Rolling Down the Rock Bottom!

jimmykc

I just thought I would throw this phrase out since I haven't run across it yet. Just remember we have only lost two in a row , so I haven't gotten there yet. I predicted last week that we would have to bring the "A" game to win at Rutgers and Illinois and we didn't do it.  Both players and fans are prone to believe hype, and I think last night will bring us down to earth with a thud. I'll be glad to remove the "?" in the title if this result happens with the Illini. What I saw last night was what the lack of depth and a quality "big" can do if this group begins to take itself too seriously. We should be ok if we stay the course, which must begin on Saturday.

Edited by jimmykc

Last night needs to be rock bottom.   Can't afford it not to be.    Home or away, that performance was inexcusable for a veteran team.    Multiple players off their game, we had bricks for hands, poor effort, turnovers, stood around on offense , not much fight, Tim apparently wants to save his time outs for some other season rather than stop a 15-0 run.   Team has some serious problems.   Can they fix them?  

9 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I don't care what you call it. It's the same stuff, different names on the jerseys. Tired of Miles. He just doesn't have it. Wish he did. But he doesn't.

I think someone else in the postgame thread earlier said it right: Miles is particularly good with small programs, reviving them and pulling upsets as the underdog. When he needs to run sets and has expectations on a good team...thats another story. 

I find that people are too quick to push the panic button.  They're also too quick to do the opposite.

Just a week ago, people who last year were calling for Miles to be fired were projecting us as a top ten team at the end of the year.

Losing to Rutgers doesn't help our cause but it's not an insurmountable obstacle, either.

I just go back to what I said 5 years ago when we last made an NCAA tourney run: "Either we're good enough or we're not."  We're neither in nor out at this point.

1 hour ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

I think someone else in the postgame thread earlier said it right: Miles is particularly good with small programs, reviving them and pulling upsets as the underdog. When he needs to run sets and has expectations on a good team...thats another story. 

Yep. I've been saying that for 3 years. Too many Miles apologists on this site, though, so I stopped posting.

Makes me laugh when Miles says things like, "We have to run to the fight." Does anyone buy that crap? Does anyone genuinely think 20 year-olds would follow him into a fight?

Is there any team in the Big Ten that would trade their current head basketball coach straight up for Tim Miles and view it as an upgrade? (If you answer yes, you are incorrect.)

Edited by dustystehl

8 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I just go back to what I said 5 years ago when we last made an NCAA tourney run: "Either we're good enough or we're not."  We're neither in nor out at this point.

I mean, at this point with how crazy up and down CBB is, and we are, thats a solid cover-all statement. can't go wrong there. and sometimes it's good to let go a bit like that. 

32 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Yep. I've been saying that for 3 years. Too many Miles apologists on this site, though, so I stopped posting.

Makes me laugh when Miles says things like, "We have to run to the fight." Does anyone buy that crap? Does anyone genuinely think 20 year-olds would follow him into a fight?

Is there any team in the Big Ten that would trade their current head basketball coach straight up for Tim Miles and view it as an upgrade? (If you answer yes, you are incorrect.)

Glynn Watson followed him into a fight. 

If rock bottom is an 8 seed projection by Lunardi then sign me up.

Minnesota and Penn State would consider Miles and upgrade and Indiana is probably tired of getting beat by him. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

Minnesota and Penn State would consider Miles and upgrade and Indiana is probably tired of getting beat by him. 

But can you acknowledge that if we have more performances like last night, that the 8 seed projection goes bye bye?  

From one of my buddies who was a D1 athlete:   "This team has no heart.  To have that much talent and no heart, just  makes me want to puke".  

If there is any validity to that, how do you manufacture it mid-season?   Man, we may miss tough guys like Evan Taylor and Anton Gill more than anyone could have realized.  

14 minutes ago, HB said:

But can you acknowledge that if we have more performances like last night, that the 8 seed projection goes bye bye?  

I think everyone needs to acknowledge this.  Our schedule is tough.  If we don’t get our act together, we will play our way well out.  There’s no middle ground this year.  No 20 wins and we don’t get in.  

Like Norm said, we’re either good enough or we’re not.  We can certainly play our way in, but no way are we clear of a danger zone.

26 minutes ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

We dropped 3 seed lines with this loss. That’s huge. 

Not rock bottom, we have been much worse obviously but this team is underachieving thus far. 

40 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

You guys. We are seeing the same song and dance play out. You can try to deny all you want. But March will end in disappointment like it has the past 7 years.

Actually we are seeing a completely new song and dance play out.  We are 13-6 (3-5) and everyone is going off of their rockers.  Some of it is earned after last nights debacle.  Everyone is pissed with the fact that we lost last night.  Myself included.  However, the "same" song and dance would be playing from behind... playing without expectations... playing to just try and secure a bid to dance.

This year is different.  We are playing from ahead.  Playing with expectations.  Playing to not just secure a bid to dance, but to secure a bid good enough to make a run in the dance.  That my friend is a completely different song and dance from past years.  Now will March end in disappointment?  Most likely.  Just about every team out there will lose their last game of the season.  That is a disappointment for me.  Could it end up like the past 7 years?  Sure... we could come to the same ending.  But the song and dance this year is much different from previous years.  I don't remember being 13-6 and 3-5 in previous years.  In previous years, that would make most of us around here giddy.  We aren't.  Why?  Because this year we are playing with expectations and the team didn't live up to them the past few weeks outside of a game or two.

The Rutgers loss on its own is a bad loss. Combined with losses at Minnesota, at Maryland and at Iowa, it’s adds up to more. Yes - it’s tough to win on the road in the B1G. That’s especially true for teams in the bottom half of the conference... I did not expect this team to be a bottom-half team. 

There is a lot of basketball left - I certainly hope we can turn it around. By NO means is this “rock bottom,” but - short of a major turnaround - I don’t see us reaching our (Miles’, the team’s or the fans) expectations. Hopefully we see a major turnaround. 

Just now, B-town hoopsfan said:

Well you asked if there was any team, there’s atleast two. Maybe Illinois? 

I realize we lost last night, but I would throw Rutgers and maybe even NW and Ohio State into those rings as well.  Tim is a well like and respected coach around the league.  I have seen posts on other teams boards about how they wouldn't mind having him for a coach.

Edited by hskr4life