Northwestern Vs. Nebraska Game Thread ETC.

Bugeaters1

Halftime Stats:

NW outshooting us in FG's, Treys, & Rbs, (we've had a lot of shots rim out. We don't quite have the range.) But NW has two players w 2 PF, (Wood & Hopkins) and 3 more with one foul ea. Kate Cain has two, & Nicea, Veerbeek & Mershon w/ one each).

image.png

8 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Tough Loss!!   One thing we know is the Husker Ladies NEVER QUIT!

Indeed they don't.  Of course, ladies have things to work on and get better at.  Sun at Wiscy will be challenging for us I suspect.  Not too surprised at the loss, but a tough one and tough to lose three at home in the conf. now.  Plenty of games left to get some more wins and a lot to play for.  GBR!!  :)?

45 minutes ago, Red Don said:
They wiped the stats page before I could post them!  (Maybe next time they will put 'Nebraska' as one of the headers)

(Stay Tuned for the Official Box Score when they publish it)

Here is the box score.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5481739.pdf

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?clip=5906672&cid=4102&db_oem_id=100

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?clip=5906673&cid=4102&db_oem_id=100

Edited by Bugeaters1

Basically they shot 50% in the 4th. 36 for game....we shot 42% in 4th and 29% for the game.   Game over.

We actually played decent defense...not earth shattering....but made them work for it. 

They took control in the 4th. Made shots down the stretch

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, kevinpete2016 said:

who was Amy referring in her press conference that "everyone" was saying how great we shoot from perimeter and then one of our starters goes 1 for 11 from perimeter?  Amy seemed to be very directed with that statement early in her press conference.

Pretty sure she said our "starting wings" went 1-11.   She wasn't talking about just one player.  But yes, it was a "directed" statement. 

I think she said starting "wings"...her stats weren't quite right, but the message was clear....but Coach was really disappointed in all areas...period.

Did noticed she took one player out for a while...because the player was just throwing it up, with little regard for setting up any offense. (IMHO)

Anyway...Coach thought our perimeter shooting was bad. ...and all shooting wasn't good... and she's right. Their defense forced us to shoot long...and we didn't respond with decent shooting.  And some seemed hesitant to drive into the lane...so shoot long.

And she thought the end of the game was poorly executed.  (You'll have to listen to her press conference.)  

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?clip=5906673&db_oem_id=100

An unhappy coach.....the game was within reach.....we didn't execute.  We'll learn from this one.

Edited by redsteve

After an overnight in Lincoln and a 3 hour drive home, these are some of my reflections on the NW game.

1.   NW was quicker at nearly every position

2.  We were intimidated inside by their shot blocker

3.  Grace provided a much needed spark late in the 3rdand early in the 4th

4.  8/28 on three’s.  Many were clearly rushed and several were poor shot selections.

5.   Somebody, anybody has got to rebound.

6.  NW was good on transition defense and we were not good on transition offense.

We have to aggressively go after rebounds.  Time and again we might have position but NW was quicker to the ball, tipped balls to keep alive and got to loose balls.  Despite all the above, we had a chance.  I believe we have to become a more athletic team to compete at the higher levels.  Sometimes, effort isn’t enough.

4 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Grace only played 7+ minutes, but really shined.  Happy for her.

On another topic, how does the +/- stat line work?  The individual stats don't seem to equal the team total.  What am I missing?    

I think I have answered my own question.  Unless only one player played at a time, Individual +/- isn't going to equal team total.   DOH! 

With the poor field goal shooting; poor 3 point shooting;  ineffective offense; lack of rebounding effort; turnovers; lack of defense; failure to coach up a 6'5"center; and poor use of time outs,  Williams and her coaches need to be looking at their own ineffective coaching for the close games that we are losing!!!!!!  Minimally she may need to shake up the assistant coaching staff for next season.  Williams needs to look in the mirror and get some things fixed ASAP with the team!!!!! 

58 minutes ago, Redhac said:

With the poor field goal shooting; poor 3 point shooting;  ineffective offense; lack of rebounding effort; turnovers; lack of defense; failure to coach up a 6'5"center; and poor use of time outs,  Williams and her coaches need to be looking at their own ineffective coaching for the close games that we are losing!!!!!!  Minimally she may need to shake up the assistant coaching staff for next season.  Williams needs to look in the mirror and get some things fixed ASAP with the team!!!!! 

Previously I thought you were an Iowa fan.  Now I'm sure of it!!!

We should be able to win holding a team to 58 pts. Problem was our shot selection was poor. Last years team shared the ball, this team not so much. It’s gonna be a long night when your two leading scorers go 3 of 18 from the field.  Many quick shots and 1-on-1 plays.  Move it around, play as a team, win the game. 

14 hours ago, Redhac said:

My initial reaction, was to give you a thumbs down.  But, I'll hold off for now.  There might be bits of truth, in your post.   I don't feel, shooting is one of them.  Any team can have an off shooting night. On the season, we've shot the 3 well.  Scoring has been adequate.   Now, defense has left room to be desired.  D has been stressed since the team reported for practice.  It might be an area where our youth is showing.  Cincore is gone.  She was our defensive heart last year.  Nicea has picked it up, and Mershon is getting the hang of it.  Defense is as much "want to" as natural ability.  We are in the process of identifying and developing those players. Subtle changes in starting line-up and minutes of play, reflect this process.  There has been concern expressed, in this forum, some returning players aren't playing up to expectations.  I can't totally disagree.  Perhaps, the quality of our opposition has something to do with it.  Maybe, there are aches and pains we know nothing about. Maybe, the strength and conditioning department could be more effective?  

I don't think it is the coaching.  Coach Williams sees what is going on.  Hearing her talk about an inbound pass being "soft and nonchalant", was reassuring to me.  Has the coaching been perfect? No.  Coach admits as much.  This conference, and the non-conference schedule, is full of quality teams.  Flaws, like inexperience and athleticism, get exposed in a hurry.  Hopefully, progress is being made.  Regardless of the number of losses, I'm enjoying watching this team develop.  GBR