Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Reading this, and understanding he's got $9 million coming his way WITHOUT taking another job...I'd be kind of surprised if Thad Matta gets back into coaching, much less back into coaching in the Big Ten, and very much less into coaching in the Big Ten in a place with actual expectations and pressure to win.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

An excerpt:

"Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

Maybe that's a little dramatic, but Matta's been away from coaching for a year and he sure seemed happy on Monday.

He was happy to see his younger daughter off to prom a few weeks ago and not have to worry about a recruiting visit or devising summer workout plans. He was happy this winter to watch basketball, not give a crap who won, and then sleep without those 40 minutes playing on a loop in his head.

A funny thing happened to Matta once he left coaching. He became a telephone therapist for his former brethren. Through those calls, Matta realized he didn't miss it all that much.

I'm clearly not the AD, but for those putting him on the wish list...maybe temper those wishes a little bit. This kind of makes it sound like I'm just as likely to be our next coach as he is.

1 minute ago, ladyhusker said:

Reading this, and understanding he's got $9 million coming his way WITHOUT taking another job...I'd be kind of surprised if Thad Matta gets back into coaching, much less back into coaching in the Big Ten, and very much less into coaching in the Big Ten in a place with actual expectations and pressure to win.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

An excerpt:

"Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

Maybe that's a little dramatic, but Matta's been away from coaching for a year and he sure seemed happy on Monday.

He was happy to see his younger daughter off to prom a few weeks ago and not have to worry about a recruiting visit or devising summer workout plans. He was happy this winter to watch basketball, not give a crap who won, and then sleep without those 40 minutes playing on a loop in his head.

A funny thing happened to Matta once he left coaching. He became a telephone therapist for his former brethren. Through those calls, Matta realized he didn't miss it all that much.

I'm clearly not the AD, but for those putting him on the wish list...maybe temper those wishes a little bit. This kind of makes it sound like I'm just as likely to be our next coach as he is.

If this i actually where he's at, I hope for his sake he stays out. The Nebraska job would probably kill him. Enjoy retirement, Thad! 

28 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Couldn't a similar logic be said about Tyronn Lue?

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/31/cleveland-cavaliers-tyronn-lue-reveals-treated-anxiety

vrG56bORUJqFStGC.jpg

Holy Mary, that guy looks like Tyronn Lue's insomniac uncle after a three-day bender. With the pressure that would be on him if he came here? For his sake I hope he gives it a hard pass.

Am I remembering correctly that when he would self-identify his alma mater, it was his high school, and not the University of Nebraska? Someone told me that once but I'll be honest, I generally pay more attention to watching paint dry than I do the NBA. I know we've since retired his jersey so maybe he's got a little more affinity for us at this point (if that even mattered in the first place?) but I want to say there wasn't really a whole lot of connection to Nebraska for him, at least in the not-super-distant past.

2 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Holy Mary, that guy looks like Tyronn Lue's insomniac uncle after a three-day bender. With the pressure that would be on him if he came here? For his sake I hope he gives it a hard pass.

Am I remembering correctly that when he would self-identify his alma mater, it was his high school, and not the University of Nebraska? Someone told me that once but I'll be honest, I generally pay more attention to watching paint dry than I do the NBA. I know we've since retired his jersey so maybe he's got a little more affinity for us at this point (if that even mattered in the first place?) but I want to say there wasn't really a whole lot of connection to Nebraska for him, at least in the not-super-distant past.

Yeah, when the Cavs won it all in 2016, Tyronn Lue mentioned Mexico, MO, twice. Not one mention of NU. Oh well. He's probably best served being Doc Rivers' dude, for now. He can chill in LA.

57 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Couldn't a similar logic be said about Tyronn Lue?

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/05/31/cleveland-cavaliers-tyronn-lue-reveals-treated-anxiety

vrG56bORUJqFStGC.jpg

Lue suffered from anxiety and got it sorted out. 

Also lets not flatter ourselves here. The pressures of Coaching one of the GOATs, in the highest level of the sport, and having taken over for a guy that got fired after winning 68% of his games, and 70% of his playoff games - might be a little different from coaching at the college level, taking over for a coach who won 50% of his games and 41% of his conf games, and where the expectation is to just finish in the top half of your conf every other season. 

I don't expect Lue to want to take this job, but if he did, I sure as sh*t wouldn't question his ability to mentally attack this challenge. Guy is winner. 

6 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Lue suffered from anxiety and got it sorted out. 

Also lets not flatter ourselves here. The pressures of Coaching one of the GOATs, in the highest level of the sport, and having taken over for a guy that got fired after winning 68% of his games, and 70% of his playoff games - might be a little different from coaching at the college level, taking over for a coach who won 50% of his games and 41% of his conf games, and where the expectation is to just finish in the top half of your conf every other season. 

I don't expect Lue to want to take this job, but if he did, I sure as sh*t wouldn't question his ability to mentally attack this challenge. Guy is winner. 

Don't disagree with anything you say.  As I've said before, I just don't think he wants the job.  I truly feel that he'll be the coach of the Lakers next year.  

Yesterday Benning alluded to the fact that we are indeed going after a home run hire (of course we are).

Then both S&B specifically talked about the style needed to win at Nebraska and were gauging whether or not Nebraskans would embrace a Hoiberg style program (transfers, juco, high school mix)

I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag.

36 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Yesterday Benning alluded to the fact that we are indeed going after a home run hire (of course we are).

Then both S&B specifically talked about the style needed to win at Nebraska and were gauging whether or not Nebraskans would embrace a Hoiberg style program (transfers, juco, high school mix)

I think the cat is starting to get out of the bag.

If hoiberg don’t come here you better go hide in a hole man lol. You will either be praised or mocked until we start this process all over someday 

31 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If hoiberg don’t come here you better go hide in a hole man lol. You will either be praised or mocked until we start this process all over someday 

I'm not so sure how SkersBall would ever get praise for saying that they know someone who said that Nebraska is in talks with Hoiberg. But to each their own.

Now if SkersBall was the one kissing Hoiberg's feet and talked him into coaching here, that's another story.