Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

14 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Ruck I don't always agree with what Norm says or most any other poster here.  I do try when I disagree (doesn't always happen) to no down vote them for their view (unless it just really warrants it) but to explain my view in a civil manner. I think the thing that gets newbies on here in trouble is when they come in with the I know something and when questioned on it (as was pointed out it has happened many times over the years) and they get their undies in a bunch and tell others they are wrong.  I don't know if you know Tim or a good friend of his.  Guessing what got folks on here riled up was the response given when they asked how you knew or questioned what was said.  I would prefer you not lurk but post.  

Myra!  The best way to build credibility is to post.  Answer to the mistakes, and take the praises when you’re right.

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

anybody have the rundown on how connected hoiberg actually is to the state of nebraska? how long did he actually live here? what family members/if any still live here?

Born in Lincoln but grew up in Ames.   His grandfather coached at NU late 50s-early 60s.   Died when Fred was 3 or 4 at the young age of 62.   Mom grew up here; dad has 3 degrees from UNL.   Niece (I stand corrected)  at UNL and an intern at NU basketball.   This next tidbit is no big deal, but Fred's parents are somehow connected to the parents of Ann Halsne, who played basketball here for 4 years in the late 80s/early 90s.    Can't remember if the 2 moms were sisters, or if they were just good friends.   

Edited by HB

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Born in Lincoln but grew up in Ames.   His grandfather coached at NU late 50s-early 60s.   Died when Fred was 3 or 4 at the young age of 62.   Mom grew up here; dad has 3 degrees from UNL.   Daughter at UNL and an intern at NU basketball.   This next tidbit is no big deal, but Fred's parents are somehow connected to the parents of Ann Halsne, who played basketball here for 4 years in the late 80s/early 90s.    Can't remember if the 2 moms were sisters, or if they were just good friends.   

I think it’s his niece who is at UNL...& daughter attends Kansas

2 minutes ago, pmd9 said:

I think it’s his niece who is at UNL...& daughter attends Kansas

correct; lost my mind there.   Also  RR52 posted earlier that he knew of a relative in Grand Island.   Just as well, as who knows what Norm might post about the daughter....?

Edited by HB

In regards to Hoiberg, what makes him such an exciting hire to most people here?  I am not saying I wouldn't want him at all.  I possibly just don't see it as quite the home run that others do.  I did just look at his 5 year run at Iowa St.  It was extremely impressive.   Would he be good with player development?  I would think we would get more shooting here than in a long while(not saying much).  Just interested in thoughts from others on why this would be the right guy.  

4 minutes ago, royalfan said:

In regards to Hoiberg, what makes him such an exciting hire to most people here?  I am not saying I wouldn't want him at all.  I possibly just don't see it as quite the home run that others do.  I did just look at his 5 year run at Iowa St.  It was extremely impressive.   Would he be good with player development?  I would think we would get more shooting here than in a long while(not saying much).  Just interested in thoughts from others on why this would be the right guy.  

I would say, for me, it's having success in a Power 6 conference.  I don't think we have ever went that route before when hiring a new coach.  There are some questions with him in regards to recruiting effort he would put forth.  I do think it's an upgrade from Miles

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Seems like Severe confirming the rumor.

That would be another major hit to Moos' PR.  Making a deal BEFORE the other coach is fired is a horrible tactic.  Add to that, if it should be announced next week sometime, what if Nebraska goes to the NIT championship games.  Makes me think it is not Nebraska, and probably an NBA job.

After a period of mourning our disappointing season, it's fun to return to HHC to see the passion that exists for Husker hoops. Several weeks ago, I heard what I considered to be credible information that an "agreement in principle" had been reached with Dana Altman. The reason I found it at least plausible is because it was consistent with something I heard from another person who had "first hand" knowledge of an alleged meeting somewhere "outside of Lincoln." Perhaps pieces of those stories were true and Altman used this as leverage for his contract extension at Oregon. Who knows. I've learned over time that until the announcement is made and a new coach is introduced to the public, it's all merely speculation. I am not even close to being an insider. Nonetheless, part of the reason it's enjoyable to discuss these scenarios is because we have such a passion for our team. 

The bottom line for me is that I will root for the success of whoever happens to be the coach next year, be it Miles or someone else. My hope would be that we could lure a proven coach who has won at a power 5 school. The exception would be for a guy who comes from a distinguished coaching tree where he has learned how to create an identity for a program and is a proven recruiter. I will say that unless we have been in discussions with such a person and it's essentially a done deal, I'd almost rather keep Miles than take another chance with a mid-major guy.  I didn't feel that way until we made our run in the tournament. 

My other hope is that "something" happens which will convince our fan base that being a legitimately competitive basketball program is important to the UNL administration. Pure speculation here, but I am wondering whether Moos' trip West included a stop somewhere, say Las Vegas or LA, to meet with representatives for a prospective coach? GBR and let's beat Butler!!

Edited by Coaches kid
typo