Nebraska (13-5) vs. Rutgers (8-9) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Here is the deal.  We have some good pieces.  We are soft.  We are not well coached.  We can beat most teams in the nation on a given day.  We are a tourney team.  This is the ceiling under Miles.  It is frustrating as he is the one that got these pieces.  He just cannot coach them without Smith unfortunately.  Lets stick with them and hopefully we can get in the dance and win a damn ballgame.  At this point going to be hard to get away from the 8-9 line which will make things very tough to make any type of run.  

3 minutes ago, PimpMario said:

This sucks.  I think I will wait until tomorrow to really say much.  But we lost to a team with a losing record who was 1-6.

But I think the reason people are hard on Miles is because, yes he recruited good talent, but he doesn't seem to be getting much out of them.  We seem to be wasting it

Great approach. Yeah I think we want someone like frost that knows how to coach em up, get the most out of guys and find guys who are gritty and put it all out on the floor, not to say we have 0 of this on the court atm. But that's what nebraska fans love, is getting max player development. Think wisconsin. We have the talent, but might need to switch a few things up before we start turning things around

Just now, B1G Red said:

Entirely coaching. It’s what happens when you overhype a game and then bemoan the loss - see MSU - instead of moving on. The mentality of the kids reflect the mentality of their leader. 

I have my issues with Miles' approach to sports psychology, but I'm not entirely sure this is one of them. There's some real coaching talent on that bench. Question is, how much influence do they actually have? I don't know. 

If we haven’t learned how to win games like this by now. As some suggest above. When we have two 5th year seniors, two 4th year seniors and a junior in our rotation - PLUS a 7th year coach - then we never will. You don’t learn how to win on the road against bottom level teams you’re favored by 10 against this late in the game. You have it or you don’t. 

1 minute ago, HB said:

We ain't making shit.  In the tank 

Ive never seen you like this! Not sure I like it. Look, this team has enough talent to go on a run an even when a tourney game. 

But, we’ve been down this road. It’s unfortunate it looks like Miles is going to blow yet another talented roster. 

6 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Pathetic. No fire and no heart. Consistent bad shots when going gets tough. This team panics way too easily. Down 5 with 5 left and we are having players hock up prayers with 17 on the shot clock. Welcome to the last 4 in.

If that.  Most likely a complete meltdown and team is lost.  Then we start from scratch again 

4 minutes ago, tcp said:

hey, dude, this isn't your own personal board. you don't get to play attitude cop with every opinion you don't like. it needs to stop. I get that your naturally an optimist. that's an awesome thing. but stop being a fascist with people that aren't in agreement with you. it needs to stop. please. you're going out of your way to start a fight. 

I can disagree if I want.  What he’s saying is incorrect.  Period.  It pisses me off when you say you’re a Husker fan and give up on a group of kids in the same breath.  I will continue to voice my opinion.  Period.  If you don’t like it... that’s fine.  I can say whatever I like just as much as the next guy.  If someone is overreacting, I will call them out on it.

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I hope Moos has that list very close to him and is updating it real time. 3-5 in the Big Ten with the “most talent” we’ve had in 25 years. 

Could it be coaching? ?

I wouldn’t hold my breath that he has a list, it’s Moos and we’re talking about basketball...I’m sure we’ll get John Jonson from NW Alabama Christian Tech at a bargain of less then a million a year so we can buy the football team a hover bus for away games.

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Ive never seen you like this! Not sure I like it. Look, this team has enough talent to go on a run an even when a tourney game. 

But, we’ve been down this road. It’s unfortunate it looks like Miles is going to blow yet another talented roster. 

Yeah, when a guy like me goes this dark, u know it's bad.  Not sure I've ever seen such a pathetic performance.  Embarrassing.  No excuse.  

Just now, B1G Red said:

Agreed. We need a coach who 1) knows what a time out is; 2) uses them; and 3) can design a play that works out of them.

In fairness, we did have one of these. It didn't end well...:) 

Still would like to find a way to mind meld Docs game coaching with Miles' recruiting. That would be something. 

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

I can disagree if I want.  What he’s saying is incorrect.  Period.  It pisses me off when you say you’re a Husker fan and give up on a group of kids in the same breath.  I will continue to voice my opinion.  Period.  If you don’t like it... that’s fine.  I can say whatever I like just as much as the next guy.  If someone is overreacting, I will call them out on it.

You'r'e not disagreeing, dude. You're literally telling people who can or can't be in your personal f**king club. If you can't discern that obvious difference, the problem isn't them, it's you. And on that note, we're done. It was a tough loss, and I like you as a fan, but I've had enough of this punk act for the night. Downvote that. 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Not overreacting.  What you're doing is an under reaction.  And that's fine.  But it's Alice in Wonderland .

One problem with Miles philosophy, (which I generally am on board with, knowing we need to do things a little different here to be great) is that he is very uncomfortable coaching a bigger team.  At CSU when they were very good they has like a 6-7 post as their best rebounder.  Extremely small team.  That is a hard recipe to take on the road in the Big 10.  

3 minutes ago, tcp said:

In fairness, we did have one of these. It didn't end well...:) 

Still would like to find a way to mind meld Docs game coaching with Miles' recruiting. That would be something. 

Lol - I was thinking about that as I typed it. That was one of his several redeeming qualities.

Just now, nebrasketball10 said:

Is the improved recruiting all Miles? Top ten facilities? Combination of both?

He's a great pitch guy, really. Both have helped, but Miles is a really good salesman and deserves credit for that. And it's something we've needed. I think what's missing is that he might also be an incorrigible control freak, uncomfortable with giving power to anyone else. One thing that's bothered me over his tenure is the lack of player development in *leadership*. It's something most of his teams have lacked, or at least appear to have lacked. Again, this is a way outside observation so it's not worth very much. 

Just now, royalfan said:

Lets keep it level headed fellas.  Everyone is pissed.  Rightfully so.  Lets remember that we have the best message board around.  Let's be thankful for that.  

Well said. Easy to be salty right now. With that said, this truly is a fantastic board and so vastly superior in content and decorum to any other board I’ve frequented. 

I am critical of how this team is playing and the coaching.   I am a Husker Fan regardless.  We cannot keep saying that it’s life on the road in the B1G and accept that if we are the team we thought we could be.   I expect to see a team play with desperation in every game.  If guys aren’t producing play a reserve. 

5 minutes ago, tcp said:

You'r'e not disagreeing, dude. You're literally telling people who can or can't be in your personal f**king club. If you can't discern that obvious difference, the problem isn't them, it's you. And on that note, we're done. It was a tough loss, and I like you as a fan, but I've had enough of this punk act for the night. Downvote that. 

Look man.  You’re right, I bleed red.  More so than most.  And when someone gives up, it pisses me off.  Don’t get me wrong, I get pissed.  Do I say more than I should sometimes?  Probably.  But there’s one thing that I hate more than anything... and that’s giving up.  So if someone wants to give up, fine, but I will challenge them every day of the week.  Because true fans won’t give up.  I also think HB will come around.  Tomorrow’s a new day.