Minnesota vs. Nebraska Game Thread ETC.

Bugeaters1

Nebraska Cornhuskers
vs. 23/25 Minnesota Golden Gophers
Sunday, January 20, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)
Pinnacle Bank Arena (15,000) - Lincoln, Nebraska
Live Television: ESPN2
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (4:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln-B107.3 FM; Omaha-ESPN 590 AM
Huskers.com, Huskers App, TuneIn

From what i saw watching Min. play this year....think we'll win it. It's a home game. We must have someone step up for 15-20 points. Need the leadership of a scorer., to infect the rest of the team with offense. Taylor doesn't shot enough. 

We don't seem to have figured out how to use Cain effectively. Passing in from the perimeter doesn't fit her skill set. Possible solution: Drive into the lane and pass off to her.  She's usually deadly form inside the lane once she has the ball, but not real quick to make moves.

May sound dumb...she should have been red shirted.  But at 6-5 ...how do you let her ride the bench. But...another but...needs to have some one school her (and even the staff) on post play. Hire a tutor over the summer...what ever.

Edited by redsteve

I agree.

I wish we did more driving and dishing.  We usually, take it to the hoop, for the shot (with limited success).  Kate, is one of many, that would benefit. 

Maddie has always shot well from the lane.  Brown is deadly mid range. Can't think of a player that isn't effective from free throw line in.  Now, setting up those shots? 

That's why coach makes the big bucks.      

Would Minnesota have been ranked so soon if they had hired someone other than Whalen?  Seems that ESPN has quite the love affair with her as a player and a coach.  I get the love affair as a player, but until she gets her feet more wet and proves herself as a coach, I’ll temper my enthusiasm.  Not saying she won’t be a good coach, I just don’t think she’s there yet.  Like someone said, Minnie was a good team for the past few years - it’s not like she inherited a giant mess with single digit season wins.

31 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Silly Question but how is Minnesota ranked #23 (AP) & #25 (Coaches) with a 2-4 Conference Record.   Are they ready for a fall?   (in Lincoln :D)  :Cheer2:

Like stated earlier, ESPN and the Minnesota fan base seems to think Whalen the player = Whalen the coach. Minny gets a lot of love because of that.  People watching at home will be sick of the Whalen slobberfest by the end of the game.

Edited by Fastbreaker
Add text

37 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

Like stated earlier, ESPN and the Minnesota fan base seems to think Whalen the player = Whalen the coach. Minny gets a lot of love because of that.  People watching at home will be sick of the Whalen slobberfest by the end of the game.

And as stated before Can Whalen get Minny tured around. Sure the previous two coach did well, But Minny fans think Whalen is the end of all ends. kinda Scotty Frost with the Husker football team.

anyone else watch the minny-iowa game? the first half was kind of the minnesota i expected. good defense (except on gusty, but, not many shut her down anyway) and minny started hitting the 3's again. from what i read, minny hasn't shot the ball well recently. iowa made some adjustments and played a better second half and jumped on minny. 

minnesota's defense can give huskers some problems. most of them are pretty quick and can swarm the ball. they can get out and run with the ball, too. not going to be an easy game. pitt's has started hitting 3's again and bell can take over a game. bello can rebound a has been pretty decent around the basket. lamke has been having her moments at the post, too. minny just got done spanking wisconsin at madison. wont's surprise me to see a back and forth game.

Here is some information taken from the Game Page @ Huskers.com:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211786990

Nebraska is coming off a strong 77-67 road win at Illinois Thursday, while Minnesota completed a season series sweep with a a 78-50 win at Wisconsin. Minnesota lost to Illinois 66-62 in Minneapolis. The Gophers also lost to Michigan 76-60 in Ann Arbor three days after the Huskers ran to a 70-56 win over the Wolverines in Lincoln.

• Minnesota will be Nebraska’s fourth ranked opponent in the past five games. The Golden Gophers come to Lincoln at No. 23 in the AP Poll and No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, after climbing as high as No. 12 in the rankings after opening 12-0.

• Last week, the Huskers suffered home losses to current No. 9 Maryland and No. 20 Rutgers at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Big Red also suffered a narrow 77-71 road loss at current No. 22 Iowa, which rolled to an 81-63 win at Minnesota on Monday night.

• Minnesota will be Nebraska’s seventh opponent ranked in the top 25 this season (Drake, Miami, Louisville, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers). The Big Ten has six teams ranked in this week’s Associated Press Top 25 (No. 9 Maryland, No. 17 Michigan State, No. 20 Rutgers, No. 22 Iowa, No. 23 Minnesota and No. 25 Indiana).

Scouting The Minnesota Golden Gophers

• Head coach Lindsay Whalen brings her first Minnesota team to Lincoln trying to build momentum after snapping a four-game losing streak with a 78-50 win at Wisconsin on Thursday.

• Minnesota is led by first-team All-Big Ten senior point guard Kenisha Bell, who is averaging 19.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.2 steals. Bell is shooting just 25 percent (7-28) from three-point range and 68.9 percent at the free throw line.

• Junior guard Jasmine Brunson has hit 11-of-30 threes (.367) on the year. Brunson is averaging 8.0 points, 2.2 rebounds and 3.0 assists on the season.

• Sophomore guard/forward Destiny Pitts leads Minnesota with 34 threes on the year but has knocked down just 30.9 percent (34-110) of her long-range attempts. Pitts ranks second among the Gophers with 12.6 points per game, while adding 3.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

• Minnesota’s inside starters are Annalese Lamke and Taiye Bello. Lamke, a 6-3 senior center, is averaging 11.4 points and 6.0 rebounds while shooting 56.2 percent from the field. Bello, a 6-2 junior forward, averages double figures with 10.8 points and a team-best 12.1 rebounds. Bello has hit 56.1 percent of her shots and leads the Gophers with 22 blocks on the year.

• As a team, Minnesota is shooting 30.3 percent (73-241) from beyond the three-point arc, including just 25.9 percent (21-81) through six Big Ten games.