uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 20 - vs. Ohio State

uneblinstu

3 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

This one is deflating. 

I hope Copeland's knee isn't serious. 

That's all I have energy for right now...

I sympathize now more than ever with you today. this one has me in a dark and twisted head space. I was almost convinced this would be the first game I'd witness you not post a postgame chatter thread... (and I wouldn't have blamed you!)

Hey, you probably had more energy than our team did! oops....too soon? 

Seriously, nothing to dissect, really. We're not playing up to our athletic potential. And we've established a few hard trends. the first is that we're not good under pressure in close games. We're 2-6 in games decided by 11 points or less. We either win big or we go home. 

That isn't something that can be changed during a season. Mental issues are offseason training fodder. We're likely stuck with a highly erratic team that plays poorly when up against the wall. 

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

I wonder if we’re as good as we thought.  The team is regressing.  Play Thor, he can pass the basketball, which is a rare commodity on the current squad.

It's fair game. We're erratic shooters, for sure, and that sort of counts as part of being a good player. 

But I do think the raw physical/basketball ability is there. It does seem to be a mental issue has emerged of some significance. We're not the first team that would be experiencing something like underachievement along these lines, right?

46 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

I sympathize now more than ever with you today. this one has me in a dark and twisted head space. I was almost convinced this would be the first game I'd witness you not post a postgame chatter thread... (and I wouldn't have blamed you!)

I've never not posted for that reason. A few times I've been traveling or had other obligations that kept me from doing it, but not just because I didn't feel like it...

4 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Seems like they want to be special and want to be an all-time great Husker team - until the game starts....then they relax on defense, don't go after the 50/50 balls, don't hit the glass and play hero ball on offense. I'm sure Miles is absolutely frustrated, but its a sinking ship and he's the captain....everyone knows what the captain does when his ship sinks. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Seems like they want to be special and want to be an all-time great Husker team - until the game starts....then they relax on defense, don't go after the 50/50 balls, don't hit the glass and play hero ball on offense. I'm sure Miles is absolutely frustrated, but its a sinking ship and he's the captain....everyone knows what the captain does when his ship sinks. 

He stays onboard!!

Since the beginning of the year, I have been in the camp of NCAA or done.  Nothing has changed that.  It’ll take one heck of a coaching job to turn this ship around.  If Miles can do it.  Great!

11 games left plus the Big 10.  Realistically need to probably win 7 in some way shape or form.

Allen hustles to get a huge block and the only three guys trailing to pick it up played for OSU.  That says a lot about the team right now.

Honestly think we should just play with our pants on fire moving forward.  Push the ball like a bat out of hell.  If we lose... so be it.  We’re already losing.  I like the team that’s playing super fast the last two minutes because they have to.  Run, run, run.

Bad thing is... knowing history, we probably won’t try it.

God help us if we lose Cope.

Miles isn’t just losing the team, but the fan base is quickly ducing our as well.  I’ll hold off final judgement until the end.  Like I said... win one in the dance and we did what I wanted.

Every team goes through rough stretches. Such is life in the Big 10.  However, our rough stretch consisted of a loss to Rutgers and two home losses in a row.  Not what I was expecting this year.

Our performance out of conference has set us up for a chance even though we’re 3-6.  Another big one on Tuesday or Wednesday or whenever.  The ole dreaded must win is probably going to be coming out.

2 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Questions to those who were there. Lots of early exits or were people just too tired to move? Did Copeland ever try to get  back in after his injury? If not, it would be an ominous sign that someone thought there was serious damage and wanted the MRI for confirmation.

Crowd was dead whole first half, place was far from full maybe 9,000 actual people there? Yeah cope was walking under his own power. Got stretched on sideline. Went to locker room. Was probably on the bench the last ten minutes of the game

As much as this loss sucks I can't help shaking the feeling things are really going to suck because Cope will be out for anywhere from a while to forever.  Hope I'm wrong there.

We left about 16 points on the court in bunnys the first half?  That certainly doesn't help the ol' mental game.