Nebraska (13-5) vs. Rutgers (8-9) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Look man.  You’re right, I bleed red.  More so than most.  And when someone gives up, it pisses me off.  Don’t get me wrong, I get pissed.  Do I say more than I should sometimes?  Probably.  But there’s one thing that I hate more than anything... and that’s giving up.  So if someone wants to give up, fine, but I will challenge them every day of the week.  Because true fans won’t give up.  I also think HB will come around.  Tomorrow’s a new day.

No, I've crossed over.  This one was inexcusable.  Tim ain't getting this team back.  He knows he's a dead  man walking.  Too bad, good guy who I've supported for 7  years.  But he's not getting it done.  BTN guys are skewering us.  Deservedly so.  Hate to see it but I'm not blind.    But I'll still be there at every game.  Knowing where we are doesn't change that.  But I'm not gonna make excuses for this mess 

Edited by HB

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Tim ain't getting this team back.  He knows he's a dead  man walking.  Too bad, good guy who I've supported for 7  years.  But he's not getting it done.

Serious question.

For those with this position, would it be better to make the tournament and lose (or not make the tournament at all) or Miles gets our first tournament win?

Seems the latter would just be "kicking the can" if it's a coaching problem.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Serious question.

For those with this position, would it be better to make the tournament and lose (or not make the tournament at all) or Miles gets our first tournament win?

Theres no question.  Miles getting the win.   Doing something we have never done is not 'kicking the can'.   

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Serious question.

Perfect world would be running great on the variance of college basketball, making final 4, Tim becoming a hot commodity and moving on, and us getting a better coach since the job would be perceived well:)  

20 minutes ago, HB said:

No, I've crossed over.  This one was inexcusable.  Tim ain't getting this team back.  He knows he's a dead  man walking.  Too bad, good guy who I've supported for 7  years.  But he's not getting it done.  BTN guys are skewering us.  Deservedly so.  Hate to see it but I'm not blind.    But I'll still be there at every game.  Knowing where we are doesn't change that.  But I'm not gonna make excuses for this mess 

I know we’ve had our differences tonight, but I hope that we win that first one this year and I hope that you’re still there because we all deserve that much.  

3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Perfect world would be running great on the variance of college basketball, making final 4, Tim becoming a hot commodity and moving on, and us getting a better coach since the job would be perceived well:)  

Maybe this would allow us to get a 2-for-1 deal depending on how this baseball season shakes up.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I know we’ve had our differences tonight, but I hope that we win that first one this year and I hope that you’re still there because we all deserve that much.  

Don't worry, hell,  I'll be there this Saturday morning throwing down pregame cocktails at 9 am.   But hope is one thing and the disgrace tonight is probably more indicative of where we are 

1 minute ago, HB said:

Don't worry, hell,  I'll be there this Saturday morning throwing down pregame cocktails at 9 am.   But hope is one thing and the disgrace tonight is probably more indicative of where we are 

Well make sure throw one down for this guy and for all of those of us who don’t live in Nebraska.

19 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Serious question.

If Miles gets our first tournament win this year, even if he followed it up with two or three straight losing seasons and I'd be good with keeping him around.  He could go full Bo Pelini and get recorded saying how much he hates it here and hates the fans, and it wouldn't bother me.  This program just needs to win an NCAA tournament game - right now that is the only important goal.

If he doesn't get it this year, the question is, will he ever?  Very few major conference coaches get their first NCAA win in year 8, fewer get it in year 9, and nobody has ever gotten it after year 10.  Only two major conference coaches since the tournament expanded have lasted past year ten without an NCAA win, and one of them was Danny Nee.

Next year we might have some decent talent - Burke has to make the jump from the NEC, Green has to adjust from JC, Allen can't disappear like he does way too often, and Roby absolutely can't have nights like he did tonight, when he got outplayed by a 6'7" guy playing on one leg.  And even if that turns out to be decent talent, with the possible depth and size issues, the chances of making a tournament run aren't real high unless they get somebody else up front that can really play.  After all, even the bad major conference teams have some good players.

The next year, with Allen, Green, Burke as seniors there's a chance he could piece a roster together, but Miles had that same chance in year 3, 4, 5, 6 and it never quite happened.

1 minute ago, HuskerDooos said:

Look... this one hurts....  a lot..  but this RU team is up and coming.  I really think under that coach they have, that Tom Izzo thinks is amazing, they will soon be a perennial top 5 team in the big 10 and we will look back on this loss as our first loss in what will be a great rivalry.  

Well done.  You may get some bites

2 minutes ago, HuskerDooos said:

Look... this one hurts....  a lot..  but this RU team is up and coming.  I really think under that coach they have, that Tom Izzo thinks is amazing, they will soon be a perennial top 5 team in the big 10 and we will look back on this loss as our first loss in what will be a great rivalry.  

No.  Just no.  

10 minutes ago, HuskerDooos said:

Good god man put down the sauce!

51 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Serious question.

I honestly think he would leave if he got the tournament win. There’s some AD out there that would take him for the same or maybe more money plus gets job security if we end up dancing and winning our first ncaa game. Hell look at the northwestern coach a few years ago he was a candidate to take over at duke after coach k leaves when they got into the dance. Now northwestern is a bottom half big ten team in back to back years. 

1 minute ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I honestly think he would leave if he got the tournament win. There’s some AD out there that would take him for the same or maybe more money plus gets job security if we end up dancing and winning our first ncaa game. Hell look at the northwestern coach a few years ago he was a candidate to take over at duke after coach k leaves when they got into the dance. Now northwestern is a bottom half big ten team in back to back years. 

I mean, all this talk about winning a tournament game after tonight.  "playoffs!"   

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Good god man put down the sauce!

well i just think youre not giving this team credit... they've been to the final 4! they were NIT runner ups...have we ever been to the final 4? hell have we even won an ncaa tournament game ever?  ( wait all trolling aside, how is that even possible?)

2 minutes ago, HuskerDooos said:

well i just think youre not giving this team credit... they've been to the final 4! they were NIT runner ups...have we ever been to the final 4? hell have we even won an ncaa tournament game ever?  ( wait all trolling aside, how is that even possible?)

Easy. Playing in the same conference as Kansas who always won the sole bid in the Big 8 even when we had tourney winning worthy rosters, then shooting away the few good chances we had under Nee when the tournament expanded.

6 minutes ago, nustudent said:

The road games are hard mantra is getting old and played out.  Yes, road games are harder than home games.  But good teams win road games.   And they especially win roads against teams they are better than.

If you are cool with losing to good teams at home (MSU) you have to beat bad teams on the road. Right now were doing what a 10-10 conf team does. That's great if you want to sweat it out on the bubble - but this team can be better than that. Gotta start winning a couple we shouldn't and win all the ones we should. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle