uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 18 - Michigan State

uneblinstu

9 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I think we had about four 3-pointers go in and out, not to mention the 2-pointers that rolled around the rim but wouldn't drop.

Definitely.  A couple of those fall and it's probably a different outcome.  Also had a couple of 3's that were completely undefended that were not even close to going in.  Got to make those...like Ward did.

Toward the end of the game, however, most of the shots were short.  I realize they were generally deep 3's, but that's a sign of tired legs.  I don't know if that's just a 1 game thing because of the effort expended or a sign of weariness from the starters having to play so many minutes every game.  They could really use a couple of games where they can get a double-digit lead for a period to allow some of the bench guys to eat some minutes.

Watching on tv it looked like we had the pumped up crowd we needed. However, enough people must have started leaving before our last little gasp that Raftery mentioned the game wasn't out of reach yet. Was there much of the mass exodus of previous years, or was he just overanalyzing? 

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

One word for my feelings after watching:  proud.  

We showed up and fought to the end.  There have been more top heavy MSU teams talent wise to come through here, but man... that group plays unbelievably well together.  They’re my pick for the NC straight up, and they have the best coach in the country.  

For perspective:  that’s only the second conference game anyone has stayed within single digits of MSU, and closest game they’ve had so far.  They’ve been beating the piss out of everyone.  We out rebounded them and had less turnovers.  We were tough all night.  Hard for me to complain about that.  

Like I said somewhere else: We were missing good, open looks that we normally hit. Make just a few of those and we win.

Bottom line is we just had an off night shooting the ball. We were their equal otherwise.

10 hours ago, hal9000 said:

So why didn't they put any time back on the clock after Palmer's three at the end?  10 seconds ticked off while the ball rolled off to the side before the ref casually picked it up and tossed to an MSU player.  

Time wasn't going to be added back.  It is the referee's judgment if and when to stop the clock in that situation.  They chose to let time run off.  They were probably slightly confused, thinking the game was over since so many fans were clogging the aisles attempting to leave early. In fact, I was literally praying we would win, just to show fans leaving early that in basketball, it isn't over until it is over.  Oops, sorry for that last little rant.

I thought that Michigan State's defense made our shots a just a little further out than usual...being aggressive on defense forced 22 footers into 23 footers...those little differences changes things.

I also thought that State's help defense especially on Palmer drives was was unbelievably great....Palmer would blow by his primary defender and run right into a wall of defensive help.

This needs to be said as well; tons of credit to Michigan State.  They played tough ass, physical defense and made it difficult for our Huskers all night.  If Izzo didn't see a player giving 100%, they were taken out of the game, and usually dressed down on the sideline.  We play excellent defense, but so does MSU.  Great effort by both teams.  Winston is an all-american in my eyes.

Isaiah and Tanner both got into foul trouble.  I thought Isaiah's first foul was a phantom foul.  With the physical nature of the play, I thought that call was weak at best.  But the next three fouls on Isaiah, he did commit the foul.  That said, they were weak, touchy-feeley, unfortunate and cannot happen.  Tanner's fouls were physical fouls that are going to occur.  Going back to Isaiah, this has been discussed often; but you know, the kid's strength is his length and quickness.  He certainly does not have the bulk and overall strength that Ward carries.  So where Ward can get away with the physical play, Isaiah is not getting away with leveraging his strengths.  It torks me off, but what are you going to do about it...

10 hours ago, hal9000 said:

So why didn't they put any time back on the clock after Palmer's three at the end?  10 seconds ticked off while the ball rolled off to the side before the ref casually picked it up and tossed to an MSU player.  

My issue with this was that there should've been a 5 second violation called. The basket was made with over a minute left but there was 50.9 seconds left when MSU called timeout. I looked up and saw that MSU player had grabbed the ball with at least 57 seconds. I realize there is delay for clock to stop but over 10 seconds was allowed to run off the clock.

In the end it didn't make a difference. The poor shooting effort was the difference as many have already stated.  

This loss sucks, but I am by no means concerned about this team making the NCAA. 
My reaction:
1. Mi St is an elite defensive team. They do a lot of the little things that result in missed shots.
2. McQuaid is a lock down defender. Best defensive effort against JPJ I've seen this season.
3. Mi St values the ball. They make you work on defense and they don't force shots.
4. We will see them again along with Mich on the road. Every other game is very winnable.
5. Crowd was good, but no where near the level of no sit Sunday or Mich @home last season.
6. Winston is the best PG I've seen this season. He's definitely in the top 3 in the nation.
7. We missed a number of chances to pass the ball to open players when Mi St over extended their defense or had a lapse.
8. We need to recognize, in a game like this, to value the ball and possessions. This is my biggest concern.
9. Did a good job of both rebounding and at the line. 1-3-1 defense looked good.
10. I like Miles post games comments about not taking any moral victories and being upset about this loss.

11 hours ago, throwback said:

The clock doesn't stop after a made basket unless it occurs under 1:00. So if it occurs at 1:00.1, like this one did, the clock runs. If it occurs at 0:59.9, it stops.

They got it right

DxM9j41U0AEhUqX.jpg:large

The ref was a little casual about getting the ball back to MSU but if he hurried it would have been 2 seconds instead of 4. Then Goins either purposefully or unintentionally made a heads up play by not getting the ball in and letting the clock run another 4 seconds before calling time out.

14 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

They got it right

DxM9j41U0AEhUqX.jpg:large

The ref was a little casual about getting the ball back to MSU but if he hurried it would have been 2 seconds instead of 4. Then Goins either purposefully or unintentionally made a heads up play by not getting the ball in and letting the clock run another 4 seconds before calling time out.

There should be no complaints about the clock running.  We should have called time out after hitting that shot.

42 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

2. McQuaid is a lock down defender. Best defensive effort against JPJ I've seen this season.

I really thought Palmer should have been able to dominate this matchup so maybe you are right and he is a great defender.  I feel like the last 3 minutes he was a lot more aggressive and would have liked to see more of that earlier in game. 

I am not sure how to feel about this game.  Michigan St. is pretty good(not as good as most want to believe).  They played a good game.  A Smart game.  They seemed to make big shots at big times.  I feel like we would win this game about 70 percent of the time if it were played several times.  Unfortunately, this was not one of them and it hurts bad.  We had a hell of a shot at a 3 or 4 seed with a win.  We have got to get as far away from that 8-9 line as possible and this was a missed chance to do that.  

19 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I really thought Palmer should have been able to dominate this matchup so maybe you are right and he is a great defender.  I feel like the last 3 minutes he was a lot more aggressive and would have liked to see more of that earlier in game. 

I wish I could watch the full game over, but you're right (and Norm alluded to this too) it seemed in the last couple minutes McQuaid couldn't guard Palmer, and I'm wondering what the difference was with the previous 38 minutes.  If I had to guess it was that we had to push after a made free throw or rebound and Palmer had a head of steam going towards the basket and MSU wasn't as set as they would be when we walk it up.  Could we have tried this tactic a little more often during the game?  Palmer just couldn't get anything going in the half set last night. 

Edited by hal9000

3 hours ago, royalfan said:

I am not sure how to feel about this game.  Michigan St. is pretty good(not as good as most want to believe).  They played a good game.  A Smart game.  They seemed to make big shots at big times.  I feel like we would win this game about 70 percent of the time if it were played several times.  Unfortunately, this was not one of them and it hurts bad.  We had a hell of a shot at a 3 or 4 seed with a win.  We have got to get as far away from that 8-9 line as possible and this was a missed chance to do that.  

I guess I am not understanding your point Royal that Michigan State is simply pretty good and not as good as most want to believe.  Perhaps most of the coaches and media across the nation are way off, but they have them rated #6 in the country.  So only five teams are arguably better.  If that is just being pretty good, then I want Nebraska basketball and football to be pretty good.

3 hours ago, hal9000 said:

I wish I could watch the full game over, but you're right (and Norm alluded to this too) it seemed in the last couple minutes McQuaid couldn't guard Palmer, and I'm wondering what the difference was with the previous 38 minutes.  If I had to guess it was that we had to push after a made free throw or rebound and Palmer had a head of steam going towards the basket and MSU wasn't as set as they would be when we walk it up.  Could we have tried this tactic a little more often during the game?  Palmer just couldn't get anything going in the half set last night. 

His normal feel for the kiss off the glass just wasn't as sharp last night.  I think Miles said in his post game that we were 12 of 26 at the rim.  That pretty well sucks.

Early in the game, the refs called a 50/50 play, a player control foul against James.  James also had a couple moves to the basket thwarted by a defense that clearly sagged to the middle.  So I believe James lost his want/desire/confidence to take it to the rim.  In the last two minutes, Michigan State stayed wide in order to take away the three-pointer, and that helped clear the path to the basket.  Plus, after McQuade wasn't given the calls (he was flopping) then James seemed to flow more easily to the rim.

4 hours ago, 49r said:

There should be no complaints about the clock running.  We should have called time out after hitting that shot.

There should be complaints about the rule however.  It is asinine that it doesn't stop at 1 minute(or possiby 59 seconds) if a ball goes through over that time.  There should never be 8 seconds less of gametime left when a ball goes through at one minute than 59 seconds.  

32 minutes ago, royalfan said:

There should be complaints about the rule however.  It is asinine that it doesn't stop at 1 minute(or possiby 59 seconds) if a ball goes through over that time.  There should never be 8 seconds less of gametime left when a ball goes through at one minute than 59 seconds.  

But when should it stop?

If the rule is that the clock stops when a basket is made when the clock reads 0:59.9 and after, then if the ball goes through the hoop at 1:00.0 it should keep running.

If we were Michigan State fans debating it, we would be satisfied that the clock ran exactly according to the rules and it is fine.  Just because a rule didn't work in our favor on one (pretty rare) occasion doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad rule.

I personally don't see any reason for us to complain.  Like I said before if we really wanted to stop the clock we needed to call the time out.

Edited by 49r

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

But when should it stop?

If the rule is that the clock stops when a basket is made when the clock reads 0:59.9 and after, then if the ball goes through the hoop at 1:00.0 it should keep running.

If we were Michigan State fans debating it, we would be satisfied that the clock ran exactly according to the rules and it is fine.  Just because a rule didn't work in our favor on one (pretty rare) occasion doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad rule.

I personally don't see any reason for us to complain.  Like I said before if we really wanted to stop the clock we needed to call the time out.

I guess the answer is that if a basket is made in the second half at 1:06, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03, 1:02, 1:01 or even 1:00, that it ticks down to 59.9 and stops unless the ball has been inbounded before then, but doesn't require a whistle to stop play. The clock resumes when the ball is touched in bounds. In that case last night, MSU could have screwed around all they wanted until the ref started his count, and it wouldn't have cost Nebraska nearly 10 seconds of game time.

Edited by jayschool

1 minute ago, jayschool said:

I guess the answer is that if a basket is made in the second half at 1:06, 1:05, 1:04, 1:03, 1:02, 1:01 or even 1:00, that it ticks down to 59.9, then stops, but doesn't require a whistle to stop play. The clock resumes when the ball is touched in bounds. In that case last night, MSU could have screwed around all they wanted until the ref started his count, and it wouldn't have cost Nebraska nearly 10 seconds of game time.

That would seem to solve the issue. I was watching the ISU/T-Tech the night before and same happened to Tech as they were trying to comeback.