Final 11 Games

HuskerFever

Forget how the season has ended up so far. We've had some real highs and some real lows. We're sitting at that lowest low right now losing 5 of our last 7 games. But it is what it is. We have 11 more games remaining.

Here's where we are:

Q1: 2-5 (1-4)

Q2: 3-2 (0-2)

Q3: 3-0 (2-0)

Q4: 4-0 (0-0)

N/A: 1-0 (0-0)

Here's what we have left:

Q1: (7) at MSU, at Mich, at Purdue, vs Purdue, vs Wisc, vs MD, vs Iowa

Q2: (4) vs NW, vs Minn, at PSU, at Illinois

Q3: (0)

Q4: (0)

Last season we were 15-8 on Jan. 26, 2018. We are 13-7 right now. The big difference? Last season we only had 1 more Q1 opportunity. This season? We have 7. Last season I'm assuming our RPI was around 60. This season our NET is around 25.

This is probably our best chance to even make the NCAA tournament in the next 5 years no matter if we have the same coach next season or not. We might have to crawl into the tournement this season, but at least we still have a reasonable chance right now. Forget the last 7 games and let's try to make something out of these last 11.

we've run into a systemic team problem, though, contributing to this funk. and that has to be accounted for in order to expect that there will be a change to the remainder of the schedule. 

I'm not sure these guys have it in them to will themselves to a higher level of competitive intensity needed to be successful in a brutally competitive conference. 

Maybe they do, but they have to show it, first. 

Just now, HuskerFever said:

We're either dealing with a rebuild with a new coach or roster attrition under Miles who has one of the most senior rosters in the NCAA.

If this is a cultural problem in the program itself--at least according to the AD--then you're looking at a full rebuild anyway a la football. 

That's something that'll have to wait until the end of the season.

I'm just going to hope our guys can salvage what they can and enjoy the rest of their season. 

1 minute ago, PimpMario said:

For 5 years?

If I'm catching what you're really asking, we're more likely to rebound quicker under a solid new hire than under Miles.

5 years is just a number thrown out there. I'd have to look at past successful coaches but I'd imagine it would be around the 3-5 year range. There's no way Miles lasts even a fifth of that without a tournament appearance. So essentially I'm saying it's either this year or we're rebuilding.

4 minutes ago, NebrasketballJake said:

Getting to .500 in the league may be asking a lot, but it needs to be the goal in the grand scheme of things. Just my opinion, what do I know

May this point, that has to be the goal.  That’ll get them at least last 4 in.  Also, games we are going to win to be above .500 we’ve already lost.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

If I'm catching what you're really asking, we're more likely to rebound quicker under a solid new hire than under Miles.

5 years is just a number thrown out there. I'd have to look at past successful coaches but I'd imagine it would be around the 3-5 year range. There's no way Miles lasts even a fifth of that without a tournament appearance. So essentially I'm saying it's either this year or we're rebuilding.

It wouldn't take a new coach 5 years to build a program.  5 (or 7) is more than enough time to build a program, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

If we dont make it to .500 its going to give Moos a lot of ammo to make a change. He specifically pointed out a while ago that how we play in the Big 10 is going to be a major determining factor in Miles being retained.  And that the league games are the real measuring stick. 

Agreed. And, not getting to 0.500 is nearly a given at this point. If Miles can pull that off, he certainly deserves to be retained. Going 7-4 needs we need to go undefeated at home and beat Illinois or Penn State on the road. Or, drop one at home (Purdue seems most likely) and beat Illinois and Penn State on the road. So unlikely at this point.

The schedule is favorable, and I'd say .500 was very doable even with our recent stumbles. Six home games, all of them very winnable, two of five road games very winnable. But Copeland changes the equation so much. While the pressure's off in a lot of ways now, the giant hole in the roster might be too much to overcome. Doc's 2008-2009 team somehow went 8-8 in the Big 12 with a weak roster, so there's that.

I am not going to bank on the following, but it is worth a small bit of optimism...sometimes when a team loses a player of value such as Cope, the team will draw closer together and accomplish significant tasks.  I am sure most of you are not old enough to remember Bob Griese and the '71 Dolphins.  Griese was sort of the Drew Brees of his day (both short and both played at Purdue).  He went down with a severe injury at the beginning of the season and the team could have folded and went away.  Instead they started winning with Earl Morrall at QB.  Morrall was sort of a career back up.  They went on to an undefeated season and celebrate each year when all the NFL teams finally lose a game.  Heck, as recently as last year the same sort of thing happened with the Eagles.

Bottom line, I still hold out hope...but oh man, this is going to mean a lot of players, fans and coaches step up, big time.

Huskerpapa beat me to the punch with his post.  I’m not overly optimistic that the team will draw closer but it was a thought I had last night.  Maybe it can serve as a catalyst to focus the rest of the team.  Not necessarily an addition by subtraction scenario like with Biggs a few years ago, but a huge wake up call for JPJ, Glynn and Roby. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not going to bank on the following, but it is worth a small bit of optimism...sometimes when a team loses a player of value such as Cope, the team will draw closer together and accomplish significant tasks.  I am sure most of you are not old enough to remember Bob Griese and the '71 Dolphins.  Griese was sort of the Drew Brees of his day (both short and both played at Purdue).  He went down with a severe injury at the beginning of the season and the team could have folded and went away.  Instead they started winning with Earl Morrall at QB.  Morrall was sort of a career back up.  They went on to an undefeated season and celebrate each year when all the NFL teams finally lose a game.  Heck, as recently as last year the same sort of thing happened with the Eagles.

Bottom line, I still hold out hope...but oh man, this is going to mean a lot of players, fans and coaches step up, big time.

This is more popularly known as the Ewing theory based on the same thing with Patrick Ewing in the 90s

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am not going to bank on the following, but it is worth a small bit of optimism...sometimes when a team loses a player of value such as Cope, the team will draw closer together and accomplish significant tasks.  I am sure most of you are not old enough to remember Bob Griese and the '71 Dolphins.

Don't have to go back that far.  I haven't read every page of every thread since the game yesterday, so maybe this has been posted.  1986.  Dave Hoppen blows out his knee at Colorado.  When I was at the game yesterday, and I saw Cope on the floor, I said, "Been there, done that." He's not coming back from that one.  Here's what happened after Hoppen went out in 1986:  Bernard Day, Brian Carr, Harvey Marshall and Anthony Bailous stepped up their fricking games.  NU went 6-4 after Hoppen went down and we made the Tourney.  We go 6-4 in our next 10 because Palmer, Watson, Roby, Allen and everyone else decide they will take it upon themselves to "will" us to victories in the NCAA Tourney.

11 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Don't have to go back that far.  I haven't read every page of every thread since the game yesterday, so maybe this has been posted.  1986.  Dave Hoppen blows out his knee at Colorado.  When I was at the game yesterday, and I saw Cope on the floor, I said, "Been there, done that." He's not coming back from that one.  Here's what happened after Hoppen went out in 1986:  Bernard Day, Brian Carr, Harvey Marshall and Anthony Bailous stepped up their fricking games.  NU went 6-4 after Hoppen went down and we made the Tourney.  We go 6-4 in our next 10 because Palmer, Watson, Roby, Allen and everyone else decide they will take it upon themselves to "will" us to victories in the NCAA Tourney.

Don't forget about 6-5 center Chris Logan taking over for Hoppen.  

Hope this team can follow the same path.

problem i see is that the wins we thought were really good are now looking really bad. clemson, seton hall, creighton, indiana may all miss the tournament.

if roby picks up his production, i don't think we'll be all that much worse without copeland. like others have said, copeland injury might inspire the other guys to take their game to a new level.

Edited by TimSmiles

2 hours ago, cipsucks said: