+/- Stats

rand909

I've wondered if we could document who should be on the floor.  I have compared the +/- stats for each B1G game (except Iowa - I can't find the stats for that game).  Now, we know that you can't look at +/- stats for only one game.  They would depend on who was on the floor with a player, who the other team had on the floor, who was hot or cold, who was in foul trouble, etc.  However, after 4 games they are beginning to show some consistency.  You be the judge:

2019 Stats            

Michigan Ohio State Iowa Maryland Rutgers Total
Simon   -3 -7   -3 -5 -18
Cain   14 -12   -3 -11 -12
Whitish   5 8   -17 -9 -13
Eliely   22 10   -14 -8 10
Kissinger   2 -8   0 -4 -10
Mitchell         -16 -4 -20
Mershon   14 18   -18 1 15
Haiby   11 6   -16 -2 -1
Brown   2 11   -5 5 13
Veerbeek 3 19   2 7

I will be upfront and say I haven't seen very many games.  But I have noticed in a couple that Eliely gets going in the 4th quarter.  Is there any correlation to how many of our newcomers are on the floor when she catches fire?  Just curious.

I notice in the above stats that the only player without a negative is Veerbeek.  And I've wondered for a while if Eliely, Haiby, Brown, and Veerbeek should start.

3 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I will be upfront and say I haven't seen very many games.  But I have noticed in a couple that Eliely gets going in the 4th quarter.  Is there any correlation to how many of our newcomers are on the floor when she catches fire?  Just curious.

I notice in the above stats that the only player without a negative is Veerbeek.  And I've wondered for a while if Eliely, Haiby, Brown, and Veerbeek should start.

How come nobody gives Mershon any love.  She is the most fundamentally sound of the freshman, actually knows how to box out and very seldom makes mistakes. I know she does not score much and as such isn't noticed.  Think Hallie Sample.

30 minutes ago, rand909 said:

Thought I would chart minutes on the court vs. the players' +/-.  Thoughts?

Wow.  I knew it would be interesting but it really does show who is doing well with their minutes in conference play which are the only stats that I follow.

35 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

How come nobody gives Mershon any love.  She is the most fundamentally sound of the freshman, actually knows how to box out and very seldom makes mistakes. I know she does not score much and as such isn't noticed.  Think Hallie Sample.

I have always liked her especially after seeing one of her high school games which showed me she has great fundamentals and hustle with an unselfish attitude. My wife and I talked to her after her game and she came across as a first class Young Lady as well.  Just watch some of her past games to see the many contributions she makes that don't hit the stat sheet.

21 minutes ago, HUD said:

I have always liked her especially after seeing one of her high school games which showed me she has great fundamentals and hustle with an unselfish attitude. My wife and I talked to her after her game and she came across as a first class Young Lady as well.  Just watch some of her past games to see the many contributions she makes that don't hit the stat sheet.

Been bragging about Mershon for several weeks. It took a few games for her to get the feet on the ground, but boom...she's began developing quickly, and..undoubtedly...she will continue to improve in all areas. And saying it again ...really is pretty athletic for her 6-3 size.

Think she'll be a much better offensive player than Sample. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

Didn’t mean to leave her out.  I haven’t seen her play but based off the stats and what others on this board are saying, she deserves a shot at starting.