Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

5 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Also to note:

Fred grew up a big Nebraska football fan, calls TO one of his coaching hero’s.

Has family that lives in Nebraska.

Niece goes to Nebraska and is a manager for the basketball team.

Dad owns multiple degrees from the university.

Fred has an opportunity to do something that you can’t do at a place like UCLA, or Minnesota, or whatever other school with basketball history. He can become a legend, and become Nebraska’s version of Johnny Orr, Coach K, Bill Self, etc.

Also, he doesn’t have the pressure of having to make a sweet 16 every year. Pretty nice gig if you ask me.

His grandfather was also a former Nebraska basketball coach.

5 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Something also very interesting to note. Frost has been outspoken about his support for Husker volleyball. Haven’t heard anything about him and Miles or Miles inviting him to talk to the team. Seems Tim’s a little bit of the odd man out in the athletic department.

Now you're reaching.  This is only about the basketball record, not some nonsense about getting along in the department.  You couldn't be more wrong about this.  Time for silly season on the board.  Ames is really a long way from Lincoln because you don't have a clue.  

17 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Something also very interesting to note. Frost has been outspoken about his support for Husker volleyball. Haven’t heard anything about him and Miles or Miles inviting him to talk to the team. Seems Tim’s a little bit of the odd man out in the athletic department.

There are a lot worse things to be around here than guy who thinks he knows who the next coach is going to be and is maybe wrong

48 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

Also to note:

Fred grew up a big Nebraska football fan, calls TO one of his coaching hero’s.

Has family that lives in Nebraska.

Niece goes to Nebraska and is a manager for the basketball team.

Dad owns multiple degrees from the university.

Fred has an opportunity to do something that you can’t do at a place like UCLA, or Minnesota, or whatever other school with basketball history. He can become a legend, and become Nebraska’s version of Johnny Orr, Coach K, Bill Self, etc.

Also, he doesn’t have the pressure of having to make a sweet 16 every year. Pretty nice gig if you ask me.

Have Osborne go with Moos to make the pitch

30 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

There are a lot worse things to be around here than guy who thinks he knows who the next coach is going to be and is maybe wrong

Sure. 

Or maybe people are just sick of supporting a crap product and want something better.

Just because somebody didn’t tell you something yourself doesn’t mean it’s not true.

There's three realistic names I'm watching. 

Nate oats 

Luke Yaklich

TJ Otzelberger 

I would love Craig Smith, but I don't think he would come in and be Miles replacement with Miles being his mentor. 

There season isn't ACTUALLY over and Miles could somehow keep his job, but these are names I'm keeping my eyes on in the case we move on.

Edited by thrasher31

Oats will likely get a better Power 5 gig at this point. This is the same issue we had when we hired Miles. There were some more desirable mid major coaches who could hold out for better jobs. And almost all of them got those better jobs. Unless the armored car gets backed up, we'll be hiring the same kind of "intriguing possibility" mid major coach we've been doing and hoping for the best. 

But we gotta be honest. Nebraska's been a career killer for its last 3 coaches. That's going to be taken seriously. 

1 hour ago, tcp said:

Oats will likely get a better Power 5 gig at this point. This is the same issue we had when we hired Miles. There were some more desirable mid major coaches who could hold out for better jobs. And almost all of them got those better jobs. Unless the armored car gets backed up, we'll be hiring the same kind of "intriguing possibility" mid major coach we've been doing and hoping for the best. 

But we gotta be honest. Nebraska's been a career killer for its last 3 coaches. That's going to be taken seriously. 

It has been.   But we've also haven't made wise coaching decisions, gone into things with both an open pocket book, had competent facilities or a combination of the 3

5 hours ago, tcp said:

To be fair, 2 of the 3 coaches had one hand tied behind their back. Miles is the only coach who had all the necessary resources to succeed. And no, I don’t buy that Eichorst/Moos and whoever else are responsible for his shortcomings that may result in 5 losing seasons out of 7. 

Nebraska is a tough job, but Miles is out of his league. We have looked sloppy on the offensive end every year under Miles. A team that lacks fundamentals and poor development.  Just have to hope we finally land the right guy.  It’s just unfortunate we wasted the shine of PBA on a guy who could not take advantage of it. 

I think you:

inquire about Gregg Marshall.

Inquire about Steve Wojciechowski

Talk to Nate Oats

Talk to Hoiberg

Watch Shaka at Texas goings on.

...and get it done somewhere there.

All probably quite a bit of a reach, but if Kstate can land Weber (maybe inquire here too) and Martin recently, we can get good coaches too. Just need the "want to".

Eventually people will stop showing up at pba if we don't get at least mid pack and a run every 3 years at least. So need to pay up I think...

3 minutes ago, Raidsker said:

I think you:

inquire about Gregg Marshall.  

Inquire about Steve Wojciechowski - 

Talk to Nate Oats

Talk to Hoiberg

Watch Shaka at Texas goings on.

...and get it done somewhere there.

All probably quite a bit of a reach, but if Kstate can land Weber (maybe inquire here too) No to Weber

and Martin recently, we can get good coaches too. Just need the "want to".

Eventually people will stop showing up at pba if we don't get at least mid pack and a run every 3 years at least. So need to pay up I think...

nquire about Gregg Marshall.  Doubt he leaves his current job.  He has had better offers than us and he has said no.  Heck didn't he tell us no before?

Inquire about Steve Wojciechowski - would he take a call from a 402 number?

Oats - worth at least kicking the tires.

Hoiberg - this one has been discussed a lot already.

Shaka - Would he leave as long as Texas keeps paying him big to be average?

Martin - South Carolina Martin?  I think he could win here, but are we ready for a Bo Pelini type basketball coach?