49 and NU lost in NCAA District game to Oklahoma St. 3) Tied for 1st place in Big 7 in 1949-50 but was 3-way tie and probably had committee member with a bias. :)

So now listed is what I consider successful seasons followed by where they finished in conference and how many teams made the NCAA tourney that year. The reason for showing how many teams made the tourney was to show how close Nebraska was to possibly making the Big Dance.

1965-66    2nd       22-25 (not sure why there wasn't set number)

1966-67   T2nd     22-25   NIT

1967-68   T3rd      22-25

1969-70   T3rd      25

1973-74   4th        25

1974-75   4th        32

1975-76   3rd        32

1977-78   2nd       32        NIT

1979-80   T2nd     40        NIT

1980-81   T2nd     48

1982-83   T3rd      52        NIT semi-finalist

1983-84    3rd       53        NIT

1985-86    3rd       64        NCAA!!!!!

1986-87    5th       64        NIT 3rd place

***1987-88 first losing season in 15, yes 15 years, damn those fans were spoiled back then***

1990-91    3rd      64         NCAA

1991-92    5th      64         NCAA

1992-93    T2nd  64         NCAA

1993-94    4th      64        NCAA

1994-95    7th      64        NIT

1995-96    7th      64        NIT Champ

1996-97    7th      64        NIT          First year of Big 12

1997-98    4th      64        NIT

1998-99    5th      64        NIT

2003-04    9th      65        NIT

2005-06    6th      65        NIT

2007-08    T7th    65       NIT

2008-09    8th      65       NIT

2010-11    7th      68       NIT

2013-14    4th      68       NIT          Member of Big 10

2017-18    4th      68      NIT

And maybe it isn't so much in the last 15 years but those teams that finished 2nd or 3rd in the Big 8 back in late 70's early 80's when the tournament doubled expansion Nebraska should've been in. And with that "NWANTG" wouldn't be such a heavy burden. But it sure makes a person think and wonder what the selection process was at that time. If I get crazy I may look up those old brackets and complain to a now probably dead bracketologist from that time.

And what else should a guy do with his time when it's too cold to work outside.  

There was a Rutgers guy trolling us after our loss and scoffed at how we could never win an NCAA game.

Well it's simple.

1. Be in the same conference as Kansas when only the #1 team qualifies for the tournament, even if your team is better than others in that tournament.

2. Be Nebraska who is cursed with bad timing and bad luck.

a. If the NET was implemented one year earlier, we're likely in the tournament.

b. In 2014 all we had to do was beat Baylor and have a shot at an in-state rivalry game. Of course that could never happen.

c. Have your strongest starting 5 in the past 20+ years and shoot yourself in the foot by going from a #4 seed to out of the tournament in a matter of weeks.

d. Having coaches get themselves into trouble, or just up and leaving with little notice, or crying and begging to take our team to the gloryland as they give a speech after they're fired.

e. Getting a coach to nearly sign the paperwork, but then his wife doesn't want to live here so he goes go Kansas instead.

The list goes on and on.

14 hours ago, PimpMario said:

But we haven't ever been really good under Miles.  What exactly are you advocating?

Not advocating for anything.  Just responding to the comment about how many current recruits a new coach could retain.  Sounds like you would agree it doesn't really matter if we keep any of them.  We'll be starting over, most likely a multiyear project to look forward to, no matter how many recruits are retained is all I was trying to say.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Because we know as a fact he would be better than Coach Miles?  If we fire his friend and mentor, do you really believe he would want to come here?

THANK YOU. I keep seeing his name pop up and as much as I like what he's done at South Dakota and doing at Utah State, I can't believe for a second that a., Bill Moos would bark up the same tree, and b., Smith would do anything besides hang up the phone. I'm pretty confident in saying that ship sailed.

Lee Barfknecht actually printed Eric Musselman's name two years ago as someone we had "reached out to" to gauge his interest. Say what you want about Lee as a reporter, he's not dumb enough to actually run someone's name if he wasn't dang sure that happened -- and if he wasn't interested then, and has only increased his stock since, why on earth would he be interested now?

The Pierre Pierce thing at Iowa is enough to make me never want to live in the same DMA as Steve Alford. Seriously, if you haven't looked that up, do it, and please please please reconsider if that's the type of leadership you want here. Using an alleged "prayer meeting" to try to intimidate a rape victim into silence -- to protect a player who would go on to be a repeat offender -- is more despicable than I can even find words for, and personally I would rather lose every game for the rest of time than bring someone on board who is willing to do that in exchange for maybe a few more wins.

2 hours ago, dustystehl said:

I totally understand the purpose of your post. My point is that literally every major program in the country has also had pretty good teams, too. It's fun to reminisce, but personally, it's just tough for me to take solace in those memories when we are the only school - THE ONLY ONE - to have never won a tournament game. It is truly mind boggling that none of the good teams you listed have ever won a tournament game. It's embarrassing. I know that's not the "end all, be all" measurement of a program, but when you're the LAST ONE still waiting for it, it just hurts even more.

We're there with you, Brother Dusty. 

Edited by jayschool

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Because we know as a fact he would be better than Coach Miles?  If we fire his friend and mentor, do you really believe he would want to come here?

No, but do we know for a fact that he won't?  Nobody is a lock to do well here as we've learned the last 100 years.  I'm sure it would be very uncomfortable for him but hard to turn down an opportunity to coach in a major conference.  If Miles is truly his friend, he would be happy and support his decision and rise in the coaching ranks.

9 hours ago, rr52 said:

Have a friend who occasionally golfs with one of Hoibergs relatives around Grand Island and this topic has come up. And he says that Fred isn't interested in coaching at Nebraska. Whether this is true or not I'm don't know but sometimes money can change a persons mind.

It is true

3 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

The Pierre Pierce thing at Iowa is enough to make me never want to live in the same DMA as Steve Alford. Seriously, if you haven't looked that up, do it, and please please please reconsider if that's the type of leadership you want here. Using an alleged "prayer meeting" to try to intimidate a rape victim into silence -- to protect a player who would go on to be a repeat offender -- is more despicable than I can even find words for, and personally I would rather lose every game for the rest of time than bring someone on board who is willing to do that in exchange for maybe a few more wins.

Gonna be competing against Indiana and penn st for a coach it’s starting to look like  

16 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Gonna be competing against Indiana and penn st for a coach it’s starting to look like  

That's why this "wait until the end of the season, and wait for my soup to cool down" philosophy is a little worrisome with Moos. But then again, if he's having conversations in the background while the season is wrapping up, then this worry is all but overblown.

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:
2 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If you're looking for a coach that is also considering Penn State --- you have failed.

Based on the last two decades, we have failed. :(

9 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If you're looking for a coach that is also considering Penn State --- you have failed.

You mean the school in the same conference as us, with a more recent tourney appearance, nit champs last year, that is closer to more fertile recruiting areas than Nebraska?

Because I guarantee that is how coaches looking for jobs see it

37 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

You mean the school in the same conference as us, with a more recent tourney appearance, nit champs last year, that is closer to more fertile recruiting areas than Nebraska?

Because I guarantee that is how coaches looking for jobs see it

None of that will matter if Penn St doesn't actually pony up.  Last listed salary for Chambers that I can find had him at 900K a year.  Sorry, Nebraska is going to be far more attractive to coaches if we are offering double to triple the pay. 

15 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

None of that will matter if Penn St doesn't actually pony up.  Last listed salary for Chambers that I can find had him at 900K a year.  Sorry, Nebraska is going to be far more attractive to coaches if we are offering double to triple the pay. 

I know that. What the original post was saying is that we shouldn't even consider coaches Penn St is considering. I'm saying that the job isn't better as far as reputation & chance to be successful.  Obviously if we are offerering 2x the salary, that changes the equation.

But how sure are we that Nebraska is even willing to break the bank to win that sort of bidding war?

Apropos of nothing, Pat Chambers is not making $900K. That's the last reported figure from when he was first hired (and regurgitated in 2013 because Pennsylvania's Right to Know laws don't cover coach salaries). He signed a new contract last year, but the salary number isn't available -- but I would bet (900K) dollars to donuts that he's had a raise of some sort in 7 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Nebraska basketball compared to the Big Ten:

-12th in the Big Ten in all time win percentage; behind Penn State, ahead of Rutgers and NW

-Tied for 12th with Maryland in Regular season conference championships; ahead of NW and Penn St (Penn St is an odd case with their conference affiliations)

-12th in tournament appearances; ahead of Rutgers and NW

Not really a gimmie that a coach would choose Nebraska over other teams in the bottom half/third of the conference.

5 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

I know that. What the original post was saying is that we shouldn't even consider coaches Penn St is considering. I'm saying that the job isn't better as far as reputation & chance to be successful.  Obviously if we are offerering 2x the salary, that changes the equation.

But how sure are we that Nebraska is even willing to break the bank to win that sort of bidding war?

If the bidding war starts at 1Million I feel pretty good about our chances.  Tim Miles is projected to make 2.5 million next year.  If we get serious about trying to land someone not from a mid major it would not surprise me to see us offer 3 Million a year. 

I can't speak for the reputation but I'm not so sure Penn St is considered in higher regard than Nebraska.  1. For the reason above and 2. As of last year they were last in the Big 10 in spending for basketball.  If PSU is not willing to get serious about basketball I'm not sure they will be all that attractive. 

12 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Apropos of nothing, Pat Chambers is not making $900K. That's the last reported figure from when he was first hired (and regurgitated in 2013 because Pennsylvania's Right to Know laws don't cover coach salaries). He signed a new contract last year, but the salary number isn't available -- but I would bet (900K) dollars to donuts that he's had a raise of some sort in 7 years.

For sure he's not making 900K right now.  I bet he's also not slated to make 2.5 million next year.  Miles made 500K more than him right off the bat.  That's a pretty good chunk of change compared to coaching at a school that doesn't appear to be very serious about basketball. 

They averaged just over 7K last year in attendance.  People just don't care.  Maybe that will change if they build a winner but I'm choosing Nebraska over Penn St if I have more resources, getting paid more money, and have more support. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

For sure he's not making 900K right now.  I bet he's also not slated to make 2.5 million next year.  Miles made 500K more than him right off the bat.  That's a pretty good chunk of change compared to coaching at a school that doesn't appear to be very serious about basketball. 

They averaged just over 7K last year in attendance.  People just don't care.  Maybe that will change if they build a winner but I'm choosing Nebraska over Penn St if I have more resources, getting paid more money, and have more support. 
Not arguing that Nebraska has more butts in the seats, and when it's said and done we may pay more than Penn State (purely conjecture, who knows at this point -- that's also straight school money, not counting any perks packages, which I would guess are significant if they work that hard to keep pay numbers out of the public record)...I was just countering the idea that we are willing to pay 2-3 times the salary, which I have a very very hard time believing would be true.

The thing about Penn St potentially opening up and us potentially opening up is that there is a geography difference that would limit candidates that would make sense and Penn St isn't definitively a better job where it would they would probably win.  If there is a good coach available from New Hampshire St we doubtfully would go after that guy; a dude from Iowa Tech that is thought highly of is probably not going to be on Penn St's radar (I am making up school names so sorry if these are actual schools).  The Penn St job also isn't Illinois or Minnesota, which would be jobs that we lose out to in a direct competition (looking at you John Groce)

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The thing about Penn St potentially opening up and us potentially opening up is that there is a geography difference that would limit candidates that would make sense and Penn St isn't definitively a better job where it would they would probably win.  If there is a good coach available from New Hampshire St we doubtfully would go after that guy; a dude from Iowa Tech that is thought highly of is probably not going to be on Penn St's radar (I am making up school names so sorry if these are actual schools).  The Penn St job also isn't Illinois or Minnesota, which would be jobs that we lose out to in a direct competition (looking at you John Groce)

yup I’d imagine penn st goes after like a Nate oats from buffalo since he’s familiar w the area where as he probably won’t be as high on our list having no Midwest ties that I know of