Rolling Down the Rock Bottom!

jimmykc

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Is this a defense first team or offense first team? Are we looking to outscore teams and do enough of offense or throttle teams and do enough on defense. Does that change based on the opponent? Do we know?

I thought we had an identity last year as a small ball team which would create mismatches and attack the rim, and on defense, as a team which would lock in a take away other teams' primary options. This year, I don't think we have that identity. 

We have to figure out what we're gonna do with our post defense. Neither Roby or Cope is a true post defender. It appears to me that they worry about picking up fouls and that inhibits their aggressiveness (and they end up picking up fouls anyway). Tanner plays his butt off, but Jordy's absence has been a factor. The mere presence of a 7'0", 275 pound guy off of the bench is significant. We miss Taylor's toughness on defense (probably Gill's as well). That said, you have to adjust, whether it be more on-ball pressure and attempts to create turnovers, aggressive hedges and double-teams, or multiple zone looks (don't know if we're equipped to do that, but we're getting killed in the lane). Regardless, in the homestretch, I hope we see a team that attacks on offense and gets its 3's coming inside-out. There's still time to get the ship going in the right direction, but not much.  

Edited by Coaches kid
clarify

8 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

OK, lets get into this.

Who did I call cowardly? Was I referring to everyone on this board or a specific group of posters? Are you in that group of posters? Let me answer for you, no you are not.

I'm not sure why you think I was in anyway referencing you @HB ? 

I didn't think you were referring to me, I just thought the post was a little over the top under the circumstances.    I don't think most of the posters questioning how we're doing through 8 conference games is an exercise in "self-loathing".    It has been a rough week or two in terms of Texas Tech, Seton Hall, Creighton, and Indiana, so not being super enthused about having them be our best wins shouldn't be subject to ridicule.     I would have hoped we could have grabbed a bigger W, and avoided a couple of the losses, with what we had coming back.  Now, if we take care of business down the stretch and win the home games and 1 or 2 road games, we get in the Dance even without an indisputably  great win, and who knows what could happen.   But barring a big turn around in how we play, we're sending the good seed down the highway.  Perhaps we'll peak late season or in the conference tournament.    Anyway, its all good on my end.

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Speaking of Goldy the Gopher, they were blown out in Champaign, beat Penn St by a point, and came within a buzzer beater of Michigan last night. So who knows which squad will show up in Lincoln. I know the local scribes are calling for young Richard's head, and I don't think an NIT bid will save his position. As for my Conference prediction, we'd have to go a blistering 11-1 down the stretch to hit what I thought was a reasonable number...

I think too much was made of our seniors and their "experience", and that jacked up expectations too high. The reality is that all of these players had lags in their earlier career--from Palmer riding bench and Cope losing time to a serious injury. The reality is that *this* team is only in their second season playing together, and that two of the three seniors spent a lot of their first two years riding pine or on a physical therapy table. Only Watson gets the credit for 4 years of on court regular experience (and I wish he'd assert it more). 

It's not like these guy have been playing together as a unit for 4 seasons or even on the same team. That's the hazard with transfers. They may still carry the class designation of an upperclassman, but they're often starting over in a new program. 

4 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

I thought we had an identity last year as a small ball team which would create mismatches and attack the rim, and on defense, as a team which would lock in a take away other teams' primary options. This year, I don't think we have that identity. 

We have to figure out what we're gonna do with our post defense. Neither Roby or Cope is a true post defender. It appears to me that they worry about picking up fouls and that inhibits their aggressiveness (and they end up picking up fouls anyway). Tanner plays his butt off, but Jordy's absence has been a factor. The mere presence of a 7'0", 275 pound guy off of the bench is significant. We miss Taylor's toughness on defense (probably Gill's as well). That said, you have to adjust, whether it be more on-ball pressure and attempts to create turnovers, aggressive hedges and double-teams, or multiple zone looks (don't know if we're equipped to do that, but we're getting killed in the lane). Regardless, in the homestretch, I hope we see a team that attacks on offense and gets its 3's coming inside-out. There's still time to get the ship going in the right direction, but not much.  

What's really frustrating is that last year's team was as good, if not better. It's too bad the B1G got no respect and, in turn, we didn't either. When you think about what we lost, you had to figure we could possibly struggle. We basically lost an entire lineup that was as good as most Doc Sadler starting lineups: Jordy, Duby, Jack, Anton, and Evan. We replaced those guys essentially with Tanner (played some last year), Nana (hardly played at all last year), Amir (been sick, true freshman), and Brady (undersized weight-wise, true freshman, hasn't done much since 9-5 at Minnesota). I think last year's squad would beat this team more times than not. Now, Watson, Copeland, and Allen are playing better than last year, but I'm not so sure about Roby or Palmer (at least not Palmer as of late)

OSU NET 29 probably ends as a Q2 W

WIS NET 16 probably Q1

@ Ill NET 112probsbly ,q2 must win

Mary NET 18 q1

@ pur 14 q1

@ PSU 76 q2 must win

Pur 14 q1

@ mu 6 q1

@ msu 4 q1

Iowa 22 q1

Just finishing with home wins and must win  that gets us to 21 - 9 and 11 - 9 in conf

That's 6 - 8 against Q1.  6 - 1 against q2.

We need to start defending better and playing better.  Maybe have Thomas and Roby come off the bench 

I'd sit Tom and Roby down and say I am starting Nana and Tanner.  It's nothing against Tom or Roby.  I want some bench points.   

I go to Nana, and tell him the number of minutes you play tonight is totally up to him.  I give him the best offensive player on the team and shut him down.  If you can't do it, I will get Harris.  I think we need our best athletes playing and stop assigning their best offensive playing to Glynn or James.

Could you imagine the starting lineup of 

Glynn

Nana

Palmer

Copeland

Tanner

Then, the under 16 time-out

You have

Glynn

Nana

Palmer

Roby 

Brady (4)

Go to zone at the under 12

Tom

Palmer

Cope

Roby

Tanner (8)

Back to the under 8 to

Glynn

Tom

Nana (12)

Cope

Roby

Under 4 to

Glynn (16)

Tom (12)

Palmer (16)

Cope (16)

Roby (16)

Adjust to shooting, foul trouble, and defense.

The key is shutting down the 3 or making more 3's  We are allowing conference teams to shoot at .356 and we are shooting at .323.  And, then get to the free throw line, and make them when we get there.

And, none of this BS of being like we just need to beat team A and B because it will help us make the dance.  How about just rolling the ball out, and say "we know we're better than you, so we're going to kick your ass?" Tim, you made them soft.

17 hours ago, jason2486 said:

What's really frustrating is that last year's team was as good, if not better. It's too bad the B1G got no respect and, in turn, we didn't either. When you think about what we lost, you had to figure we could possibly struggle. We basically lost an entire lineup that was as good as most Doc Sadler starting lineups: Jordy, Duby, Jack, Anton, and Evan. We replaced those guys essentially with Tanner (played some last year), Nana (hardly played at all last year), Amir (been sick, true freshman), and Brady (undersized weight-wise, true freshman, hasn't done much since 9-5 at Minnesota). I think last year's squad would beat this team more times than not. Now, Watson, Copeland, and Allen are playing better than last year, but I'm not so sure about Roby or Palmer (at least not Palmer as of late)

I had forgotten about losing Jack. It would be nice to have him as a contributor this year. As good as I think our starting 5 is, until recently I was wearing rose colored glasses about this team's shortcomings. Though nearly every team out there has weaknesses, our current woes have shined the light on our weaknesses. We are probably a bench player or two away from being a sure-fire upper echelon big ten team. The Xavier Johnson decommit was significant as well, though I think Amir will be a solid player for us. Xavier would have been a major contributor right away. I share the concern that our coach is not a great psychologist with this bunch. It appears to me they aren't having a lot of fun playing the game right now. A little bit of Scott Frost's mantra of "having a desire to excel without the fear of failure" would do these guys good right now.  

4 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

I had forgotten about losing Jack. It would be nice to have him as a contributor this year. As good as I think our starting 5 is, until recently I was wearing rose colored glasses about this team's shortcomings. Though nearly every team out there has weaknesses, our current woes have shined the light on our weaknesses. We are probably a bench player or two away from being a sure-fire upper echelon big ten team. The Xavier Johnson decommit was significant as well, though I think Amir will be a solid player for us. Xavier would have been a major contributor right away. I share the concern that our coach is not a great psychologist with this bunch. It appears to me they aren't having a lot of fun playing the game right now. A little bit of Scott Frost's mantra of "having a desire to excel without the fear of failure" would do these guys good right now.  

+1, I have the same thoughts, I thought this during the Penn State game, which they won, but it sure didn't look like they were having much fun.  Maybe coach needs to cancel practice one night and take'em all out for some laser tag and pizza, or whatever millennials are into these days.  amiright, or amiright?

20 hours ago, brfrad said:

OSU NET 29 probably ends as a Q2 W

WIS NET 16 probably Q1

@ Ill NET 112probsbly ,q2 must win

Mary NET 18 q1

@ pur 14 q1

@ PSU 76 q2 must win

Pur 14 q1

@ mu 6 q1

@ msu 4 q1

Iowa 22 q1

Just finishing with home wins and must win  that gets us to 21 - 9 and 11 - 9 in conf

That's 6 - 8 against Q1.  6 - 1 against q2.

We need to start defending better and playing better.  Maybe have Thomas and Roby come off the bench 

Your missing home games vs NW and Minn. We just win out at home gets us to 20 and in tourney. Would be nice to win 1-2 on the road as I think we will probably lose another at home. 

Nobody wants to talk about the white elephant standing in the corner of the room.  It’s been hinted at but nobody wants to blame players. Rather they blame the coach (which it is in part his fault)

Palmer kills ball movement, takes bad shots, on a good night plays slightly below average defense, and doesn’t rebound.  The comparison to Petteway shouldn’t even exist because the supporting cast that TP had doesn’t hold a candle to what JPJ has. Get JPJ right and the team will be good. Continue with the low efficiency and being the worst player on the team in every other area then we won’t go far. 

Miles and JPJ aren’t stupid. You either adjust or you lose. Whether that means JPJ adapts or Miles starts cutting his minutes will be the telling sign. The 3 game stretch culminating with the Creighton game was the abberation, not the norm. 

This is completely true, but Miles obviously feels this is our best option as he regularly plays 40 mins a game if fouls allow him. Miles has had someone who plays hero ball on some level most years he's been here. To me IT IS Miles's fault. We don't have the depth to sit him and he continues to give him free reign.

7 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Nobody wants to talk about the white elephant standing in the corner of the room.  It’s been hinted at but nobody wants to blame players. Rather they blame the coach (which it is in part his fault)

Palmer kills ball movement, takes bad shots, on a good night plays slightly below average defense, and doesn’t rebound.  The comparison to Petteway shouldn’t even exist because the supporting cast that TP had doesn’t hold a candle to what JPJ has. Get JPJ right and the team will be good. Continue with the low efficiency and being the worst player on the team in every other area then we won’t go far. 

Miles and JPJ aren’t stupid. You either adjust or you lose. Whether that means JPJ adapts or Miles starts cutting his minutes will be the telling sign. The 3 game stretch culminating with the Creighton game was the abberation, not the norm. 

I agree with you, its part on Miles and part on the players. Plenty of people have brought up our players not living up to their talent level. I started a thread about JPJ 2 days ago that's still on the 1st page. I think were pretty fair about blaming the players.

When you keep having the same problems with every new batch of players, isn't that on the coach/system?

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

If we lose this or any other games it all points back to whether we win if Cope is still playing

True. Actually, from here on out, I'm pretending it's 2009 or 2013 and we're the underdog in every game. I expect to win nothing, so any victory will be a joy. Just like the old days. No expectations. 

Edited by jayschool

On 1/26/2019 at 5:39 PM, jayschool said:

True. Actually, from here on out, I'm pretending it's 2009 or 2013 and we're the underdog in every game. I expect to win nothing, so any victory will be a joy. Just like the old days. No expectations. 

This is the epitome of Nebrasketball. And we should all be tired of it. I'm sick of our loser mentality. Time for change.