uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 19 - @ Rutgers

uneblinstu

It’s the horrible turnovers Palmer has. Go back and watch the Maryland game. He lost it with his carelessness. He’s turning it over like candy. He’s forcing threes. He’s getting rattled and taking quick threes in key moments. He’s missing free throws. Terran Pettaway was better during his last year here and he didn’t even sniff the nba. Nor did Maric (same thing different position). Just play for your brothers on the team and you will still have a nice lucrative career overseas. But get the nba out of your Head Bc it’s not happening. Copeland would have a legit chance if he could defend. 

5 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Also for as much blame (and deservedly so) that Miles is taking. James Palmer has been GOD AWFUL these last two. The NBA stuff must be in his head and as a result he’s setting himself up for overseas and taking the team down with him. Unfair? A bit. But that’s the reality. 

As long as we are discussing players....I’m sick of hearing about how “Roby doesn’t know how good he can be.”

He’s a junior.  This is not some freshman we are talking about. Sooner or later we may have to come to grips that he is a solid player who is never going to reach his full potential at Nebraska. 

Part of that may be due to him having to play the 5 due to Miles inability to recruit an inside presence. 

Agree on Roby. I hope he doesn’t someday look back and wonder “what if.” One thing I believe - he and Watson would run through a brick wall for this program. They are dream teammates. 

Speaking of Jordy leaving high and dry... don’t get me started about his little stunt showing up in Lincoln last month. Get the hell out of here with that. You totally screwed this program with your brother running the show for his fantasy nba dream. 

*sigh*  Not sure tonight is the best night to post my thoughts.  But what the heck, I will anyway. ?

So the pragmatist in me is trying to take a macro view of this situation.  Listen, its not like we're playing for a big ten title, or trying to make the final four.  We just need to win an NCAA tournament game.  Until we do that, that is our glass ceiling.  With that said, the road losses this year, games we could have/should have won, I think speaks to a larger issue with either this team or the program as a whole.  This Senior laden team, Mile's best team in his tenure here, seems to be awfully mentally soft on the road.

Lets just be playing our best in the last quarter of the schedule and peak in March, if that happens I think we'll be alright.  If not...

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Missed FTs suck.  Also people see he scores 20+ and don’t see that he does it on 15-20 shots.  Cope on the other hand can score 15-20 and will be much more efficient.

a lot of people see only stats, and dont watch the game to see the context for those numbers. unfortunate reality. Happens in this age of stat analytics. I don't mind stats but you have to be holistic. 

12 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

As long as we are discussing players....I’m sick of hearing about how “Roby doesn’t know how good he can be.”

He’s a junior.  This is not some freshman we are talking about. Sooner or later we may have to come to grips that he is a solid player who is never going to reach his full potential at Nebraska. 

Part of that may be due to him having to play the 5 due to Miles inability to recruit an inside presence. 

A big part of that is due to this

1 minute ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Moos is gonna can Miles, (which I hope he doesn’t) he better have someone in his hip pocket. I don’t want to hear about a “search committee” at seasons end if that’s how it plays out. Let’s remember this is the same team that beat Indiana a WHOLE week ago...

If he fires Miles, it will be just.  Because it means he didn't make the tournament which is inexcusable with the talent we have

2 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Moos is gonna can Miles, (which I hope he doesn’t) he better have someone in his hip pocket. I don’t want to hear about a “search committee” at seasons end if that’s how it plays out. Let’s remember this is the same team that beat Indiana a WHOLE week ago...

To be fair that Indiana team has lost 4 straight and isn't that impressive of a win as it stands now. 

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Dererk Pardon is playing 30 minutes a game as a center in this league so physically there is no reason why Roby can't and given his ability being guarded by a traditional 5 should be an advantage for him offensively.

I know some will be surprised at me saying this, but there are A LOT of games left. Just like all of this "we will make the tournament" talk is all premature (it's amazing to me that it's talked about like it's a foregone conclusion when there are 12 conference games left) so is the doom and gloom. Although most on here know where I've stood about Miles for quite some time.

If Michael Lewis truly has some offensive stature, Miles would be well served to turn the reigns over to him (if he hasn't already) on offense ASAP. It's amazing how year in and year out we consistently struggle to score and have patented scoring droughts despite the offensive talent we have. That's coaching.

Of course this is technically a bad loss and in reality is a bad loss. Rutgers hasn't been playing well and our calling card of defense failed us. I fear Miles is close to losing this team if we don't take advantage of this next 7 game stretch. Leadership from the players is lacking and body language is saying a lot from my perspective. Thomas Allen struggled tonight and he has the look of someone who will be transferring imho.

The way we are losing is especially frustrating. So much mental going on ...

Just now, hskr4life said:

This.

This is what I keep telling myself. 

Sweep the home games. Maryland becomes HUGE. Purdue both H/A becomes HUGE. Illinois we SHOULD win. God forbid they lose that. 

I can still see 22-23 wins. 5 of the next 7 at home. But God I'm pissed. Tonight needs to be a gut check for them. Take a long hard look in the mirror

2 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

This is what I keep telling myself. 

Sweep the home games. Maryland becomes HUGE. Purdue both H/A becomes HUGE. Illinois we SHOULD win. God forbid they lose that. 

I can still see 22-23 wins. 5 of the next 7 at home. But God I'm pissed. Tonight needs to be a gut check for them. Take a long hard look in the mirror

Every game is now huge.  The thing is... every game was (or should have been) huge.  We need to play like we have something to prove.  Because we do.  We don’t get the opportunity to be lackadaisical.  We haven’t earned that yet.