Prep vs. North Star - who’s going??

Coach Miles and staff will be there. Game is in Lincoln tonight. 

As for the matchup, Arop will actually be guarded by North Star’s #20, who is 6’7” and has offers from NW Missouri State and is getting recruited by The Citadel.  I watched them last night vs. Millard South, which North Star won 60-32. I posted my observations of Donovan specifically in the recruiting thread. Anyone planning on catching two future Huskers?  

Good high school game.  Sat with HB and his beautiful wife.  Saw Lewis at the game as well. Arop is an excellent high school post player.  How that translates to a college player will be "interesting" to watch.  I am not convinced he can play on the perimeter, but we shall see.  He still reminds me of a shorter version of Jason Dourisseau.  Williams is the real deal.  He takes some defensive sets off, but he has unlimited range and can get to the hoop.  Prep won in overtime.

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Good high school game.  Sat with HB and his beautiful wife.  Saw Lewis at the game as well. Arop is an excellent high school post player.  How that translates to a college player will be "interesting" to watch.  I am not convinced he can play on the perimeter, but we shall see.  He still reminds me of a shorter version of Jason Dourisseau.  Williams is the real deal.  He takes some defensive sets off, but he has unlimited range and can get to the hoop.  Prep won in overtime.

I'm intrigued by arops versatility once he puts on muscle. I don't think he'll ever be a high level scorer. Probably will surpass 10 ppg by his senior year. But I think he could guard 1-4 at the collegiate level. Obviously he needs to put on muscle. But length, explosiveness, and athleticism is what intrigues me. He'll be a very solid player by his 2/3 year I believe. 

7 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm intrigued by arops versatility once he puts on muscle. I don't think he'll ever be a high level scorer. Probably will surpass 10 ppg by his senior year. But I think he could guard 1-4 at the collegiate level. Obviously he needs to put on muscle. But length, explosiveness, and athleticism is what intrigues me. He'll be a very solid player by his 2/3 year I believe. 

He is certainly athletic and he has explosive jumping ability.  He also has nice touch around the rim.

4 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I wish he could grow an inch or two to get to 6'7/8 but I can live with him being 6'6. 

There is no way he is 6'6".  I won't buy that height.  When Josiah fouled out or was not in the game, Arop was guarded by Lopez, who is a 6'3" dude who looks like a defensive end or linebacker.  Lopez is 6"3".  Lopez was nearly the same height as Arop.  Both HB and I noticed that.  It is hard to determine how tall Josiah is because his hair is fantastically long.  But on his best day, absolute best day Arop is 6'5".

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

There is no way he is 6'6".  I won't buy that height.  When Josiah fouled out or was not in the game, Arop was guarded by Lopez, who is a 6'3" dude who looks like a defensive end or linebacker.  Lopez is 6"3".  Lopez was nearly the same height as Arop.  Both HB and I noticed that.  It is hard to determine how tall Josiah is because his hair is fantastically long.  But on his best day, absolute best day Arop is 6'5".

He's listed as 6'5/6 on most websites lol. That's why I mentioned that

3 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

North Star is a big team. Saw them dominate Millard South the night before- Josiah is about 6’7”, and Donovan is 6’5”.  Heard Donovan had 36 pts. and 12 boards...

He also would have had ten or more assists if teammates could have knocked down more shots.  

If I were able to give some observational advice to these two recruits, the tidbits would include:

- Akol, keep working on your handles and your outside game.  At this point neither skill is prepared for the next level.

- Donovan, you have unlimited range, but you need not prove it in a game situation.  Shots six or eight feet beyond the three point line can be costly in tight games.

- Donovan, chatting with "fans" during a contest is not recommended plus, letting opponents get into your head can show weakness.  I know that a certain amount of trash talking is going to occur, but too much can distract you from your game.  

Both these players are talented and can play at the high division one level, and I am glad we have them on board...at least for now.

9 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Thing I kept reminding myself on Friday night was Donovan is just a 17 year old Jr. Will have to grow up some mentally, but has plenty of time. I don’t like him jawing with fans, but he gives me the vibe that he has the confidence and swag our team desperately needs to have right now. 

No question.  He sort of reminded me of James.  Both in terms of swagger and game.  I have seen him play a few times now, his game is improving.

Edited by Huskerpapa

5 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Thing I kept reminding myself on Friday night was Donovan is just a 17 year old Jr. Will have to grow up some mentally, but has plenty of time. I don’t like him jawing with fans, but he gives me the vibe that he has the confidence and swag our team desperately needs to have right now. 

After watching our last couple games, I've been praying for a little emotion. Too much is bad, but like you said a little confidence and swag would be nice right about now. Think Petteway had a lot of dog in him during our NCAA tourney year. Think were missing someone like that this year.