Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

I would take Lue immediately if he was interested.  He wasn’t hand picked by Lebron because he was a minion.  He was already a well respected assistant in the league.  We’d be crazy to pass on a championship coach with that many connections to the league.  There is also a built in respect that incoming recruits have for coaches who were elite players.  

18 hours ago, LK1 said:

I would take Lue immediately if he was interested.  He wasn’t hand picked by Lebron because he was a minion.  He was already a well respected assistant in the league.  We’d be crazy to pass on a championship coach with that many connections to the league.  There is also a built in respect that incoming recruits have for coaches who were elite players.  

Real quick, can you remind me of Lue's coaching style? Outscore teams in a run and gun shootout? Play lockdown defense and take the air out of the ball? 

Orrrrr.... Give the best basketball player in the history of the sport the ball and tell him to win lots of games?

On 1/26/2019 at 10:29 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

Also he took over for Collier the year Collier came to Nebraska. Maybe some weird curse ending stuff at play there.

This is what I love about sports and their fanbases, you make silly statements like this but it's actually a legitimate point for people to consider...

Just made me step back and smile, so thank you @The Polish Rifle

53 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Real quick, can you remind me of Lue's coaching style? Outscore teams in a run and gun shootout? Play lockdown defense and take the air out of the ball? 

Orrrrr.... Give the best basketball player in the history of the sport the ball and tell him to win lots of games?

Bronny James is 14 years old now, so maybe we just get him the ball starting in 2023.

1 hour ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I think he'd use his acumen as Nebraska's best point guard ever--all conference and a first round draft pick, his two NBA championships as a player under Phil Jackson, his decade plus playing career, his time as a lauded assistant under another NBA championship coach (Doc Rivers), and his championship level coaching at Cleveland which got him the mid-season recommendation from the smartest player ever because of how well he relates to players.  

When Lue took over and coached Cleveland to an impossible championship in 2016, he completely changed the offense from what Blatt was doing midseason to his preferred up-tempo offense against LBJ's wishes, got the team in better shape, and had them playing great defense by the time Game 7 rolled around.  With that system, they would've won two more had KD not joined the Warriors.  

Of course it takes great players to win championships, but it takes great coaching as well.  They aren't mutually exclusive, as you seem to be indicating.  

Hopefully that helps.  

17 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think he'd use his acumen as Nebraska's best point guard ever--all conference and a first round draft pick, his two NBA championships as a player under Phil Jackson, his decade plus playing career, his time as a lauded assistant under another NBA championship coach (Doc Rivers), and his championship level coaching at Cleveland which got him the mid-season recommendation from the smartest player ever because of how well he relates to players.  

When Lue took over and coached Cleveland to an impossible championship in 2016, he completely changed the offense from what Blatt was doing midseason to his preferred up-tempo offense against LBJ's wishes, got the team in better shape, and had them playing great defense by the time Game 7 rolled around.  With that system, they would've won two more had KD not joined the Warriors.  

Of course it takes great players to win championships, but it takes great coaching as well.  They aren't mutually exclusive, as you seem to be indicating.  

Hopefully that helps.  

Yes, thank you! 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:52 AM, basketballjones said:

Doc 101-89, Miles 110-103

Bring Doc back, higher winning percentage! Just kidding

Those of you calling for Lue - if he didn’t play for Nebraska - what % of this board would even know who he is? Loved his time at NU. Did some cool stuff in the NBA - but as a coach, all he’s done so far is be a buddy of Lebron’s. I don’t want to hear about him winning a title. That’s 100% Lebron. 

At minimum, you at least need to run that thought experiment with yourself. If you remove him playing for NU, and still think he’d be a great choice, 1. I think you’re lying 2. then all the power to you. 

When you consider faciltiies each had at their disposal...Doc's record is even more impressive than Miles.

22 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Why do people think that Fred Hoiberg wouldn't consider Nebraska.

Half his family is from Nebraska and his grandfather once coached at Nebraska.

I think he could take a job at Nebraska and get 6 years, if he takes a job like UCLA...he might only get 3 years to turn it around.

Because he didn't want to recruit at his alma mater, why would he want to here?

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

When Lue took over and coached Cleveland to an impossible championship in 2016, he completely changed the offense from what Blatt was doing midseason

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Blatt was winning 3 of every 4 games until he got fired (30-11) running the front of the pack in the NBA. Lue took over and went 66% (27-14) to finish it the season.

Blatt was fired for political reasons, but that doesn't mean either of the two were a better coach. What has been consistent between the staff changes is the team.

This is the article about Hoiberg.  He doesn't like recruiting though he doesn't think anyone likes recruiting. 

I'm not sure that means that he never wants to be a college coach again at some point. 

Otherwise for anyone who thinks that transfers aren't the way to build a program that's basically how Hoiberg and Musselman have operated.

34 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Blatt was winning 3 of every 4 games until he got fired (30-11) running the front of the pack in the NBA. Lue took over and went 66% (27-14) to finish it the season.

Blatt was fired for political reasons, but that doesn't mean either of the two were a better coach. What has been consistent between the staff changes is the team.

Lue had to install a different philosophy on both ends of the court and get the players in good enough shape to run the system in the middle of the season.  Rather than look at the overall record, look at how they finished:  16-5 in the playoffs, 3 of which were losses to what was at the time arguably the best team ever.  Blatt's system was never going to beat Golden State.  

I am not saying that Hoiberg would pick Nebraska...but I do think he would consider it...esepcially if he intends to go the transfer route like he did at Iowa State...

If you are at UCLA as an example, i don't think the transfer strategy would fly.

At Nebraska, it might be a perfect fit for the way for what he did at Iowa State.

29 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I am not saying that Hoiberg would pick Nebraska...but I do think he would consider it...esepcially if he intends to go the transfer route like he did at Iowa State...

If you are at UCLA as an example, i don't think the transfer strategy would fly.

At Nebraska, it might be a perfect fit for the way for what he did at Iowa State.

He won't consider it.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, Blindcheck said:

When you consider faciltiies each had at their disposal...Doc's record is even more impressive than Miles.

Keep in mind Doc only tried to schedule cupcakes in the non-conference schedule to rack up wins.  If Doc played the schedule that Miles schedules, his record would be much worse.

Edited by kldm64

I am sort of surprised that nobody has mentioned John Wooden, oh wait, he passed away.  Okay, okay, then how about Dean Smith, oh man, what do you mean he has passed away as well.  Well crap, then perhaps we should go with a Midwestern pedigree; someone like Bobby Knight or hey, Steve Alford is available...

24 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am sort of surprised that nobody has mentioned John Wooden, oh wait, he passed away.  Okay, okay, then how about Dean Smith, oh man, what do you mean he has passed away as well.  Well crap, then perhaps we should go with a Midwestern pedigree; someone like Bobby Knight or hey, Steve Alford is available...

Gene Hackman's still alive.