Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

This is nothing personal, Ron, but I am so sick and tired of our fanbase making this job seem so much harder than it actually is.

This state has produced two NBA Draft picks in the last three years, one of the all-time leading scorers in NCAA Division I history who will be on an NBA roster most likely next year, and a guy who is starting on a top-15 team. I didn’t have to go back more than three years to find a handful of great (not good, great) players. We recruited none of them seriously. 

Our arena is is one of the nicest you will find for any college anywhere, period. AND it is consistently full despite the team never being very good.

We pay our coach like we’re a top 25 program and get nothing close to that in return.

History and tradition might scare away some on the surface, but anyone who steps foot in the facilities and PBA would immediately not care about that. I can promise you recruits DEFINITELY don’t care. 

If it wasn’t already obvious, the one shining season we had this decade was clearly spearheaded by the guy who is doing it at Utah State now.

Sure there will be many coaches who say “Nebraska, shoot, no way. No one wins there.” But do 5 minutes of research and you’ll realize it’s not that bad. Hell, Creighton wins year in and out 45 minutes up the road and they probably just put themselves in some brackets today, despite having a “down year”.

We don’t need someone who necessarily has ties to Nebraska. But I think we do need someone who KNOWS what it’s like here and has been here and knows it’s actually really great place to coach. Turgeon for example knows what Lincoln and PBA is like (even though he has ties here, I’m just saying, he’s a guy who could be intrigued rather than just saying no way).

Agreed. I have been a fan since the days of Slippery Joe Cipriano.  The one thing NU has never tried in basketball is paying enough to get a quality coach.  It is time.  If Kansas State and Iowa State can win in basketball so can we and probably at a much higher level with the right guy.

16 minutes ago, MilesDavis said:

This is nothing personal, Ron, but I am so sick and tired of our fanbase making this job seem so much harder than it actually is.

This state has produced two NBA Draft picks in the last three years, one of the all-time leading scorers in NCAA Division I history who will be on an NBA roster most likely next year, and a guy who is starting on a top-15 team. I didn’t have to go back more than three years to find a handful of great (not good, great) players. We recruited none of them seriously. 

Our arena is is one of the nicest you will find for any college anywhere, period. AND it is consistently full despite the team never being very good.

We pay our coach like we’re a top 25 program and get nothing close to that in return.

History and tradition might scare away some on the surface, but anyone who steps foot in the facilities and PBA would immediately not care about that. I can promise you recruits DEFINITELY don’t care. 

If it wasn’t already obvious, the one shining season we had this decade was clearly spearheaded by the guy who is doing it at Utah State now.

Sure there will be many coaches who say “Nebraska, shoot, no way. No one wins there.” But do 5 minutes of research and you’ll realize it’s not that bad. Hell, Creighton wins year in and out 45 minutes up the road and they probably just put themselves in some brackets today, despite having a “down year”.

We don’t need someone who necessarily has ties to Nebraska. But I think we do need someone who KNOWS what it’s like here and has been here and knows it’s actually really great place to coach. Turgeon for example knows what Lincoln and PBA is like (even though he has ties here, I’m just saying, he’s a guy who could be intrigued rather than just saying no way).

I appreciate that @MilesDavis but for a lot of reasons it is. I'm not interested in the number of players who made it to the NBA but how many P5 playes have come out of Nebraska?

All the reasons that you mention make it even more perplexing why we aren't better. 

This place is a head coaching graveyard. The successful assistants leave on their own. For the HC's, their careers for the most part die and in one case literally.

Bush  - Never coached again

Cip - passed away

Iba - 1 NIT appearance in 7 yrs at TCU

Nee - His career to a sharp downturn

Collier - gave up coaching

Sadler - jury still out at Southern Miss but it doesn't look good.

Miles - ?

It's not like we don't care, so what is the problem? Some have said bad decisions but if you look at past history we have tried to go after coaches like Self and Marshall previously.

Good coaches don't want to come here. 

If we want to get a good coach to come here it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just money. I could end up being career suicide.

I'd take Matta or Hoiberg but past history says neither of them will end up here.

Honestly I put all of my eggs in getting that elusive 1st tournament win this season and with the likelihood of that slipping away I am left with nothing but despair and hopelessness.

I feel no hope with a new coach, no matter who it is. The off season is going to be a stream of breaking stories about players transferring and recruits going elsewhere. 

I know others get excited about coaching searches, especially the press, but I don't. We are going to be so gawd awfully bad next season no matter who we hire that it won't even be worth going to games. Maybe my attitude will change but that's where I'm at right now.

42 minutes ago, 36red said:

Agreed. I have been a fan since the days of Slippery Joe Cipriano.  The one thing NU has never tried in basketball is paying enough to get a quality coach.  It is time.  If Kansas State and Iowa State can win in basketball so can we and probably at a much higher level with the right guy.

That just isn't true.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, TimSmiles said:

i've spoken to people that have worked for coaching search firms.

according to them, one of lincoln's biggest selling points is that it's a safe place to raise a family.

obviously money is a big factor. but if the coach isn't currently raising a family, lincoln isn't a very attractive destination to coach/live.

if you believe this, it's going to be very difficult to get someone like hoiberg, alford, matta who already have adult kids and are financially well off.

callahan, pelini, frost, sadler, miles all had young kids when they took the job and moved to lincoln.  riley being the exception. 

Riley came here because he had heard good things about our hotels.

On 3/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, HoiBall said:

1.) He's always had an All-American on his roster as a head coach

2.) His success as an assistant at Iowa State is greatly overstated. He was lucky to be on a staff with a great head coach. Doesn't always translate to success as a head coach himself at a big time program. This is why I also don't like the idea of bringing in a Duke assistant. We need someone who has done it at this level before.

And that's a strike against him? 

50 minutes ago, 36red said:

Striving to be the Kstate, Iowa State, and Creightons of the world is exactly what we should be striving for. Need to get over ourselves with the “we’re going to win at an even higher level” mentality until we actually have a little success. We are never going to be a blue blood in basketball, and that’s ok, cuz anything can happen in the tourney. You just gotta find ways to make it consistently. 

8 hours ago, 36red said:

Are you in the loop on what we offered Bill Self before we ended up hiring Collier?

10 minutes ago, HB said:
8 hours ago, 36red said:

Are you in the loop on what we offered Bill Self before we ended up hiring Collier?

Ahhh...the good ol' days.

FWIW, here's a fairly recent article on the matter. We offered Bill Self a Top 20 salary.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/barfknecht-why-kansas-coach-bill-self-turned-down-a-million/article_ed67359a-c080-59ef-8cc6-158dfdc731ca.html

38 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Ahhh...the good ol' days.

FWIW, here's a fairly recent article on the matter. We offered Bill Self a Top 20 salary.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/barfknecht-why-kansas-coach-bill-self-turned-down-a-million/article_ed67359a-c080-59ef-8cc6-158dfdc731ca.html

But I thought throwing money at it always solved all of our problems?

Some of you guys act like there are 15 guys on a basketball court.  It is five people folks.  It is not that hard to win here.  We just haven’t found the right coach.  If smith were still here with miles then we had one.  Turns out that smith actually was the brains behind the operation.  Sorry @49r.

Have to have a guy that isn’t outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome talent gaps, can develop players, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.   Our last four coaches have had gaping holes in multiple of those areas.  That is why we haven’t won.  Not because it cannot be done here. That is comical.  

Edited by royalfan

That’s why I hated the Smith for Molinari switch.  We lost the guy who schematically helped our players on offense and replaced him with a guy who is 100% defense in coaching acumen.  I consider Miles way better coaching on the defensive end than on offense so to me it created a very imbalanced coaching staff.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

Some of you guys act like there are 15 guys on a basketball court.  It is five people folks.  It is not that hard to win here.  We just haven’t found the right coach.  If smith were still here with miles then we had one.  Turns out that smith actually was the brains behind the operation.  Sorry @49r. I was always right about that.  You were completely wrong.  

Have to have a guy that isn’t outmatched on the game strategies, understands analytics to overcome talent gaps, can develop players, and can recruit or have a staff that excels at it.   Our last four coaches have had gaping holes in multiple of those areas.  That is why we haven’t won.  Not because it cannot be done here. That is comical.  

It's not that hard to win here despite the fact that the last, soon to be 4 coaches, where not able to do so. Brilliant! Can't make this stuff up.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:27 PM, ladyhusker said:

Reading this, and understanding he's got $9 million coming his way WITHOUT taking another job...I'd be kind of surprised if Thad Matta gets back into coaching, much less back into coaching in the Big Ten, and very much less into coaching in the Big Ten in a place with actual expectations and pressure to win.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

An excerpt:

"Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

Maybe that's a little dramatic, but Matta's been away from coaching for a year and he sure seemed happy on Monday.

He was happy to see his younger daughter off to prom a few weeks ago and not have to worry about a recruiting visit or devising summer workout plans. He was happy this winter to watch basketball, not give a crap who won, and then sleep without those 40 minutes playing on a loop in his head.

A funny thing happened to Matta once he left coaching. He became a telephone therapist for his former brethren. Through those calls, Matta realized he didn't miss it all that much.

I'm clearly not the AD, but for those putting him on the wish list...maybe temper those wishes a little bit. This kind of makes it sound like I'm just as likely to be our next coach as he is.

Dang..... I feel you Thad. Straight spitting facts. 

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It's not that hard to win here despite the fact that the last, soon to be 4 coaches, where not able to do so. Brilliant! Can't make this stuff up.

Correct, they are all badly flawed coaches.  They would not perform up to expectations anywhere.  I wouldn't be calling out anyone, with all the stupid things you are saying in here.  And if your reading comprehension was decent, you would take the statement in context.  I said it isn't that hard to win here after saying that some are acting like there are 15 people on a basketball court.  Not all that complicated for most to understand.  

Edited by royalfan

14 hours ago, coughunter said:

I never understand why so many people think it has to be some coach or person with some sort of tie here.  Why does it have to be that way? Find the best person who can recruit with assistants and can develop that talent.  Its crazy to say that paying a coach $3M would put that guy in the top 15 in the country of salaries above some pretty big names and proven winners.  Hope they get this hire right. I'm all for Turgeon, Sampson, Martin, Matta, or Marshall

Exactly right.  It doesn't make any difference if they have ties here or not.  They need to be able to coach, develop, and recruit well.  Having a tie to Nebraska is near the bottom of any list of important traits we need our new coach to excel at.  Your list of names is a tremendous one.  One has some ties to Nebraska and that is not among the reasons why I want him.  

7 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Correct, they are all badly flawed coaches.  They would not perform up to expectations anywhere.  I wouldn't be calling out anyone, with all the stupid shit you are saying in here.  And if your reading comprehension was worth a shit, you would take the statement in context.  I said it isn't that hard to win here after saying that some are acting like there are 15 people on a basketball court.  Not all that complicated for most to understand.  

What context is that? The one that says it isn't difficult to win here and to prove your point use the last 4 (current coach included) coaches as an example. Nice job of presenting evidence against your own point.  The kids would say, "you played yourself." 

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

What context is that? The one that says it isn't difficult to win here and to prove your point use the last 4 (current coach included) coaches as an example. Nice job of presenting evidence against your own point.  The kids would say, "you played yourself." 

IN THE EXACT SENTENCE BEFORE THAT IS THE CONTEXT!!  Just as I said last post.  It isn't that hard to win here as it would be if we had to play 15 people!!!  Wow.  Not that surprising from a guy that thinks Miles should still be coaching and had Henson on a coaching list.  Holy smokes.  Can't make it up folks.  

Edited by royalfan