Ebb and Flow

Huskerpapa

We won...we are hyped, we are the best, we are going to the sweet 16.  Let's start planning the parade!

We lost...we suck, Miles has to go, we must have chemistry issues, we have no depth, we have no offensive plan!  Oh, oh, Kearney is going to appear again...

Reality, panic, ecstasy, the sky is falling, we may get seeded in Des Moines, I can't wait to go to the forum and post, I fear going to the forum and read the doom and gloom...

True fan, band wagon jumper, Jayskers, fans leaving early, fans sit on the hands, students have no clue, we are the best venue in the conference...

Ahhh, life of a Husker basketball fan.  In my humble opinion, we are a program on the rise.  This is a good team; we are going to have great games, good games, and not so good games.  In my humble opinion we are going to have some exceptional wins this year.  We are going to win games we should win, even if we are not at our best; and we likely will endure another loss or two or three that we should have/could have, but won't win.  And yes, it will upset us.

So there you have it.  Opinions, thoughts, further analysis?

14 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We won...we are hyped, we are the best, we are going to the sweet 16.  Let's start planning the parade!

We lost...we suck, Miles has to go, we must have chemistry issues, we have no depth, we have no offensive plan!  Oh, oh, Kearney is going to appear again...

Reality, panic, ecstasy, the sky is falling, we may get seeded in Des Moines, I can't wait to go to the forum and post, I fear going to the forum and read the doom and gloom...

True fan, band wagon jumper, Jayskers, fans leaving early, fans sit on the hands, students have no clue, we are the best venue in the conference...

Ahhh, life of a Husker basketball fan.  In my humble opinion, we are a program on the rise.  This is a good team; we are going to have great games, good games, and not so good games.  In my humble opinion we are going to have some exceptional wins this year.  We are going to win games we should win, even if we are not at our best; and we likely will endure another loss or two or three that we should have/could have, but won't win.  And yes, it will upset us.

I am confident that we will probably lose 3-4+ more games this year, will probably have a losing streak of at least 2 again this year, and everything that you just typed will occur again at least one more time.

If we don't lose 3-4+ more games, we are looking at a protected seed.

28 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I think sometimes we think we are unique (and we are in our own ways) but reality is you described pretty much every fan base when it comes to overreacting. Sports have that effect - with my family and my job I’m calm and even all week - every week. I need a place to be emotional and irrational!

40 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

So your'e feed up with the drool? But isn't that what fans do? You have to have some fun during the season as it gets to be a grind.

I think a lot of it has to do with the "instant gratification" world we live in. With computers and especially smartphones we have access to news, sports, weather and whatever else you want right at your fingertips. And people expect similar results from their sports teams. 

We can also rant and condemn, we can be obnoxious or caustic all in real time and basically incognito.  Most believe they are experts, but if placed in the heat of battle would slide into a fetal position with their thumb stuck in a body orifice.  Or, one can claim they are a fan, but in reality is an individual who likes nothing more than to stir a toxic pot of crapola just for thrills and giggles.

Also we tend to be a bit of a family here.. Or like we all are at the neighborhood bar where we can talk about this.

I think this is why things are mostly friendly here and we tend to learn each other's "personalities" here.

That is why I love this place, it is mostly a safe place to give your own opinion without getting trashed and we kind of know every bodies voice also.

As a long time Mpls resident, Gopher fans have a wildly inflated view of their program. Some cling to the McHale/Thompson days, others the Final Four run (cheating on a GRAND scale) so when Tubby got hired they thought, Final Four “blue blood” pedigree. What they got was a losing conference record every year regardless of the NCAAs. So their solution? Hire the son of the Coach who handed Tubby a Title team at Kentucky. Welcome to Gopher sports in a nutshell...

10 hours ago, 49r said:

We ran Danny Nee off because his 5 NCAA Tournaments and 4 NITs (and 7 20 win seasons) in 13 years weren't good enough.

I think him being a tremendous A-hole at times had something to do with this. I'd argue that Nebraska historically has had a long rope with basketball coaches and most coaches in general. 

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I think him being a tremendous A-hole at times had something to do with this. I'd argue that Nebraska historically has had a long rope with basketball coaches and most coaches in general. 

In Danny's 14 years - the longest tenure of a major conference coach, since the expansion of the NCAA tournament to 64 teams, who did not win an NCAA tournament team - Nebraska won 57.2% of their games overall (254-190), 43.1% of regular season conference games (88-116), and finished below .500 in conference seven times, with 5 NCAA tournament appearances.

In the previous 14 years under Moe & Joe, Nebraska won 57.9% of their games overall (231-168), 53.1% of conference games (104-92), finished below .500 in conference twice, with 1 NCAA tournament appearance.  With a 64 team tournament, though, they'd have likely been in the tournament in 1976, 1978, and possibly in 1980, 1983, and 1984.

In the next 14 years after Danny, it was a 51.5% overall winning percentage (224-211), 37.3% conference winning percentage (86-114), finishing below .500 in conference 12 times, and 1 NCAA tournament appearance.

Danny had some great years, as well as some bad ones, but overall didn't elevate the program to a new level (largely due to the conference competition that just kept getting better).  However after getting rid of him with no good plan in place to replace him was obviously a mess.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Fran's kid just scored 35 last night for Iowa City West against Waterloo East, so Fran's good for at least another week or two. Unless he assaults a ref tonight in State College, of course.

Of he goes FranCon 10 on a B1G ref, I hope we're all man enough to donate generously to his bail fund. #GoFundFran

there's really no point in criticizing miles this season. he's either going to get us to the tourney or he'll be gone. what good does it do to talk bad about him?

everyone should be supporting him to the fullest, but it's probably time to start over if he can't take a team with this much talent to the tournament.

Edited by TimSmiles

30 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

13-4, 3-3 and we talking about missing tournaments?  What!!

More importantly, we're #10 in NET.

With 14 regular season games left against the quality of competition we have on our schedule we'd have to go like 4-10 to even get into the bubble conversation, let alone be left out.  Remember, 4-10 is exactly what Oklahoma did to finish the regular season last year and they still got in.

We're so in the tournament right now people don't even know...

28 minutes ago, 49r said:

More importantly, we're #10 in NET.

With 14 regular season games left against the quality of competition we have on our schedule we'd have to go like 4-10 to even get into the bubble conversation, let alone be left out.  Remember, 4-10 is exactly what Oklahoma did to finish the regular season last year and they still got in.

We're so in the tournament right now people don't even know...

Yes, assuming of course that this committee does it the same way, which is unknown.