JPJ in Conference

On 1/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, PimpMario said:

Agreed.  I wish Roby and Copeland and several others would step up

Hard to step up when either the system expects forced dribble drives or what is more likely....the system allows poor shot selection to continuously happen by one player 

On 1/23/2019 at 8:12 AM, TheGov21 said:

One of my biggest gripes with Miles is he isn't doing anything to get JPJ going. Maybe I've missed it, but has Miles ran any form of a set play to get him going? Teams are playing him to drive and flying over to cut him off. Against Michigan State and Rutgers he tried to force the shots and they didn't go well. He's also settling for more 3's. Run a play to get him a good look, or something. 

You have 5 guys that can space the floor, can handle the ball, and have good vision.  No need to run stuff to ‘get s guy going’. The balm will find you. Why would you run a play for your 4th best shooter on the team. Maybe run a play to get him an iso but with the defense rules in college basketball that doesn’t help much unless he’s a willing passer 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, thrasher31 said:

One thing I have noticed. Jpj was money from the mid range last year. I remember he was very good from there. Here's abandoned that completely I've noticed. Or am I remembering wrong?

And Miles was in the media all preseason and early season saying he wanted more 3s taken and more drives ... less mid-range. I get what the analytics say, but you can't make yourself something you aren't. The fact he kind of abandoned this lingo tells you he didn't necessarily believe it either.

8 hours ago, TZAHL said:

You have 5 guys that can space the floor, can handle the ball, and have good vision.  No need to run stuff to ‘get s guy going’. The balm will find you. Why would you run a play for your 4th best shooter on the team. Maybe run a play to get him an iso but with the defense rules in college basketball that doesn’t help much unless he’s a willing passer 

Yes because that is working so well. In theory that works, but this offense is so stagnant having guys (especially Palmer) just standing around. I'm not saying that have to run plays every time down, but if he's struggling to get to the rim or get open looks, run a play to get him going or at least moving. 

45 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Yes because that is working so well. In theory that works, but this offense is so stagnant having guys (especially Palmer) just standing around. I'm not saying that have to run plays every time down, but if he's struggling to get to the rim or get open looks, run a play to get him going or at least moving. 

I do not think it is really the offense or set plays, it is execution. Do not think we are fundamentally sound a lot of times. Hard cuts, using ball screens, setting screens and rolling (besides TB), and most of all we are not a great passing team IMO. We miss a lot of open guys

45 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I do not think it is really the offense or set plays, it is execution. Do not think we are fundamentally sound a lot of times. Hard cuts, using ball screens, setting screens and rolling (besides TB), and most of all we are not a great passing team IMO. We miss a lot of open guys

I do agree with you there that they are not executing very well. JPJ would also benefit in my option by setting screens. He really doesn't do that. He can also get some open look off of screens and forcing his defender to move around more.

9 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

And Miles was in the media all preseason and early season saying he wanted more 3s taken and more drives ... less mid-range. I get what the analytics say, but you can't make yourself something you aren't. The fact he kind of abandoned this lingo tells you he didn't necessarily believe it either.

It happened.

2018 mid range 2s: 37.7% of our shots

2019 mid range 2s: 25.5% of our shots