Nebraska (13-5) vs. Rutgers (8-9) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Easy. Playing in the same conference as Kansas who always won the sole bid in the Big 8 even when we had tourney winning worthy rosters, then shooting away the few good chances we had under Nee when the tournament expanded.

that actually makes sense.  thanks for letting me know.  good night friends.  im done.  RU sucks.  try being a fan.... trolling after a "big" win is all we have....  

IMO, Two major letdowns. 

1) Defense.  Allowed the worst shooting team in the conference to shoot 44%, gave up 14 offensive rebounds, and a lot of easy layups.

2) Free throws.  10/18 (56%) is not going to get it done, especially when four of those misses came from Palmer (82% coming into the game) who missed the front end of three one-and-one's.  

Just now, jimmykc said:

I see what you are driving at, but really any attempt to compare Nebraska football to Nebraska basketball is like comparing apples to kumquats.

Agreed, there is no comparison.  That's why I don't know why Frost was brought up.  Miles still has a chance to secure a long term extension but he has a lot of work to do. 

I only brought it up because someone mentioned we needed a "Frost-like" Coach for basketball who could wring out the maximum ability from a limited roster, (assuming that's what Frost did last season) Yes, there is no real comparison, I get that. It just puzzles me how quickly everyone is willing to turn on Miles, who beat a Top 25 team on the road a whole week ago (remember)? And yet, since Frost is "one of us" he's given an extra long leash regardless of any outcome because we like to believe what happened at UCF will, no questions asked, happen here. Lot's of games left, and a lot more highs and lows, if we can finish .500 or better this will just be filed away in the bad loss column. Next up Ohio St.

Edited by Handy Johnson

21 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I only brought I up because someone mentioned we needed a "Frost-like" Coach for basketball who could wring out the maximum ability from a limited roster, (assuming that's what Frost did last season) Yes, there is no real comparison, I get that. It just puzzles me how quickly everyone is willing to turn on Miles, who beat a Top 25 team on the road a whole week ago (remember)? And yet, since Frost is "one of us" he's given an extra long leash regardless of any outcome because we like to believe what happened at UCF will, no questions asked, happen here. Lot's of games left, and a lot more highs and lows, if we can finish .500 or better this will just be filed away in the bad loss column. Next up Ohio St.

Miles has been here 7 years.   Not even close to an analogous situation.   Turn on him quickly?   We're in year 7!   And no way Indiana was a top 25 type team when we played them.   Technically the rating in the now irrelevant rankings hadn't yet been changed, but it wasn't like we beat a great team out there.   Nice win, but followed up with an OK performance and then a terrible  one. 

1 hour ago, HB said:

Miles has been here 7 years.   Not even close to an analogous situation.   Turn on him quickly?   We're in year 7!   And no way Indiana was a top 25 type team when we played them.   Technically the rating in the now irrelevant rankings hadn't yet been changed, but it wasn't like we beat a great team out there.   Nice win, but followed up with an OK performance and then a terrible  one. 

I meant “quickly” as in last week to this week. Is Indiana a Top 25 team? Probably not, but they WERE when we beat them in Bloomington. My point is, this team isn’t as “good” or “bad” as their best/worst performance. Now is not the time to take the gas pipe...

29 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I meant “quickly” as in last week to this week. Is Indiana a Top 25 team? Probably not, but they WERE when we beat them in Bloomington. My point is, this team isn’t as “good” or “bad” as their best/worst performance. Now is not the time to take the gas pipe...

Generally I agree with you.   But expectations are must higher this year than typical, and so the losses, which are piling up, mean more.    We've lost a home game, blew a game at Minny, lost a tough one at a good Maryland team, all in addition to a sad, sad performance last night.   If we are OK heading toward a .500 league record this year(some years that would be really good), then your points are valid.   I don't think that is the mindset of most this year.