Rolling Down the Rock Bottom!

jimmykc

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Something cracked in this team the day we lost to Michigan St

Yep

My opinion...and my opinion only....is we hyped that game up in our minds so much.   That was our coming out party so to speak.   We were unbeatable at home and we were going to knock off the top dog and move forward with a special season.   When that didn't happen, we lost our edge and sleep walked through Rutgers.   That significantly damaged our confidence and edge and Copeland's knee injury was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm not angry anymore. I'm not playing the "what if" games in my head. I'm sad. I'm accepting that this season will not be what we all hoped it would be. On the plus side, I'm in the final stages of grief!

I'm still going to the games. I'm still going to cheer for our players. I love those kids! They decided to wear Nebraska across their chest, just as I love to do. They just look so demoralized out there and it kills me. I want more for them!

11 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I'm not angry anymore. I'm not playing the "what if" games in my head. I'm sad. I'm accepting that this season will not be what we all hoped it would be. On the plus side, I'm in the final stages of grief!

I'm still going to the games. I'm still going to cheer for our players. I love those kids! They decided to wear Nebraska across their chest, just as I love to do. They just look so demoralized out there and it kills me. I want more for them!

That is a pretty good summary of where a lot of Nebrasketball fans are at, tbh.

22 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Yep

My opinion...and my opinion only....is we hyped that game up in our minds so much.   That was our coming out party so to speak.   We were unbeatable at home and we were going to knock off the top dog and move forward with a special season.   When that didn't happen, we lost our edge and sleep walked through Rutgers.   That significantly damaged our confidence and edge and Copeland's knee injury was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Kinda like USC 2007...

I think the team was a victim of listening to too much unaccustomed hype from fans and media. Suddenly the expectations began to cause mental pressure to "measure up". Losing to Mich State sort of broke the mental bubble and then losing one of our senior stalwarts caused panic to set in. Paradoxically, now that "rock bottom" has been reached and we have nothing to lose, I expect us to relax, enjoy playing the underdog again, and actually pick up some more victories before the season ends. 

To me our troubles look beyond basketball.  To have experienced players like Palmer and Watson tank at the same time is really strange.  You wonder if it is some personal issues that are affecting their game.  With a short turnaround and having to go to Purdue Saturday there isn't time, but if things don't improve at Purdue (which probably won't) I would give the kids 2-3 days off and tell them not to touch a ball and just get away from the game to clear their heads and hope to make a run with the few remaining games.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, nustudent said:

Yep

I took a lot of grief for being upset at the MSU loss.  It just felt like during the game we needed that one

On 1/25/2019 at 8:44 AM, The Polish Rifle said:

I agree with you, its part on Miles and part on the players. Plenty of people have brought up our players not living up to their talent level. I started a thread about JPJ 2 days ago that's still on the 1st page. I think were pretty fair about blaming the players.

When you keep having the same problems with every new batch of players, isn't that on the coach/system?

Or maybe it’s we are who we are. 

Option 1. Get disciplined 3 star talent that will do everything right and finish 18-14 and we hate the recruiting 

option 2. Get lower 4 star talent and transfers that have a lot of upside but fail to do the little things and we finish 18-14 and we blame execution. 

Nebrasketball.  It’s FANtastic. And gives a guy grey hair, an ulcer, and a drinking problem

7 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Or maybe it’s we are who we are. 

Option 1. Get disciplined 3 star talent that will do everything right and finish 18-14 and we hate the recruiting 

option 2. Get lower 4 star talent and transfers that have a lot of upside but fail to do the little things and we finish 18-14 and we blame execution. 

Nebrasketball.  It’s FANtastic. And gives a guy grey hair, an ulcer, and a drinking problem

7 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Well, I only have 2 of the 3, so I'm feeling pretty good.  

7 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I think we found it. The headstone reads:

"February 19, 2019: Here Lies Rock Bottom."

Yeah, this felt a ton worse than the 7-game losing streak, because at least NU played good D in that stretch. Tonight was downright awful. PSU is probably a lot better than 10 wins, but still.... sheesh.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, jayschool said:

We're still 17 days away from the potential Rock Bottom, @ 0-14 Penn State on 2/19. Lose that, and we might end up tied for last after finishing fourth last year. Or maybe it's NU (3-16, 13-17) losing to Iowa by 25 at home in front of more Hawkeye than Husker fans. I'm done predicting what could be more horrible than anything I've seen in the last 50 years of following this team. No matter what I think, it just gets worse.

There's my horn. TOOT!