Plus-Minus of Nebraska at Indiana

AuroranHusker

Noticed that all but one Nebrasketball Husker had a positive +/- rating tonight and it was little used Brady Heiman (1 foul only stat in his 1 min of game action).

Meanwhile, Indiana had all but one Hoosier with a negative +/- rating and it was little used Clifton Moore (5 pts on 2-2 shooting in his 5 min of game action).

That. Is. Total. Domination.

B1G. Ballers.

Edited by AuroranHusker

Good observation.  If you did not watch the game, the observation would show total domination.  As we were watching the game, we all got antsy when Indiana made their run towards the end of the first half, and again, early in the second half.  But really, we always seemed in control sans the 5 minute scoring slump.

I guess my point is that good teams will make runs, better teams know how to react to their runs.  Last night we were the better team.  We now have to learn to win the close games.  Think about it, we have lost four games.  We could have and perhaps should have won each of those games.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Good observation.  If you did not watch the game, the observation would show total domination.  As we were watching the game, we all got antsy when Indiana made their run towards the end of the first half, and again, early in the second half.  But really, we always seemed in control sans the 5 minute scoring slump.

I guess my point is that good teams will make runs, better teams know how to react to their runs.  Last night we were the better team.  We now have to learn to win the close games.  Think about it, we have lost four games.  We could have and perhaps should have won each of those games.

Yeah, that scoring slump would be a bit concerning, if NU's D hadn't stepped up. And those two B1G buckets at the end of the 1st half by Cope & JPJ were HUGE to lift Nebrasketball and decimate Indiana. Hoops' momentum is an amazing cog of the game. And, yes, the early portions of the 2nd half were similar. What I'd like to know: if refs called a game fairly, that is, how Romeo goes to the line 11x and JPJ 'zilch'?! That's amazing.........ly craptastic.

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

What I'd like to know: if refs called a game fairly, that is, how Romeo goes to the line 11x and JPJ 'zilch'?! That's amazing.........ly craptastic.

I was OK with JPJ not getting any calls. Multiple times he took the ball 1-on-4 to the rim...refs typically don’t reward that decision since it looks like your goal is to get a bailout whistle rather than to actually make a basketball play.  Romeo didn’t do that IIRC.

That being said, Romeo did get a ridiculous And1 call where replays showed Borchardt didn’t even touch him. It was a total anticipation whistle. And Roby’s (second?) foul when he got shoved in the back was ludicrous; not sure how that doesn’t go against the offensive player. 

So yeah, officiating was bad but I don’t think the specific aspect you’re complaining about was all that agregious. 

2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I was OK with JPJ not getting any calls. Multiple times he took the ball 1-on-4 to the rim...refs typically don’t reward that decision since it looks like your goal is to get a bailout whistle rather than to actually make a basketball play.  Romeo didn’t do that IIRC.

That being said, Romeo did get a ridiculous And1 call where replays showed Borchardt didn’t even touch him. It was a total anticipation whistle. And Roby’s (second?) foul when he got shoved in the back was ludicrous; not sure how that doesn’t go against the offensive player. 

So yeah, officiating was bad but I don’t think the specific aspect you’re complaining about was all that agregious. 

Yeah, I hear ya; JPJ has been baiting refs for a while... to no avail. Like you said, probably right, but still... zero FTs is a bit egregious, nonetheless.

And I am specifically remembering at least twice where there was no one touching precious Romeo, oh Romeo. One was Borchardt. Can't recall the other instance, maybe it was Roby, who always seems to draw ridiculous calls against him!

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, I hear ya; JPJ has been baiting refs for a while... to no avail. Like you said, probably right, but still... zero FTs is a bit egregious, nonetheless.

And I am specifically remembering at least twice where there was no one touching precious Romeo, oh Romeo. One was Borchardt. Can't recall the other instance, maybe it was Roby, who always seems to draw ridiculous calls against him!

If the game is over and Palmer hasn't been sent to the line once, then the officials have definitely missed some calls.

Palmer only has had one other game this year he didn't attempt a FT, after playing 23 min vs Missouri St, where he only attempted 2 2-pt shots.

Last night, he played 35 minutes and attempted 8 2-pt shots with no FTs. Plus he tied a season high in rebounds with 9, so he was mixing it up more underneath than usual.

Last season, he had one game with no FTs and played only 21 min in that one.

So he's attempted at least one FT in 47 of 50 games with NU. And even going back to Miami, every game he's played more than 25 minutes, he's had a FT attempt.

Last night was a significant outlier.

Edited by throwback

7 minutes ago, throwback said:

Palmer only has had one other game this year he didn't attempt a FT, after playing 23 min vs Missouri St, where he only attempted 2 2-pt shots.

Last night, he played 35 minutes and attempted 8 2-pt shots with no FTs. Plus he tied a season high in rebounds with 9, so he was mixing it up more underneath than usual.

Last season, he had one game with no FTs and played only 21 min in that one.

So he's attempted at least one FT in 47 of 50 games with NU. And even going back to Miami, every game he's played more than 25 minutes, he's had a FT attempt.

Last night was a significant outlier.

Nice job, @throwback!

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Two of our losses were solid. We were largely dominated by both Tech and Iowa. Granted, vs Tech we had that monster lead that changed on that wretched referee orgy. Still, we never recovered and they comfortably owned the rest of the game. Iowa led basically wire to wire. 

Maryland we lost on a last second shot, but at least that game was a see saw, so it's a valid loss. 

Minnesota, to me, is the only genuine giveaway loss. We led most of the game, mostly by a cozy margin, and then just folded at the end like a cheap suit. That's the only bad loss we have, I think, where you can say we should have won. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:19 PM, tcp said:

Two of our losses were solid. We were largely dominated by both Tech and Iowa. Granted, vs Tech we had that monster lead that changed on that wretched referee orgy. Still, we never recovered and they comfortably owned the rest of the game. Iowa led basically wire to wire. 

Maryland we lost on a last second shot, but at least that game was a see saw, so it's a valid loss. 

Minnesota, to me, is the only genuine giveaway loss. We led most of the game, mostly by a cozy margin, and then just folded at the end like a cheap suit. That's the only bad loss we have, I think, where you can say we should have won. 

And, it's Minny & Rutgers (now). Iowa didn't have any type of insurmountable lead like Tech had in K.C. Mary landed a knock-out blow with 3 sec left in a tie game. We'll see how these next 2 home games go ! GBR !!!

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And, it's Minny & Rutgers (now). Iowa didn't have any type of insurmountable lead like Tech had in K.C. Mary landed a knock-out blow with 3 sec left in a tie game. We'll see how these next 2 home games go ! GBR !!!

Yes, we will. Our margin for error is just about used up now. We make a run or plan for a very stressful selection show, and that assumes we don't tailspin completely. 

43 minutes ago, tcp said:

Yes, we will. Our margin for error is just about used up now. We make a run or plan for a very stressful selection show, and that assumes we don't tailspin completely. 

These next two ballgames are critical to NU's chances at NCAA's being a legit reality, in my book. Gotta get back to 5-5 in the B1G, quick & in a hurry !! GBR !!!