Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

12 hours ago, tcp said:

My Facebook profile is usually "Giant Meteor (inert year here) or Cthulhu (same same)". 

I think all three would be an upgrade, but you gotta admit Cthulhu is intriguing. No one stopping those tentacles. We'll never get whistled again. 

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Late on this topic and I haven’t read through it yet but I was thinking the other day when moos said he has a short list of coaches in his desk I wonder who they are...I have my guesses but interesting to think about. I also think there is a zero chance we go after a mid major Coach this time. I hope a clear vision will be put in place and then some heavy research and moos using his wide cast of connections to bring in a high level assistant from a major program who’s young.

You read comments on social media and all that on available coaches and you see a lot of Hoiberg, greg Marshall, kelvin sampson, Altman etc and many fans say it jokingly like it’s a pipe dream which maybe it is but honestly besides bill self, Coach k and the usual I don’t think there is such thing as a pipe dream with moos in charge and with what we have going with PBA and all that 

With that that being said I’m rooting super hard for Miles to make a miracle run and save his job

The best outcome might be an established coach who's worn out his welcome at a good program. He can get away from the noise here, without having to step down to midmajor level. Ben Howland from UCLA to Miss St is the perfect example. That's number 1 for me, followed by (2) throwing obscene amounts of somebody else's money at a big name (3) a midmajor coach who has dominated his league consistently (4) a longtime assistant for a blue blood  and (5)  a midmajor coach who got hot in March.

One thing of interest to me is that the financials of the AD came out recently and NUs AD was only 6 million in the black. We're getting near the break even ceiling operationally and that's going to limit the "throw money at x" solution in hoops (unless someone wants to tap into the bankroll building up over the years, which is not administratively wise to do with anything but football). Part of that is the price of the extension logic and carrying too many payouts from bad contracts. But I can't imagine an AD wanting to risk that margin on yet another contract just as we're getting out from under a couple of burdensome bad extension payouts. 

Because of that, it seems unlikely that going after a big name is going to happen. Whether we like it or not, this place is a coaching graveyard. If you fail here, you're probably not coming back into the Power 5 graces anytime soon. That'll discourage a lot of quality coaches (as it has in the past, even for midmajor coaches). 

I personally do not know the right answer to how best to get a coach that can build a successful program here and I don't envy the person charged with solving what's now a perennial problem. But I'm pretty sure we're going to be dipping into the midmajor ranks again for another dice roll. 

33 minutes ago, tcp said:

One thing of interest to me is that the financials of the AD came out recently and NUs AD was only 6 million in the black. We're getting near the break even ceiling operationally and that's going to limit the "throw money at x" solution in hoops (unless someone wants to tap into the bankroll building up over the years, which is not administratively wise to do with anything but football). Part of that is the price of the extension logic and carrying too many payouts from bad contracts. But I can't imagine an AD wanting to risk that margin on yet another contract just as we're getting out from under a couple of burdensome bad extension payouts. 

Because of that, it seems unlikely that going after a big name is going to happen. Whether we like it or not, this place is a coaching graveyard. If you fail here, you're probably not coming back into the Power 5 graces anytime soon. That'll discourage a lot of quality coaches (as it has in the past, even for midmajor coaches). 

I personally do not know the right answer to how best to get a coach that can build a successful program here and I don't envy the person charged with solving what's now a perennial problem. But I'm pretty sure we're going to be dipping into the midmajor ranks again for another dice roll. 

True but we did just remove a bunch of expenses with pelini I believe.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The best outcome might be an established coach who's worn out his welcome at a good program. He can get away from the noise here, without having to step down to midmajor level. Ben Howland from UCLA to Miss St is the perfect example. 

Just a note that Howland took a two year break between UCLA and Miss St. That was an amazing get for the Bulldogs and they will be good as long as he wants to coach there.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, NeeandMe said:

Tired of doing the mid major thing. I know each case is different, but I'd love to try something different. 

If we are going to fire Miles we need a coach that has taken multiple teams from Power 5 conferences to the Dance and won. History has proven this job is too hard for the "up and comer". If we can't find a guy with proven experience, I'd rather go with the Duke or other blue-blood assistant coach route (i.e. Chris Collins). They've at least seen what it takes at this level to recruit and complete. If we've proven anything over the last several years, it's that the "hot mid-major guy" doesn't work here.

For comparison's sake, KState gave Tom Asbury had 2 NITs and 1 NCAA in 6 years and was fired. Next up, Jim Wooldrige no tournament appearances and was also gone after 6. He might have lasted a little longer because he inherited a team that went 2-14 in the Big 12.  After that, they went with known quantities: Huggins, Martin (an assistant who had recruited their best players) and Weber. 

KState has more tradition and higher expectations than we do. But we have more resources.

Weber is a good fit at K State, he is a Midwesterner and coaches defense.   I don’t think he is a great recruiter but seems to evaluate talent well.  Miles is from the Midwest, so he fits our culture.   We have to develop talent better.  I hope he survives because I am not confident about the quality of a potential replacement.

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The best outcome might be an established coach who's worn out his welcome at a good program. He can get away from the noise here, without having to step down to midmajor level. Ben Howland from UCLA to Miss St is the perfect example. That's number 1 for me, followed by (2) throwing obscene amounts of somebody else's money at a big name (3) a midmajor coach who has dominated his league consistently (4) a longtime assistant for a blue blood  and (5)  a midmajor coach who got hot in March.

AKA, Shaka Smart.

Texas is obviously a way better job but Texas is so political not everyone is the right fit.  I think Shaka would again strive in an under dog type of roll. 

16 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

AKA, Shaka Smart.

Texas is obviously a way better job but Texas is so political not everyone is the right fit.  I think Shaka would again strive in an under dog type of roll. 

Smart is really interesting to me. It would be buying low on a guy with an insanely high ceiling, we would never be considered by Smart if he were at his ceiling. Texas might let him walk if we offered him a job, saving them from having to fire him. Like you said - underdog role would suit him well, kinda like at VCU, low expectations. He is a good recruiter, pulling top 25 classes to VCU isn't easy. Midwest kid, grew up in Madison, WI but has ties all over.