Rolling Down the Rock Bottom!

jimmykc

46 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Actually we are seeing a completely new song and dance play out.  We are 13-6 (3-5) and everyone is going off of their rockers.  Some of it is earned after last nights debacle.  Everyone is pissed with the fact that we lost last night.  Myself included.  However, the "same" song and dance would be playing from behind... playing without expectations... playing to just try and secure a bid to dance.

This year is different.  We are playing from ahead.  Playing with expectations.  Playing to not just secure a bid to dance, but to secure a bid good enough to make a run in the dance.  That my friend is a completely different song and dance from past years.  Now will March end in disappointment?  Most likely.  Just about every team out there will lose their last game of the season.  That is a disappointment for me.  Could it end up like the past 7 years?  Sure... we could come to the same ending.  But the song and dance this year is much different from previous years.  I don't remember being 13-6 and 3-5 in previous years.  In previous years, that would make most of us around here giddy.  We aren't.  Why?  Because this year we are playing with expectations and the team didn't live up to them the past few weeks outside of a game or two.

Stagnant, motionless offense with poor three-point shooting and no desire/ability to rebound. That's the song and dance I'm talking about - systemic issues that have plagued Miles his entire tenure (expect for February 2014, I suppose).

As for March, the results* speak for themselves. I think it would be foolish to expect anything other than 0-1 in a postseason tournament.

*This image does not include the loss to Mississippi State in last year's NIT, so the total record should be 7-26.

March Miles.png

I didn't name the thread. I don't think this is "rock bottom" (though, other than losing to Illinois at home, this is the worst possible conference loss they could have endured). This game just showcased all the frustrations I've had with Miles-coached teams the past several years. I'm just tired of seeing the same thing. I want change. I hoped that this season would be a step in the right direction for Miles, but the same issues plague us. The common denominator is Miles. His schtick has worn off for me and for a lot of fans. I just don't think he's cut out to be a Big Ten coach. It's fine if you do, but the results do not back that up. So I don't understand why people insist on defending him.

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

"Rock Bottom" is finishing 4-8 or worse, NOT making the Tournament, seeing Miles dismissed, and having a misinformed fan base (I'm being polite) wonder why Lue and Hoiberg aren't chomping at the bit to Coach in Lincoln.

Lue and Hoiberg aren't coming here, but that has nothing to do with evaluating how the 2018-19 team is performing.   I hope those with a rosy view of things end up prevailing and we finish strong.  But those having serious questions after that egg we laid last night plus being 3-5 shouldn't be castigated.   The way we played last night made it worse than just another loss in terms of questions being raised for the future. 

41 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Well you asked if there was any team, there’s atleast two. Maybe Illinois? 

For the record, I don't think there is any team in the Big Ten that would trade straight up for Miles. I have believed for some time he is the worst coach in the conference.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I realize we lost last night, but I would throw Rutgers and maybe even NW and Ohio State into those rings as well.  Tim is a well like and respected coach around the league.  I have seen posts on other teams boards about how they wouldn't mind having him for a coach.

Rutgers no. Northwestern maybe. Ohio st hell no. 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

"Rock Bottom" is finishing 4-8 or worse, NOT making the Tournament, seeing Miles dismissed, and having a misinformed fan base (I'm being polite) wonder why Lue and Hoiberg aren't chomping at the bit to Coach in Lincoln.

If we fail this year the majority of the fans won’t care if it’s not Hoiberg or Lue. The fanbase will be ready to move on from Miles regardless. 

Obviously that could backfire and we turn into a Rutgers but that should be a risk we are willing to take IMO.  To be fair, with the resources and money we should be doing better than still waiting on our first postseason win since joining the Big Ten. That includes the NIT. 

7 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I just thought I would throw this phrase out since I haven't run across it yet. Just remember we have only lost two in a row , so I haven't gotten there yet. I predicted last week that we would have to bring the "A" game to win at Rutgers and Illinois and we didn't do it.  

Rutgers played poorly on my estimation.  We could have brought our C- game and won last night

Last night's loss was terrible.  (I am neither blind nor totally stupid) but we are only one game off where I thought we would be.  KenPom has us ending the year between 7-5 (our cumulative record) and 9-3 (in there game by game predictions).  That is my expectation as well.   I will be disappointed if we can't do it.  We have given ourselves little margin for error.  Have to protect the home floor and when another road game or two.  I thought we should finish between 11-9 and 13-7 but these scenarios say between 10-10 and 12-8. 

There is an outside scenario where we finish 6-6 and slip in on the bubble.  I think this scenario with a 9-11 conference record would disappointing and only remedied by an NCAA upset win.  To answer another poster in the thread, this is what makes the 8 seed go bye-bye.  This is a disappointing result to me only salvaged by an NCAA win.

Depth and post play was going to always be the issue in a 20 game Big 10 season.

Edited by HuskerPower #nato73

10 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

then i'd stop complaining because legendary coaches aren't knocking on the door to come here. not saying miles should be retained, but there's nothing to suggest we will hire anything more than an up and coming mid major like we've done the last 3 times around.

You're barking at the wrong guy.   I have never been the one saying we can hire some big name proven winner or "legendary guy".    In fact I've always said we can't.     But that doesn't mean we can't ever make another hire of any kind.  We'll see how it goes.  

4 hours ago, nebrasketball10 said:

The Rutgers loss on its own is a bad loss. Combined with losses at Minnesota, at Maryland and at Iowa, it’s adds up to more. Yes - it’s tough to win on the road in the B1G. That’s especially true for teams in the bottom half of the conference... I did not expect this team to be a bottom-half team. 

There is a lot of basketball left - I certainly hope we can turn it around. By NO means is this “rock bottom,” but - short of a major turnaround - I don’t see us reaching our (Miles’, the team’s or the fans) expectations. Hopefully we see a major turnaround. 

Rutgers loss is the only one that could be considered bad. 

Fortunately, we didn't get dumped by Incarnate Word this year, so getting dumped on the road by an NET top 150 team, while it sucks, isn't the end of the world.

But losing at Minnesota (65), Maryland (20) and Iowa (24) can hardly be considered bad losses.

We're either good enough or we're not.  If we're good enough, we'll win enough of the remaining games to make the tourney.  If we don't, it's probably Miles' last season.

I think we're good enough. But I've been wrong before.

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Rutgers loss is the only one that could be considered bad. 

Fortunately, we didn't get dumped by Incarnate Word this year, so getting dumped on the road by an NET top 150 team, while it sucks, isn't the end of the world.

But losing at Minnesota (65), Maryland (20) and Iowa (24) can hardly be considered bad losses.

We're either good enough or we're not.  If we're good enough, we'll win enough of the remaining games to make the tourney.  If we don't, it's probably Miles' last season.

I think we're good enough. But I've been wrong before.

Im not suggesting they were individually bad losses... but I think the combined effect of all of them is bad. 

I agree with your “we’re good enough or we’re not” comment, but I guess with the returning roster, simply making the tourney wasn’t my definition for success this year. I hoped to finish in the top 4-6 in the conference. Not to say anything worse is a failure, but we’re not trending in the right direction.