Minnesota vs. Nebraska Game Thread ETC.

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

That was one of the loudest games I've witnessed and the crowd was on their feet the last 5 minutes and thanks to the Minnesota coach going to their stall ball and the Huskers switching to the 1-3-1 zone equals a win

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Had to watch it on TV, but it did sound like the crowd got into it down the stretch. 

I really have a hard time believing that our 6'5" starting center had 0 rebounds.

The winning stat line 2pts, 6 reb, 4 asst. and 6 steals.  Nicea comes up big with the hustle numbers.  Sam 16pts. all attacking vertically including the two that iced the game.  Great job Sam.

Taylor 3 of 5 for 9pts. including the game tying 3.  Leads the nation in 3pt shooting pct. we really need her shooting more.

Anyway my random thoughts on the game.

36 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Here is the box score form tonights game.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5481600.pdf

What I notice is Verbeek is a plus 16...way more than anyone else,....and yet she plays only about 16 min........huh ?

5 rebounds in 16+ min...the team is getting killed rebounding and she's sitting on the pines ???????

There were several cases of game management at times that were head scratchers

Edited by redsteve

11 hours ago, caveman said:

I really have a hard time believing that our 6'5" starting center had 0 rebounds.

The winning stat line 2pts, 6 reb, 4 asst. and 6 steals.  Nicea comes up big with the hustle numbers.  Sam 16pts. all attacking vertically including the two that iced the game.  Great job Sam.

Taylor 3 of 5 for 9pts. including the game tying 3.  Leads the nation in 3pt shooting pct. we really need her shooting more.

Anyway my random thoughts on the game.

Katy seems to be a really great kid...team mates really like her.

Do have to say...Last year....Cain was blocking at nearly 10 shots per game, and had 10 rebounds many games, and scored 10 pts /game.

Almost seems she's been asked to do so much new to her this year....she's lost her natural flow to game playing. Thinking too much and not just reacting and playing  ?? maybe ??

Really looks to be afraid she's going to foul out...which she has done some. Holding her back from rebounding?

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Could hear the crowd  (even over the TV coverage) in last part of game

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

That was one of the loudest games I've witnessed and the crowd was on their feet the last 5 minutes and thanks to the Minnesota coach going to their stall ball and the Huskers switching to the 1-3-1 zone equals a win

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just re-watched the last two quarters with the ESPN announcers on. :( It's virtually un-listenable; They act as if the game is merely background noise for their inane patter. Their commentary or analysis bears only casual relevancy to the action on the court. They make 'Student-U' look like pros.

Thank God for HSN with Matt Coatney & Jeff Greisch. :Bow:

Huskers Surge Past No. 23 Minnesota

Lincoln - Hannah Whitish and Taylor Kissinger combined for 19 points in the fourth quarter, while Nicea Eliely sparked the Huskers with five steals in the final period, as Nebraska stormed back from a nine-point deficit with less than eight minutes to play for a 63-57 women's basketball win over No. 23 Minnesota at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Sunday evening. 

Freshman Sam Haiby, a 5-9 guard from Moorhead, Minn., capped Nebraska's 25-11 fourth-quarter outburst with the game's final four points in the last 20 seconds to seal the win over the Golden Gophers. Haiby matched Minnesota's first-team All-Big Ten senior point guard Kenisha Bell for game-high scoring honors with 16.

Nebraska improved to 4-3 in the Big Ten and 9-9 overall with its first win over a top-25 opponent this season, while Minnesota slipped to 2-5 in the conference and 13-5 overall.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211787212

(Much more at the link)

Not so 'Nicea' Sparks 'No Quit' Huskers; Take down #23 Gophers:Happyrun:

Edited by Red Don

Timely threes and Nicea’s defending led to an improbable victory.   We were mangled on the boards and Bell was difficult to contain.  Freshmen kept us in the game and Kissinger and Whitish found their stroke in the 4th quarter.  A little win streak needs to continue against NW on Thursday.

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Timely threes and Nicea’s defending led to an improbable victory.   We were mangled on the boards and Bell was difficult to contain.  Freshmen kept us in the game and Kissinger and Whitish found their stroke in the 4th quarter.  A little win streak needs to continue against NW on Thursday.

See you made it home okay, My wife and I were run off of the road south of Doniphan. Had a vehicle going north in the south bound lanes.

First of all it was a nice win.  Here are my thoughts.

1. I guess I'll never understand the coaches thinking on playing time.  I agree with Simon not starting and getting less playing time.  I''m not sure about Mershon starting and getting as many minutes.  She has 22+ minutes with 2 points and 2 rebounds.  I like Veerbeek and feel she deserves much more playing time. She only got 16+ minutes of playing but had 6 points and 5 rebounds.  She is a threat to score anytime she gets her hands on the ball.  I can't say that about Mershon or Cain.  Cain had a whopping 0 rebounds and 4 points in 23+ minutes.  Haiby, our top scorer has 16 points and 3 rebounds in 19+ minutes.  And she gets a lot of her points on layups,  which no other player can say that. Why isn't she on the floor more?

2.  Somehow Kissinger has to get more shots. She may have the best 3 point shooting average but if you take only a few shots a game that's not good for the team.  Teams are playing her so tight that it seems the coach should set up some backdoor plays for her to loosen things up for her.

3. Brown has to be getting more playing time.  It just befuddles me when she scores a few points and then the coach takes her out.  Actually she did the same with Veerbeek.  I always thought if a player was feeling it and scoring you leave them in till they cool down or really need a rest.

4.  Lastly our rebounding is bad.  It seemed like every time Minn. shot they would get the offensive rebound and shoot again. Luckily they weren't shooting well tonight.  For some reason we don't seem to be able to grab the ball.  A lot of the time we are just outhustled. And this happens most every game.  I'm not sure how you're going to fix that.

Even though we won I think we could be a lot better team with the right people getting better playing time.

55 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

First of all it was a nice win.  Here are my thoughts.

1. I guess I'll never understand the coaches thinking on playing time.  I agree with Simon not starting and getting less playing time.  I''m not sure about Mershon starting and getting as many minutes.  She has 22+ minutes with 2 points and 2 rebounds.  I like Veerbeek and feel she deserves much more playing time. She only got 16+ minutes of playing but had 6 points and 5 rebounds.  She is a threat to score anytime she gets her hands on the ball.  I can't say that about Mershon or Cain.  Cain had a whopping 0 rebounds and 4 points in 23+ minutes.  Haiby, our top scorer has 16 points and 3 rebounds in 19+ minutes.  And she gets a lot of her points on layups,  which no other player can say that. Why isn't she on the floor more?

2.  Somehow Kissinger has to get more shots. She may have the best 3 point shooting average but if you take only a few shots a game that's not good for the team.  Teams are playing her so tight that it seems the coach should set up some backdoor plays for her to loosen things up for her.

3. Brown has to be getting more playing time.  It just befuddles me when she scores a few points and then the coach takes her out.  Actually she did the same with Veerbeek.  I always thought if a player was feeling it and scoring you leave them in till they cool down or really need a rest.

4.  Lastly our rebounding is bad.  It seemed like every time Minn. shot they would get the offensive rebound and shoot again. Luckily they weren't shooting well tonight.  For some reason we don't seem to be able to grab the ball.  A lot of the time we are just outhustled. And this happens most every game.  I'm not sure how you're going to fix that.

Even though we won I think we could be a lot better team with the right people getting better playing time.

4th point: we never really get out hustled in the 4th period.  We seem to not understand playing 4 quarters.  We'll get you later seems to be the mentality in the first 3.  What's worse is that starters play with too scared to make a mistake syndrome, or rather not playing to win, but playing not to lose.

1st point: I heard 3 years of the same with Haliegh Sample.  That being said I like Verbeek as well. To me she's got too much fight to keep her out of post scrum.

huskers: 15-18 ft's ? sweet

agree with some of the comments regarding substitutions. i understand coaches comments on how she needs everyone---but, there has been a few times i said to myself "why did you take her out?!?". i am sure all of you are aware of this, but, sports can be such a rhythm game. 

fans just wonder why take someone out when they have hit that rhythm? 

watched osu-michigan before husker game. i guess you could say michigan pulled out a "husker" win. played pretty lethargic for 3 quarters, then turned it up in the 4th quarter and pulled out a win. osu has been playing much better as the season has progressed. anyone else see the 3 pointer santoro(sp?) made with about a minute left? basketball never ceases to amaze. deep left corner and a very tough angle. banks it off the upper left hand corner of the backboard and it goes right through. i just thought she could never do that again in a thousand shots.

6 hours ago, caveman said:

4th point: we never really get out hustled in the 4th period.  We seem to not understand playing 4 quarters.  We'll get you later seems to be the mentality in the first 3.  What's worse is that starters play with too scared to make a mistake syndrome, or rather not playing to win, but playing not to lose.

1st point: I heard 3 years of the same with Haliegh Sample.  That being said I like Verbeek as well. To me she's got too much fight to keep her out of post scrum.

This a 100 times over.  They were sleepwalking for the first 37 minutes.  Standing around flat-footed as Minn. got almost all the loose balls and rebounds.  Many lazy passes again.

Fortunately for them, Minn. is not a very good team - I don't know who they played in the non-con to win 12 games, but there's no way in @#$% they're the 25th best team in the country.

9 hours ago, Red Don said:

I just re-watched the last two quarters with the ESPN announcers on. :( It's virtually un-listenable; They act as if the game is merely background noise for their inane patter. Their commentary or analysis bears only casual relevancy to the action on the court. They make 'Student-U' look like pros.

Thank God for HSN with Matt Coatney & Jeff Greisch. :Bow:

I lost count of how many times the color analyst boldly claimed that a Minnesota player got fouled but the refs didn't blow the whistle.

Now, to be honest, most of the time she was right.  There were a couple of badly missed calls.  However, she never once made a similar statement the many times NU got mugged with no whistle.  Blatant bias.  So surprising considering it was ESPN.