I think Michigan State is the best team I've seen at Nebraska since?

I can't think of a better team in the last 25 years that I've seen at a Nebraska home game. Probably the most complete team I've seen it you factor in a few of their missing parts like Ahrens and Langford. Michigan State had a lot of things go right to win that game. Our huskers are pretty darn good too. 

That Kansas team from Maric's senior year stands out in my brain.  We had a decent team, but I remember thinking that we could play KU 20 times and still never beat them.  They throttled us by 20 at home and then by some obscene margin in Lawrence.  Something like a 55 point margin of victory.  Just insane. 

While this year's MSU is good, I don't see them beating NIT-level schools by 55.  KU was on a completely higher level.

17 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Last years KU was better, Wisconsin that went to the Final Four was better, that was a nice MSU team but hardly anything to get all that jazzed about. If we would have shot 50% from the field we win...

Agree wholeheartedly.  This team is not as good as people making them out to be IMO.  

Their point guard is elite—probably the best college PG in the country.  That’s the difference between this MSU team and a lot of the other teams mentioned.  They haven’t had a PG that savvy since Cleaves.  

I actually didn’t think MSU played very well either.  They had a ton of completely  uncontested threes clang off.  But their team defense in transition and in the half court was a clinic.   

Darrell Arthur.  Mario Chalmers.  Sherron Collins.  Darnell Jackson.  Sasha Kaun.  Brady Morningstar.  Russell Robinson.  Brandon Rush.  Julian Wright.  

That '07 Kansas team had 3 NBA first rounders on it, and 7 total guys that played in the NBA.  Plus dudes like Robinson and Morningstar on top of that.  Anyone who thinks this year's MSU is better than '07 KU has some serious recency bias.

3 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Darrell Arthur.  Mario Chalmers.  Sherron Collins.  Darnell Jackson.  Sasha Kaun.  Brady Morningstar.  Russell Robinson.  Brandon Rush.  Julian Wright.  

That '07 Kansas team had 3 NBA first rounders on it, and 7 total guys that played in the NBA.  Plus dudes like Robinson and Morningstar on top of that.  Anyone who thinks this year's MSU is better than '07 KU has some serious recency bias.

That's a good one.  The thread title is "best team since..." so if that's your answer it's pretty high praise for this MSU team.  There have been a whole lot of really good teams to come through Lincoln in the last 12 years.

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Last years KU was better, Wisconsin that went to the Final Four was better, that was a nice MSU team but hardly anything to get all that jazzed about. If we would have shot 50% from the field we win...

I will not be surprised to see Michigan State in the final eight this year.   I think people underestimate the power of an excellent defensive team that can also score sufficiently.  Yes, we could have won if we shot better.  But at least in part, our shooting woes were tied to the quality of Michigan State's defense.  Obviously, the Michigan State defense travels well.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

That's a good one.  The thread title is "best team since..." so if that's your answer it's pretty high praise for this MSU team.  There have been a whole lot of really good teams to come through Lincoln in the last 12 years.

The first sentence of the first post is "I can't think of a better team in the last 25 years that I've seen at a Nebraska home game."  I find that statement extremely hyperbolic, and I haven't been a fan (or alive) nearly as long as most members of this message board.  '07 KU was the first that came to mind simply because of how resoundingly they embarrassed us, but there are many other teams we've played that were above this year's MSU.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will not be surprised to see Michigan State in the final eight this year.   I think people underestimate the power of an excellent defensive team that can also score sufficiently.  Yes, we could have won if we shot better.  But at least in part, our shooting woes were tied to the quality of Michigan State's defense.  Obviously, the Michigan State defense travels well.

They definitely played pretty good defense but we missed wide open threes and layups that usually go down. I know they were missing pieces but that's a team we can beat. 

Here’s an OBTW... that Michigan team we beat by 20 last year in Lincoln played for the National Title. Is this years MSU team better than that? Perhaps. Those Badger teams, and a number of Big XII teams other than Kansas. OU had some very good teams, Mizzou, Durant @ Texas. As someone above mentioned, don’t allow yerself to be too swayed by the here & now.

Edited by Handy Johnson

13 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

with langford, they are a legit top 15 team. but the team that we played in lincoln was barely a top 25 team, and we should have won. very frustrating loss.

nowhere near one of the best teams to play in lincoln. we played some extremely good kansas teams.

16-2, 7-0... fringe Top 25?  Really.  Come on man.  It seems like some on here are trying to make them “less good” in order to sound more frustrated.  Y’all are trying to downplay those who say they were good... only to “up-play” trying to make MSU sound like Iowa and Indiana in the same breath.  My goodness.

11 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

They definitely played pretty good defense but we missed wide open threes and layups that usually go down. I know they were missing pieces but that's a team we can beat. 

Oh...I do not disagree at all.  But the point I was attempting to make in a more subliminal way was that the Huskers are a very good team.  We have our flaws and areas of opportunity; but we are good enough to play and beat a top eight team.  I believe Michigan State has the ability to play into the top eight, yet we are able to stick with them.  What should that tell the public?

13 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I think what TimSmiles is referring to is the fact that two of their better players were unavailable. If they are available, Mich. State may be a final four team although I think Winston had an unusually strong game which will be difficult to replicate consistently.

I completely understand this take.  However, they’ve been able to continue winning against really solid teams, even on the road, without Langford.  That’s not a fringe Top 25 team.  I think their win over us was very very good.  My personal opinion is that we are more underrated than they are overrated right now.  Without Langford, that teams no where near bottom 25.  Maybe 10-15.  That’s a top 10 team, legit team, at full strength.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I completely understand this take.  However, they’ve been able to continue winning against really solid teams, even on the road, without Langford.  That’s not a fringe Top 25 team.  I think their win over us was very very good.  My personal opinion is that we are more underrated than they are overrated right now.  Without Langford, that teams no where near bottom 25.  Maybe 10-15.  That’s a top 10 team, legit team, at full strength.

This.  We’re going to be ranked in a few weeks and that win may end up being one of two or three resume boosters for MSU making a case for a 1 seed.  We’re underrated because the start of conference play was very difficult.  

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

How long has Langford and Ahrens been out?

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

16-2, 7-0... fringe Top 25?  Really.  Come on man.  It seems like some on here are trying to make them “less good” in order to sound more frustrated.  Y’all are trying to downplay those who say they were good... only to “up-play” trying to make MSU sound like Iowa and Indiana in the same breath.  My goodness.

It almost seems as if you think that team we played was at full strength.  It is incredibly strange.