Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

4 hours ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

Like that inbounds play where you throw it long and no one touches it?

Hard to imagine any coach worse at end of game playcalling than McDermott.  Guess he fits only two of PimpMario’s criteria.

Edited by JayPak

10 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If Miles is fired I’d add Shaka Smart to the list. He is failing at Texas but perhaps an underdog type role at Nebraska is what fits him. 

No on Shaka. He's a disaster at Texas with access to the top players in the state. Open the checkbook for Matta or even  Kelvin Sampson. No more mid-majors, no matter how far they get in the tourney, please.

Doc 101-89, Miles 110-103

Bring Doc back, higher winning percentage! Just kidding

Those of you calling for Lue - if he didn’t play for Nebraska - what % of this board would even know who he is? Loved his time at NU. Did some cool stuff in the NBA - but as a coach, all he’s done so far is be a buddy of Lebron’s. I don’t want to hear about him winning a title. That’s 100% Lebron. 

At minimum, you at least need to run that thought experiment with yourself. If you remove him playing for NU, and still think he’d be a great choice, 1. I think you’re lying 2. then all the power to you. 

Pass on Lue. While he’d have the NU connection and may be a “big” name, this isn’t the same as Scott Frost coming in to save our program. Lue inherited a roster that had the number one player on it. Lue has never recruited in the college game before, and we dont know his X’s and O’s and philosophy. Get someone that’s had division 1 coaching success and a proven record of recruiting players on a national scale, and developing talent. 

13 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Thad Matta would absolutely be target numero uno...saying that.. cant see him coming here unfortunately. Who knows though. 

Something just feels off to me about the Matta idea ... I may be wrong on this, as when I think it through it makes a lot of sense but ... can't quite put my finger on it. I guess he'd have a good feel for the B1G and what would it hurt ... this is going to be really interesting to see what happens.

53 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Pass on Lue. While he’d have the NU connection and may be a “big” name, this isn’t the same as Scott Frost coming in to save our program. Lue inherited a roster that had the number one player on it. Lue has never recruited in the college game before, and we dont know his X’s and O’s and philosophy. Get someone that’s had division 1 coaching success and a proven record of recruiting players on a national scale, and developing talent. 

Agreed ... and Lue is a bit frosty (understandably) toward the university. Being a coach in the NBA is more about managing personalities than Xs and Os imho. And I'm not so sure Lue is very good at either honestly.

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

It looks like Miles has recruited pretty well for the future (minus a big). I wonder how many of those guys might decommit if he leaves?

"Pretty well" is not how I would describe it ... look at the roster and commits and it scream rebuild to me ... and like all of his teams lacks people with defined roles and positions.

37 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

"Pretty well" is not how I would describe it ... look at the roster and commits and it scream rebuild to me ... and like all of his teams lacks people with defined roles and positions.

If everyone sticks and returns, I actually think we can compete provided we get a grad transfer big.  

I think Allen, Burke, green will end up a pretty solid 1-3.   MAW, Harris and Nana are solid reserves.   

5 minutes ago, nustudent said:

If everyone sticks and returns, I actually think we can compete provided we get a grad transfer big.  

I think Allen, Burke, green will end up a pretty solid 1-3.   MAW, Harris and Nana are solid reserves.   

Gotta be a swift transition if we make a change. New coach needs to sell the guys on campus and go out and fill the obvious holes. Also Moos needs to get a guy with the personality to sell the guys that are already here.

18 hours ago, BmoreRed said:

Mainly I just don't think star power or a quick fix is possible  or smart at GONU.

I feel we need a program builder, and that's why I like a guy like Wes Miller. Of course you could just say that he's just Tim Miles 2.0... 

I would be okay with a program builder.  Miles hasn't really built a program at all.  His current MO is "cross fingers and hope to get lucky in the transfer market."

4 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

I would be okay with a program builder.  Miles hasn't really built a program at all.  His current MO is "cross fingers and hope to get lucky in the transfer market."

I don't think Miles intended the roster strategy to go the way it has with the transfer market when he first came here. It seems like he got to a point in his tenure where it was about trying to bridge the gaps and slap a temporary bandaid on it to get him through to the next year. It wasn't until this season where we felt like we had a complete starting roster, but we were also left very thin. He lucked out the last couple of seasons by not having any major injuries, until now. But I will give him some credit; he had done really well in the transfer market. Unfortunately, he hasn't able to compliment that with some more stable recruits to provide us more consistency and depth.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't think Miles intended the roster strategy to go the way it has with the transfer market when he first came here. It seems like he got to a point in his tenure where it was about trying to bridge the gaps and slap a temporary bandaid on it to get him through to the next year. It wasn't until this season where we felt like we had a complete starting roster, but we were also left very thin. He lucked out the last couple of seasons by not having any major injuries, until now. But I will give him some credit; he had done really well in the transfer market. Unfortunately, he hasn't able to compliment that with some more stable recruits to provide us more consistency and depth.

I see what you're saying and I understand the transfer market is important.  But it needs to be used to supplement a team.  To take a good team to great.  Not to be an entire strategy.  You can say he didn't plan on it but it happened.

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

It looks like Miles has recruited pretty well for the future (minus a big). I wonder how many of those guys might decommit if he leaves?

it's definitely not a good enough class to save miles job. i would think we'd have a good chance at keeping most of them. donovan, jervay, arop are all currently playing in nebraska so that helps.

20 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

lue has a lot more star power than eddie jordan. he coached lebron and played with shaq/kobe. he's a champion as a player and coach. i think he could draw a lot of attention to the program.

i have no idea if he has any interest in coaching at the college level though. i would imagine he'd want another nba job.

penny hardaway had zero coaching experience and has the #2 recruit signed. i think name recognition can go a long way.

He has 3 very good recruits signed to Memphis and all of them are from Tennessee. 

How good is he with the Xs and Os?  Someone sell me on that.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

For the sake of debate -- isn't this potentially a byproduct of the past three years' cycle of one-year "prove it this year" extensions? Without the administrative backing to focus on developing four-year players (or making the attempt, considering the prevalence of transfers nationally), the focus would necessarily HAVE to be bandaids for the next year because future years are dependent on immediate success. Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

23 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

For the sake of debate -- isn't this potentially a byproduct of the past three years' cycle of one-year "prove it this year" extensions? Without the administrative backing to focus on developing four-year players (or making the attempt, considering the prevalence of transfers nationally), the focus would necessarily HAVE to be bandaids for the next year because future years are dependent on immediate success. Seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

You'd have a point if he changed how he organized his roster over the past couple seasons. But the truth his TM has always leaned heavy on transfers. Colorado St was built around guys like Wes Eikmeier and Colton Iverson. Our early teams were built around Petteway and Pitchford. Our Current team is built around Palmer and Cope. We have Burke waiting in the wings. To blame his contract situation is to ignore how he has operated his entire career. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

I still very much cringe about this topic and any talk about "the next coach" when we already have a respected coach.  But everyone here seems to salivate regarding Hoiberg.   If I recall correctly, he had zero experience when Iowa State took a risk on him.  We apparently have had little luck with our process IF the expectation is to win NCAA tournament games.  In fact, using that as the standard, we have been flat out terrible.  Of course that could change IF something positive could happen for us over the next few months.  Back to my point, if we want to take a higher level risk, perhaps we should look to someone like Pike as our next coach?

By the way, tell me the issues you have with our current assistant coaches?  

Edited by Huskerpapa

46 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

You'd have a point if he changed how he organized his roster over the past couple seasons. But the truth his TM has always leaned heavy on transfers. Colorado St was built around guys like Wes Eikmeier and Colton Iverson. Our early teams were built around Petteway and Pitchford. Our Current team is built around Palmer and Cope. We have Burke waiting in the wings. To blame his contract situation is to ignore how he has operated his entire career. 

Getting into the minutiae here -- yeah, he used a lot of juco and transfer guys at CSU to start out, but I'd probably argue the heart of his rosters once he got through the first couple years (and I think anyone would agree that was a MASSIVE rebuild that required some hole-plugging right away) was four-year players complemented by a couple transfers. Yes, Wes Eikmeier and Colton Iverson were transfers, but Greg and Dwight Smith, Dorian Green, Pierce Hornung, and Jesse Carr were all four-year players who played a pretty important role on his last couple teams, and Wes was a transfer after a single year at Iowa State (so a 4-to-play-3 guy, not exactly a one-and-done to fill a gap). Iverson didn't even actually play for him, did he? (Google says he sat out in 11-12...)

All that to say -- I don't know that I'd say this his how he's operated his entire career. (Granted, I haven't paid any attention to the pre-CSU days, so I could be wrong on that.) I think the nature of recruiting is different now than it was in 2011, and the prevalence of transfers has changed a lot of things, too. I can understand wanting to criticize... but I don't think it's exactly accurate to say that Colorado State, at least after years 1-2, was built around transfers like Wes and Colton either.

4 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Getting into the minutiae here -- yeah, he used a lot of juco and transfer guys at CSU to start out, but I'd probably argue the heart of his rosters once he got through the first couple years (and I think anyone would agree that was a MASSIVE rebuild that required some hole-plugging right away) was four-year players complemented by a couple transfers. Yes, Wes Eikmeier and Colton Iverson were transfers, but Greg and Dwight Smith, Dorian Green, Pierce Hornung, and Jesse Carr were all four-year players who played a pretty important role on his last couple teams, and Wes was a transfer after a single year at Iowa State (so a 4-to-play-3 guy, not exactly a one-and-done to fill a gap). Iverson didn't even actually play for him, did he? (Google says he sat out in 11-12...)

All that to say -- I don't know that I'd say this his how he's operated his entire career. (Granted, I haven't paid any attention to the pre-CSU days, so I could be wrong on that.) I think the nature of recruiting is different now than it was in 2011, and the prevalence of transfers has changed a lot of things, too. I can understand wanting to criticize... but I don't think it's exactly accurate to say that Colorado State, at least after years 1-2, was built around transfers like Wes and Colton either.

Iverson didn’t play under him, but committed under him and was a big reason the year after TM left, CSU was so successful. I think Miles knows how hard it is to build a roster of 4 and 5 star HS kids at Nebraska so he’s dipped into the transfer market quite a bit (and done a good job of getting quality transfers). I just think it’s wrong to say this roster is a product of the administration. I think this is a roster TM tried to build, and granted there are holes but this roster is talented enough to make an NCAA tournament. Anything less is on coaching/development.