JPJ in Conference

35% from two, 30% from three, 33% from the field. 3.3 TO per game. He's taking 15 shots a game, over a quarter of our shots. 

Shooting more shots at a much lower clip than Petteway was during that NCAA run. 

I love the kid, but he flat out needs to be better if we want to be a solid non-bubble team.

Agreed.  I think a good starting point is going to be less is more.  There’s times when they are daring someone else to beat them and JPJ still try’s to beat them.  Share the rock, we have 5 capeable scorers... 6 including Nana if you want... and using everyone else will open it back up for JPJ.

20 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

35% from two, 30% from three, 33% from the field. 3.3 TO per game. He's taking 15 shots a game, over a quarter of our shots. 

Shooting more shots at a much lower clip than Petteway was during that NCAA run. 

I love the kid, but he flat out needs to be better if we want to be a solid non-bubble team.

It's not as high of a shot share as Petteway but yeah that eFG% is downright awful. He's getting and making enough FTs to boost all of this to where it's not terrible.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

NBA on the brain...which isn't happening. Sadly he doesn't realize that and it's hurting this team. 

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

What were his efficiency stats in the last half of conference last year? Wondering if he’s playing that much worse, or if conference teams “figured him out” after his good start last year...

8 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

What were his efficiency stats in the last half of conference last year? Wondering if he’s playing that much worse, or if conference teams “figured him out” after his good start last year...

@hhcmatt might have better advanced stats - but last year overall in conf he shot 12% higher from the field and about 20% from 2. His three point % is actually better this year. I would guess the advanced stats are pretty telling.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

@hhcmatt might have better advanced stats - but last year overall in conf he shot 12% higher from the field and about 20% from 2. His three point % is actually better this year. I would guess the advanced stats are pretty telling.

I’m particularly interested in the end of last year’s conference season. It seems like he struggled to be efficient down the stretch, but I am going off memory. 

24 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

This will include the two games played in December both years

True shooting percentage (TS%): (New) This is Gasaway’s old PPWS divided by 2. It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.

image.png

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This will include the two games played in December both years

True shooting percentage (TS%): (New) This is Gasaway’s old PPWS divided by 2. It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.

image.png

So 2018 is all conference season? If so, it makes sense he was way better. If it just includes the latter half, then it seems to prove my memory is wrong again. 

Here is breakdowns of "at the rim" vs "2pt Jumpers".  This is built off of data from ESPN or the such so it's only as accurate as that data is.

For Palmer

The good: JPJ is shooting less 2pt jumpers and those attempts are now 3pt attempts and hasn't sacrificed his FTR doing so

The bad: shooting 11% lower at the rim and 19% lower from two.  

image.png

image.png

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Agreed.  I think a good starting point is going to be less is more.  There’s times when they are daring someone else to beat them and JPJ still try’s to beat them.  Share the rock, we have 5 capeable scorers... 6 including Nana if you want... and using everyone else will open it back up for JPJ.

I have been advocating for JPJ to become more of a facilitator. He can draw & dish. Allen &  Watson can take those passes & bury shots instead of JPJ forcing the issue to no avail. And, since in many recent ballgames JPJ has failed to produce FT abundance (save MSU) it would behoove him to be more selfless not more selfish in "getting his" which is what it appears JPJ has been doing a lot more lately.

He needs to stop trying to be our best player and be one of several very good players.  When he plays within the system (move the ball, move without the ball, be active on defense), he still gets his.  Look at the first half when we were destroying RU.  JPJ was calmly within the flow of the game and getting about a point a minute.  We piss down our leg when he forces the action.  I don't like the "selfish" labels just like I didn't like them for TP, and JPJ has won a shitload of games for us by being aggressive.  But I remember a lot of quiet 15 point games out of him last year, and we were usually winning handily when he showed up in the stat book that way, because it meant 3-4 other guys were probably in double figures.  We need more of those games.  

And, yeah, the team needs to get ice back in their veins at the line.  Yeesh.  

19 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Man he just has been not effective from 2. He just isn't finishing around the basket like he was last year. eFG and TS% went from solid (not incredible) last year to absolutely horrid.

One of my biggest gripes with Miles is he isn't doing anything to get JPJ going. Maybe I've missed it, but has Miles ran any form of a set play to get him going? Teams are playing him to drive and flying over to cut him off. Against Michigan State and Rutgers he tried to force the shots and they didn't go well. He's also settling for more 3's. Run a play to get him a good look, or something. 

10 hours ago, LK1 said:

He needs to stop trying to be our best player and be one of several very good players.  When he plays within the system (move the ball, move without the ball, be active on defense), he still gets his.  Look at the first half when we were destroying RU.  JPJ was calmly within the flow of the game and getting about a point a minute.  We piss down our leg when he forces the action.  I don't like the "selfish" labels just like I didn't like them for TP, and JPJ has won a shitload of games for us by being aggressive.  But I remember a lot of quiet 15 point games out of him last year, and we were usually winning handily when he showed up in the stat book that way, because it meant 3-4 other guys were probably in double figures.  We need more of those games.  

And, yeah, the team needs to get ice back in their veins at the line.  Yeesh.  

Might it be more about the rest of the team not looking to him to be this player?  How many open 3s are Tom and Isaiah going to pass up because they don't have the confidence to take them? Glynn and Copeland are usually there shooting-wise though Cope doesn't have a lot of confidence in his drive so he's not nearly as aggressive at the end.

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Might it be more about the rest of the team not looking to him to be this player?  How many open 3s are Tom and Isaiah going to pass up because they don't have the confidence to take them? Glynn and Copeland are usually there shooting-wise though Cope doesn't have a lot of confidence in his drive so he's not nearly as aggressive at the end.

I agree with this to an extent, but mainly with Roby.  If he forced the issue as much as JPJ he’d score 20 a game.  I think Cope has been great all year offensively, and Watson has been pretty good as well.  The problem is that JPJ has clearly been green lighted to shoot at will, but he has largely earned that right, so it’s probably tough to bring a guy like that back into more of a role after demanding he be an alpha.  

Hot take:  Tom is our most natural scorer.  

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Good point. With Isaiah, passing up the 3 is probably a confidence issue. With Tom, I would gather that it's more likely a deferral issue. Nearly every time Tom pulls the trigger, I think the ball is going in. He needs to let it fly. The other thing with Isaiah is that he often gets his iso's 25 feet from the basket. It is really hard to get to the rim taking your defender off of the dribble from that far out. I'd like to see more high post or turn and face baseline iso opportunities for Roby.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:49 AM, The Polish Rifle said:

Per my memory Palmer has had two to four shoots blocked per game in conference.

10 hours ago, bkamler said:

Per my memory Palmer has had two to four shoots blocked per game in conference.

Teams have finally figured out how to defend JPJ. And that's never been more evident than the blocked attempts, as far as stats go. Palmer also has had to alter a ton of shots around the rim, which has caused him to miss bunnies on a fairly regular basis, especially of a recent variety. He's struggling, which means JPJ should become a facilitator first, allow Glynn & Tom open looks from the land of plenty. Make Cope a 15'-17' shooter, then that allows Roby to become a 'rover' type who cleans up ppl's messes.