Minnesota vs. Nebraska Game Thread ETC.

Bugeaters1

9 hours ago, longtimefan said:

First of all it was a nice win.  Here are my thoughts.

1. I guess I'll never understand the coaches thinking on playing time.  I agree with Simon not starting and getting less playing time.  I''m not sure about Mershon starting and getting as many minutes.  She has 22+ minutes with 2 points and 2 rebounds.  I like Veerbeek and feel she deserves much more playing time. She only got 16+ minutes of playing but had 6 points and 5 rebounds.  She is a threat to score anytime she gets her hands on the ball.  I can't say that about Mershon or Cain.  Cain had a whopping 0 rebounds and 4 points in 23+ minutes.  Haiby, our top scorer has 16 points and 3 rebounds in 19+ minutes.  And she gets a lot of her points on layups,  which no other player can say that. Why isn't she on the floor more?

Agree with most of your points in all of the post.

Not here to defend Mershon starting....but ask this question. How many mistakes, turnovers, etc does she make ? She was asked as a forward to replace another forward.  Does lots of different things at different times. Blocks a shot, scores, hustles, can shot 3's, gets a steal now and then, rebounds too, and can defend decently.....just solid play by a rookie freshman. 

Granted her stats in this game weren't outstanding...but you don't get nervous about when she's going to commit a turnover.

Edited by redsteve

I'm really curious why our non-freshman aren't productive in points and rebounds.  Nicea is the exception - she seems to grab rebounds, get some steals (or cause a steal by tipping a pass), and we know she can explode for points.  Whitish will just go cold for long spells, and she doesn't look comfortable handling the ball under pressure (Haiby gets the award for pressure ball handling skills).  We have to know teams are going to key on Kissinger so why aren't we adjusting to that?  And Cain, I just don't know.  She seems really slow and hesitant this year, and she doesn't seem to want to jump for a pass.  Something seems really off with her.  Maddie is streaky and maybe she's just pushing too hard, I don't know.  She made a huge mistake fouling the 3 point shooter yesterday.

The freshman make mistakes, too, but they are getting fewer and farther between.  And the hustle by the freshman + Nicea is unmatched by the rest of the team.  We are 18 games into the season, my patience isn't what it was at the beginning.  And I agree with the bizarre substitution patterns - Brown and Veerbeek were getting started and then they are put on the bench.  We would just get up by 4 points or so, and then we'd sub and suddenly we were down by 5.  Why not leave them in for a few minutes longer to build on that lead?  They didn't seem like they were winded and I thought I even saw a look on someone's face like "Why am I being subbed out?". 

I would just as soon start the game with our most aggressive players offensively and defensively and try to get a fast start, then sub out 1 or 2 at a time.  If Hannah or Kissinger are subbed in and are hot, then leave them in.  I think the only 2 players that haven't been scoring machines at some point are Mitchell and Mershon, so the rest are capable of going off for at least 10+ points in a game. 

Brown will play more when she is a better defender.  Right now she is our worst perimeter defender on close outs and remembering the scout — before anybody jumps me I posted a couple weeks ago if she works on her body she can play professionally. — Mershon starts cause she is always in the right spot defensively.   She does her job and doesn’t try to do too much.  And she doesn’t turn it over.  She basically had one mistake yesterday when she jacked a 3.  Her and Ashton need to cut there 3 ball attempts down about 75 percent. Yes they can make them occasionally but they aren’t early shot clock level 3 point shooters. —This board has become an embarrassment with people ripping kids trying their tales off.   We r so close to being very very good and we r so young still.   Going to suck if one of our good young kids leaves or we miss out in a good recruit and sets us back because somebody reads a board full of old fat guys bitching about 19 year old kids playing a really hard schedule who have lost a few close ones maybe they shouldn’t have. We are a point guard away from being a sweet 16 level team in 2 years if everybody stays healthy and nobody transfers.  

2 hours ago, kansashusker said:

Brown will play more when she is a better defender.  Right now she is our worst perimeter defender on close outs and remembering the scout — before anybody jumps me I posted a couple weeks ago if she works on her body she can play professionally. — Mershon starts cause she is always in the right spot defensively.   She does her job and doesn’t try to do too much.  And she doesn’t turn it over.  She basically had one mistake yesterday when she jacked a 3.  Her and Ashton need to cut there 3 ball attempts down about 75 percent. Yes they can make them occasionally but they aren’t early shot clock level 3 point shooters. —This board has become an embarrassment with people ripping kids trying their tales off.   We r so close to being very very good and we r so young still.   Going to suck if one of our good young kids leaves or we miss out in a good recruit and sets us back because somebody reads a board full of old fat guys bitching about 19 year old kids playing a really hard schedule who have lost a few close ones maybe they shouldn’t have. We are a point guard away from being a sweet 16 level team in 2 years if everybody stays healthy and nobody transfers.  

Still cannot believe our leading scorer gets 0 minutes in the 4th quarter 

4 hours ago, redsteve said:

Not here to defend Mershon starting....but ask this question. How many mistakes, turnovers, etc does she make ? She was asked as a forward to replace another forward.  Does lots of different things at different times. Blocks a shot, scores, hustles, can shot 3's, gets a steal now and then, rebounds too, and can defend decently.....just solid play by a rookie freshman. 

Granted her stats in this game weren't outstanding...but you don't get nervous about when she's going to commit a turnover.

I have said it before and I will say it again.  Mershon is at least as valuable as any of the other freshman.  Her analytics are very solid.  A lot of people wanted Hallie Sample benched early in her career also. Mershon made a extremely heady play in the middle of our run yesterday.

She definitely was a huge part of the comeback.  She kept them in the game in the 3rd qtr when they were on the ropes with some huge shots.   -- Kids are resilient.  She will be fine.  i am sure she is thrilled they won as a team, and i am sure she will do what most great competitors do which is work on their weaknesses so they get to play more.  She is a freshman, playing 17 min a gm or more on a bcs team with other good young players.  She is doing great.  Sometimes being a family member is way harder than being the actual player because we all get parent/family goggles because we love our kid.  EVERYBODY is good in college; the difference between being hs ranked 40th and 400th is a millimeter. You defend and rebound your way in to more minutes on every decent college team in america.  Leigha is having a fantastic year and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

16 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

See you made it home okay, My wife and I were run off of the road south of Doniphan. Had a vehicle going north in the south bound lanes.

Glad you are safe.  I actually stayed with a brother in Lincoln last night but nearly was in a head on North of Holdrege .   Looking forward to NW and hopefully decent weayand road conditions.

43 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So I'm listening to yesterdays radio broadcast of the Minny - Nebraska game. And with about a minute and a half to go in the second quater, rebound happened and Jeff  made the commented  that on a said rebound three Huskers were watching as the play.

I may be wrong but if I recall correctly, I got the impression during that play that the three Husker players were all thinking we'd snag the rebound and were expecting us to remain on offense; rather than hurrying back to get on D.

Reading through the thread, I wonder if it is not too easy for us as fans to forget in our disappointment with our lack of offense, that there's an equally motivated team determined to do everything in their power to Keep Us From Scoring.  Minnesota is (was) a ranked team with long, athletic players.  Just remember how they out-hustled us in the first three quarters (for which many of us, including myself :Redface:, criticized (only to apologize in the 4th Q) and the number of rebounds they got.

I'm not sure but what I think may have happened is that with Minnesota's over aggressiveness on defense (and the way the game was being called), Nicea found a way that she could exploit that aggression, and in a much needed display of upperclassman leadership said: "Not this Time" (those steals in the last few minutes were a thing of beauty and totally disrupted Minnesota's offense).  :Bow:

13 hours ago, kansashusker said:

You would think we lost the game with all the negative comments. 

Edited  by redsteve

No.  Think of her as Nicea as a freshman.  She is starting because of her defense and hustle. .  .  . and because Maddie has been ineffective.