Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

That'd be great if Few cared about money. Read about the guy a little bit, you'll understand there is no point in even asking, because he isn't coming. He values being out of the spotlight, spending time with family, fishing and enjoying the outdoors. He is right where be belongs and where he wants to be.

--

He's more proud of the order that surrounds his program. He's ignored offers to coach at bigger schools with bigger budgets because he's smart enough to understand the value and rarity of what he's constructed in Spokane.

Plus, he might not find good fly-fishing in a major market.

Few was widely rumored to be a candidate for vacancies at USC and UCLA in recent years. Roth never bought it.

"Years ago, there was a job opening that happened to be in Los Angeles," Roth said. "People were saying that's a big-time job and Mark's going to take it. But somebody said, 'But there are no good trout streams in Los Angeles.'"

I'm aware of all that. I've read plenty on him before posting any of this.  He is a great man and a great coach. I'm also aware as people age, priorities change. Whats important to a guy at age 40 is not always important to him at age 50. If you make the offer and he says no, you have lost NOTHING. If you don't at least call him, you are not doing your job. I am 100% sure Moos understands this. 

1 hour ago, imnothipp said:

I would take any of these 5 and be happy. 

1) Mark Few: Long shot I know, but I think we can raise his salary by a million a year. (He currently makes less then Miles!).  He might be at the point in his career that he wants one last big payday. He obviously has not been that money motivated though in the past. Being in Washington, I have to think Moos has some relationship with him. You have to take a shot with him.

2) Hoiberg. Knows how to win in the Midwest. Brings instant credibility.

3) Matta: Knows how to win in the Big Ten. Might be the most realistic on this list. 

4) Howland: Always been a fan. 

5) Altman: I think coaching around Phil Knight would be a pain in the rear. Frost seemed to like him though so I could be wrong. Dana knows this state. Huge benefit. 

I think Nebraska will offer 5-7 year contract and start around 2.75 -3.00 million a year. That is an excellent salary range. 

No Chance:

Altman is not going to come to UNL. NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN...EVER. 

Few might leave Gonzaga one day but it won't be for Nebraska.

No Connection-Why?

Howland only connection would be that he coached in the PAC and Moos was an AD in the PAC. 

Might be realistic:

Hoiberg is familiar with coaching/recruiting CBB in the midwest and is proven winner. Might peak his interest. Currently out of coaching. Keep an eye on Northwestern. 

Matta is familiar with the BIG. He might be up for the challenge. Proven winner at every stop. Currently out of coaching. The Barry Collier connection is interesting. Give him 7yr $24.5 mil base  along with a large pool of cash to get the assistants the wants. with lots of bonus potential that could get him an additional $5+mil.

15 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

And if we are worried about how that looks while we are still playing then let Miles go now.

The reason it matters is that when this shows up in the papers it makes you look like you're over your head as an athletic director (Eichorst, Shawn).  The reason that matters is that you probably are.

8 minutes ago, imnothipp said:

I'm aware of all that. I've read plenty on him before posting any of this.  He is a great man and a great coach. I'm also aware as people age, priorities change. Whats important to a guy at age 40 is not always important to him at age 50. If you make the offer and he says no, you have lost NOTHING. If you don't at least call him, you are not doing your job. I am 100% sure Moos understands this. 

Nothing? Really? Are you sure about that?

23 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

No Chance:

Altman is not going to come to UNL. NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN...EVER. 

Few might leave Gonzaga one day but it won't be for Nebraska.

No Connection-Why?

Howland only connection would be that he coached in the PAC and Moos was an AD in the PAC. 

Might be realistic:

Hoiberg is familiar with coaching/recruiting CBB in the midwest and is proven winner. Might peak his interest. Currently out of coaching. Keep an eye on Northwestern. 

Matta is familiar with the BIG. He might be up for the challenge. Proven winner at every stop. Currently out of coaching. The Barry Collier connection is interesting. Give him 7yr $24.5 mil base  along with a large pool of cash to get the assistants the wants. with lots of bonus potential that could get him an additional $5+mil.

Pretty sure Howland has a connection with Boehm.  

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with a unique system like Syracuse brought in who knows that 2-3 defense.  Every time I watch Syracuse play I think that defense looks like such a pain in the ass to prepare for.  Basically no other teams run it.  It's like the triple option of basketball.  I'd love to see that here.  

34 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with a unique system like Syracuse brought in who knows that 2-3 defense.  Every time I watch Syracuse play I think that defense looks like such a pain in the ass to prepare for.  Basically no other teams run it.  It's like the triple option of basketball.  I'd love to see that here.  

Hopkins would greatly intrigue me 

2 hours ago, imnothipp said:

Houston Nutt says hello.

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Personally I'd rather beat teams based on talent rather than on teams not being fully prepared. That oddball offense causes teams like Georgia Tech football to beat Clemson every four years or Doc Sadler putting together a solid enough defense to nearly beat Kansas every once and awhile, but it's such a bore to watch just for those one or two chances you may beat a team.

13 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Personally I'd rather beat teams based on talent rather than on teams not being fully prepared. That oddball offense causes teams like Georgia Tech football to beat Clemson every four years or Doc Sadler putting together a solid enough defense to nearly beat Kansas every once and awhile, but it's such a bore to watch just for those one or two chances you may beat a team.

And if you get talent, national championships.  The power I was even more exotic.  Frost’s spread is the same way.  Identity in scheme is huge and can really simplify recruiting in either sport.  Think Wiscy, Syracuse, Zags, etc.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I don’t think the SYR 2-3 is a gimmick defense.  I actually think it’s a fantastic defense.  I like it better than m2m at the college level. 

I don’t know if we could get the athletes necessary to make that work but I do think to make Nebraska a consistent player the coach needs to be defensively oriented 

2 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Not that it matters, but I'm predicting that Fred Hoiberg will be our next coach. I have no sources; this is purely a gut feeling.

Only time will tell if my gut was right or just experiencing indigestion.

No doubt fueled by the thought of those @cipsucks steaks heading towards your gut

4 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Pretty sure Boehm will still be here 4 coaches from now and somehow still alive at age 123.

Assistant Undead Lord for Whatever He Wants Mark Boehm

Edit: Now we need a photoshop of Boehm appearing a civil war uniform with the caption of :Athletic Director Fort Sumter 1859" on it. 

Edited by tcp