uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 19 - @ Rutgers

uneblinstu

No question this was a horrible loss (Quad 3), however, we are NOT on the Bubble, nor are we close to being on the Bubble.  As of now, we still have eight Quad 1 (four at home) and four Quad 2 games (3 at home) remaining.

Q1: at Purdue, at Penn State, at Michigan State, at Michigan, vs. Wisconsin, vs. Purdue, vs. Maryland, vs. Iowa

Q2: at Illinois, vs. Ohio State, vs. Northwestern, vs. Minnesota

Without taking the conference tournament into consideration, this team likely needs to finish out 7-5.  Probably can chalk up at Michigan St. and at Michigan as losses.  Take out those two games and we would now need to finish 7-3, with seven of those ten remaining home games.  We are pretty much unbeatable at home (played awful against Michigan St., only lost by 6).

Max of 3 losses from: at Purdue, at Penn State, at Illinois, vs. Ohio State, vs. Wisconsin, vs. Maryland, vs. Purdue, vs. Northwestern, vs. Minnesota, vs. Iowa

Of the above, only Purdue worries me and I think we take 1 of 2. 

Just my opinion, but I feel like we play to up/down to our competition (played Michigan St., Maryland, and Minnesota tough; struggled against Penn State, Rutgers, and for a while, Illinois).  Would not be shocked at all to beat Ohio State and Wisconsin by 10+  Again, terrible loss, but this team still has a lot of big games on the schedule.  I'm going to remain positive and believe the seniors can carry us through.  

Best 5 wins:

#33 at Indiana (Q1)

#56 vs. Seton Hall (Q2)

#57 at Clemson (Q1)

#63 vs. Creighton (Q2)

#69 neut. Oklahoma State (Q2)

Worst 5 6 losses:

#142 at Rutgers (Q3)

#65 at Minnesota (Q1)

#24 at Iowa (Q1)

#20 at Maryland (Q1)

#11 neut. Texas Tech (Q1)

#5 vs. Michigan State (Q1)

The Big 12 had worse loses than Rutgers on their resumes and they were fine. Practically everyone but Iowa State was given respect by the selection committee. But we still have more work to do in getting more quality wins on our resume.

26 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

No question this was a horrible loss (Quad 3), however, we are NOT on the Bubble, nor are we close to being on the Bubble.  As of now, we still have eight Quad 1 (four at home) and four Quad 2 games (3 at home) remaining.

Q1: at Purdue, at Penn State, at Michigan State, at Michigan, vs. Wisconsin, vs. Purdue, vs. Maryland, vs. Iowa

Without taking the conference tournament into consideration, this team likely needs to finish out 7-5.  Probably can chalk up at Michigan St. and at Michigan as losses.  Take out those two games and we would now need to finish 7-3, with seven of those ten remaining home games.  We are pretty much unbeatable at home (played awful against Michigan St., only lost by 6).

Max of 3 losses from: at Purdue, at Penn State, at Illinois, vs. Ohio State, vs. Wisconsin, vs. Maryland, vs. Purdue, vs. Northwestern, vs. Minnesota, vs. Iowa

Just my opinion, but I feel like we play to up/down to our competition (played Michigan St., Maryland, and Minnesota tough; struggled against Penn State, Rutgers, and for a while, Illinois).  Would not be shocked at all to beat Ohio State and Wisconsin by 10+  Again, terrible loss, but this team still has a lot of big games on the schedule.  I'm going to remain positive and believe the seniors can carry us through.  

THANK. YOU. a very much-needed spot of clarity, summing up our situation. it's dire times right now. I believe as well that they have potential, but that doesn't mean I think at the rate we're going that this is "the year". super disappointing ofc. 

1 hour ago, BjoeHusker said:

It's probably too early to even be talking about the bubble but before Rutgers on T-Rank we were projected a 4 seed and now we are projected a 7 seed.  To me....when you starting getting in that 8-9 seed range you are a bubble team.  Winning the net two will be crucial. 

I've been thinking these guys are too soft and way too laid back for a long time. Body language and blown leads show it. Gotta have a "killer" or 2 on the team that can back it up. We don't. Tired of JPJ driving and expecting a foul instead of expecting to score. I get that he wants to draw fouls. That's fine and dandy but make your damn free throws! That crap don't play in the NBA my man.

I think there are two causes for worry moving forward.

1.  The Teams Psyche.  I saw Rutgers had a players only team meeting before our game.  Maybe we should try it.  But moving forward, I worry that this team feels too much pressure.  How do they respond to that?  I thought for sure after Indiana, we were good.  Last night it was not good the closer we got to the end.  That leads me to my next point... 

2.  Playing in tight spots.  I think we can all agree that we’ve pretty much stunk in tight spots so far.  That’s on a game by game level.  However last night is going to make the end of the season tight.  We aren’t near the bubble, but we are nearing the 8-11 seed range and that is the bubble.  How does this team respond now that things are getting tight in the season?  I hope it’s a heck of a lot better than tight games.

With that being said, I believe that we still have the starting five to play with anyone.  Last night doesn’t change that.  The reason we were more pissed than usual last night was BECAUSE we are and should have been so much better.

We don't have any depth, so guys get mentally fatigued, if not physically. As a result, they commit silly fouls and make mental errors.

We are aren't physical inside so we give up a lot of offensive rebounds and commit fouls.

In my mind, these are facts that lead to exactly the type of results we've seen. I think we're still a good team and we'll make the tournament, but I never thought we had a chance of winning the BIG or even finishing top 3. The depth and rebounding issues prevent that.

I don't buy the crap about the players not caring. That came from a coach who apparently would prefer to blame his players than look in the mirror. 

12 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Recently ... tonight for sure ... but that's just me reading into it. I could easily be wrong. There's a lot of time and season left.

His first foul

His second foul was for him being on the court after the refs blew a call and pinned the makeup on him.

Miles pulled him for a bit but he was back in before the end up the second half.

Miles stuck with him through thin more than thick that game as Mathis, a guy who couldn't buy an outside shot, torched him and Nebraska most of the night

Just now, hhcmatt said:

His first foul

His second foul was for him being on the court after the refs blew a call and pinned the makeup on him.

Miles pulled him for a bit but he was back in before the end up the second half.

Miles stuck with him through thin more than thick that game as Mathis, a guy who couldn't buy an outside shot, torched him and Nebraska most of the night

I almost completely forgot this foul.  This was ridiculous.  He didn't even back up.  I think he was more surprised when the guy landed on top of him.

8 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

Excellent, reasoned approach. GBR !!!

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

His first foul

I absolutely agree that call was horrific ... what was Allen to do?

Miles has/had practically no choice but to play Allen. He's a better player than he shows here at Nebraska imho. I would love to see us run a few more sets for him when we need a good look. He's probably our best pure shooter, which isn't saying much. He's a bit undersized for ideally what we seem to want in a guard.

7 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

It's probably too early to even be talking about the bubble but before Rutgers on T-Rank we were projected a 4 seed and now we are projected a 7 seed.  To me....when you starting getting in that 8-9 seed range you are a bubble team.  Winning the net two will be crucial. 

The problem is that all of these projections as of right now are using the assumption that we will win the games we are favored to win. There's a lot to be done yet to reach that projected seeding.

To me it felt like we lost to Rutgers because we fell into a trap that a lot of teams do when they experience success in that we took our foot off the gas.  Feedback after the game was that the players nor the coaches were putting a ton of mental effort into beating Rutgers be it by not focusing or not scouting or whatever.  Doesn't it seem like if we played like we did against Mich St we win this one? Doesn't it seem like a pretty decent effort wins this one?

I think we very well could explain away a lot of our loses.  Tech is a good team, Minnesota was inspired, etc.  There is no explaining away this game. 

The fortunate part about this team with its current record and schedule is that losing this game doesn't cost the season.

The question is what are the lessons to be learned here and are they something that will drive this team going forward?

We very well might come out and kill Ohio St on Saturday.  Does what happened at Rutgers fade away?  That's the sort of thing I think dictates how the rest of this season will go.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

To me it felt like we lost to Rutgers because we fell into a trap that a lot of teams do when they experience success in that we took our foot off the gas.  Feedback after the game was that the players nor the coaches were putting a ton of mental effort into beating Rutgers be it by not focusing or not scouting or whatever.  Doesn't it seem like if we played like we did against Mich St we win this one? Doesn't it seem like a pretty decent effort wins this one?

I think we very well could explain away a lot of our loses.  Tech is a good team, Minnesota was inspired, etc.  There is no explaining away this game. 

The fortunate part about this team with its current record and schedule is that losing this game doesn't cost the season.

The question is what are the lessons to be learned here and are they something that will drive this team going forward?

We very well might come out and kill Ohio St on Saturday.  Does what happened at Rutgers fade away?  That's the sort of thing I think dictates how the rest of this season will go.

Next two home games are huge as far as mindset. Last season NU was 6-4 after 10 B1G games. This year, with two more Big Ten (at home) wins, this NU squad would be 5-5. And, then it's at the Illini followed by home against Maryland..... so, let's flush Rutgers so as to try & get our collective "poop in a group" Huskers !! GBR !!!