Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Hey, it's a big number.  You're competing against NBA cash in that case you'd HAVE to throw out a big number.  I'd even say "holy crap you're paying him more than Frost" should be thrown in there.

There are things in life you pay to get, because it gets you what you want.  This department isn't going broke even if we paid the basketball coach that much.

Talk whatever number you want.  In the end I don't care what we pay him.  I care that we get a coach that will put us in the national top 10 conversation.  The rest is a bunch of trivial crap.

Keeping in mind, that I'm still frustrated for miles this year because i feel like he built us up from a terrible program into at least a middling one.  This was his chance to get that ncaa monkey off his/our back and an injury killed us.  I honestly believe miles was improving over time to where we'd have been a top 25 team consistently.  BUT... that's not going to change how things are and so my gears change.

We need that next level guy.  Stop f---ing around and realize that the athletic department was in the black by several million while paying off TWO former football coaches this year (which means we have WAY more than enough to make some serious noise here).  We've got whatever we want to get whomever we want.  If you're not going to act that way then nobody good is going to take you seriously. 

So I pulled a number out.  So what.  It got my point across didn't it?

20 minutes ago, kleitus said:

You're competing against NBA cash in that case you'd HAVE to throw out a big number.

This is absolutely absurd!

Louisville has a 3-year average revenue of $45M. The Knicks are valued at $4B and have annual revenues of $443M.

This would be completely irresponsible of an athletic director and I would be wondering why the university president was keeping a leader like that around who is irresponsible with the budget without a reasonable plan for an ample ROI out of that payout.

8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Louisville has a 3-year average revenue of $45M. The Knicks are valued at $4B and have annual revenues of $443M.

This would be completely irresponsible of an athletic director and I would be wondering why the university president was keeping a leader like that around who is irresponsible with the budget without a reasonable plan for an ample ROI out of that payout.

8 million is still less than coach k and is basically what calipari makes.  lue is 41 and you're trying to build the next dynasty.  The hype when you land LBJr  and several other guys would dang near pay for that by itself.  You'd be on national tv with kansas and kentucky by year 2.  Admittedly it's an assumption that kids would want to play for an nba champ coach who has lbj on speed dial but eh... you can bet against that one if you want.

How's that for a ROI?

You want to be in the big leagues?  You gotta open the checkbook.

You want another middling coach?  Pay like it.

Is that simplistic?  yeah to an extent.  But we have the money.  and it's not even close.  so don't imply or remotely tell me that it can't be done.

2 minutes ago, kleitus said:

8 million is still less than coach k and is basically what calipari makes.  lue is 41 and you're trying to build the next dynasty.  The hype when you land LBJr  and several other guys would dang near pay for that by itself.  You'd be on national tv with kansas and kentucky by year 2.  Admittedly it's an assumption that kids would want to play for an nba champ coach who has lbj on speed dial but eh... you can bet against that one if you want.

How's that for a ROI?

Is that simplistic?  yeah to an extent.  But we have the money.  and it's not even close.  so don't imply or remotely tell me that it can't be done.

I'm on board with paying some real competitive pay, but with that comes expectations.

Say we pay Lue $8-10M for 7 years. Say he does get a few good players that want to play here. But then his career goes kind of like how Miles' has. Now we're out $70M vs. the $15M or so we paid Miles. That is an extreme amount of money for an unproven coach on the collegiate scale who has found major success when he has NBA's greatest players on his roster.

Tom Crean was able to snag a 5-star recruit from Kentucky's hands, but we'll see where that gets Georgia. Only time will tell. And it didn't take Crean $70M to get that recruit.

26 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Damn it Fever, now you are using facts again.

9 minutes ago, kleitus said:

How's that for a ROI?

Bronny is NOT going to college.  By the time he's ready, the NBA will have changed the 1 year of college rule.  Like his dad, Bronny will go right to the NBA.  

Coach K and Calipari get paid like that because they've been doing it forever at the college level and have TONS of experience.  Lue has NEVER coached college ball.  Whole different animal having to go and recruit.  He "could" be good at it, but we have no idea.  Certainly not enough of an idea to pay $8 million a year, just hoping his "name" is enough.

I wonder what ticket renewal would be in 4 different scenarios:

1. Tim comes back somehow someway (so torn about it)... my guess, it goes down quite a bit
2. They hire a mid-major no real name (Ryan Odom, Porter Moser),/blue-blood assistant/Thad Matta- my guess, still goes down quite a bit
3. They hire someone like Nate Oats or Eric Musselman (Eric ain't happening), Ed Cooley- my guess, still dips a little
4. Hire a Gregg, Fred, Dana, Sampson or dare i say Tyronn.. my guess, another sold out season.  

I still say, swing for the fences. Throw 3.6 at Gregg Marshall... he knows it aint the MVC anymore and we have facilities and other amenities...bonus the shit out of the guy with a sweet 16 appearance...

Frankly, in nebraska it's easy to play nice and conservative with money.   people think that way.

I've always been someone to swing for the fences.  you can't take it with you.

yeah ok, it's 70 million instead of 15... i get that... I do budgets too... but end of the day... unless we completely swing and miss, we can probably afford two of those.  Yes really.

I'm not saying blow money on a crappy coach.  Be smart about it.  But my gawd... if people want mediocrity i can guarantee paying middling salaries when you sell out every game and are top 15 or so in attendance despite being terrible is a good way to keep going down that same road.  Top ten college salaries is still over 3 million.  Which means to  make a dent/noise you probably have to be around 4 or 5 regardless.

The other 3  million per year is to get the right guy.

3 minutes ago, Samborini said:

I wonder what ticket renewal would be in 4 different scenarios:

1. Tim comes back somehow someway (so torn about it)... my guess, it goes down quite a bit
2. They hire a mid-major no real name (Ryan Odom, Porter Moser),/blue-blood assistant/Thad Matta- my guess, still goes down quite a bit
3. They hire someone like Nate Oats or Eric Musselman (Eric ain't happening), Ed Cooley- my guess, still dips a little
4. Hire a Gregg, Fred, Dana, Sampson or dare i say Tyronn.. my guess, another sold out season.  

I still say, swing for the fences. Throw 3.6 at Gregg Marshall... he knows it aint the MVC anymore and we have facilities and other amenities...bonus the shit out of the guy with a sweet 16 appearance...

Good post.  Personally, I would add Matta to your #4.  I think he's THAT good.

14 minutes ago, kleitus said:

How's that for a ROI?

Maybe the thought of retaining Miles wasn't such a big assumption after all.  I mean you are expecting Lue to come in here, land Lebron James' kid, and take us to the promise land.  Miles is more proven at the college level than Lue.  My goodness.

No, i'm expecting lue, or someone similarly big name to come in here and win.  A lot.  The mechanics of that are irrelevant.  i just pointed out an obvious person who is qualified and would listen when we called with a big check.  He may  not take it, but why wouldn't you make that offer?

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Maybe the thought of retaining Miles wasn't such a big assumption after all.  I mean you are expecting Lue to come in here, land Lebron James' kid, and take us to the promise land.  Miles is more proven at the college level than Lue.  My goodness.

Edited by kleitus

3 minutes ago, Klas3131 said:

Good post.  Personally, I would add Matta to your #4.  I think he's THAT good.

His record is good.  We wouldnt have to throw as much dough at him as the others in #4, which would be nice.  That being said, I don't think folks would be over the top about that hire.  Maybe im wrong. 

1 minute ago, Samborini said:

His record is good.  We wouldnt have to throw as much dough at him as the others in #4, which would be nice.  That being said, I don't think folks would be over the top about that hire.  Maybe im wrong. 

No, you could be right.  But as another poster indicated at some point, what he did at Ohio State (a FOOTBALL school - sound familiar?) is incredible.  His Buckeye teams were almost always in the mix for Big Ten titles.  Back to the Big Ten for him, with much LESS stress than he had at OSU.  Good Midwest recruiting ties.  He might be rejuvenated too now.  

If we get Matta, we sell out for his tenure here.  The press will inform the masses.  He's a great coach.  One National Title game, one Final 4, two Elite Eights, two Sweet Sixteens, four Round of 32s, two round of 64s, one NIT championship.   That's basically every year he has coached D1.  He's an absolute rock star, sure-bet hire if there ever was one at 51 years old.  The only reason I put Lue ahead of him is because of Matta's health concerns.  Other than that, he completely obliterates any other reasonable candidate.  

30 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Ideally we throw like 2.5 mil at matta and tell him he’s 1.5 mil for your assistants. So we are committing 4 million yet also committing to paying assistants good money to hopefully retain them for 3-5 years at a time. 

I believe Matta made roughly $3.39 million his last year at Ohio St.  We may have to pay him closer to $4 million.

Matta is my #1a choice, with Hoiberg a very close #1b.

Edited by REDZONEDAN

6 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I believe Matta made roughly $3.39 million his last year at Ohio St.  We may have to pay him closer to $4 million.

Maybe this nugget of information will make him give the CornHUSKERS a shot....

Matta was a basketball standout for the Cornjerkers at Hoopeston-East Lynn High School in Hoopeston, Illinois,