Rutgers?

Merlin

10 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

hate to say this, but, i get so nervous with the ball in hannah's hands. she just isn't progressing, imo. 

Who knows what is going on in her off the court life. there could be a lot factors as to why she isn't playing well. some of it I think is she has lost confidence in her shot and it is affecting the rest of her game. Look at Glynn Watson last year, he had his worst season as a Husker. And now this year he is back to almost his normal self.

Edited by Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Rutgers athletics = thug life

Upper classman = liability when no freshman in

A+ for not putting up with their crap. 

So dang close to a win!!!

Maddie = 10 minutes at most on most nights

Brown should be 30+ minutes a game

Maddie played 9 today. Rutgers had 5 transfer playing today as well.

Here's my thoughts after watching this game.  I think the coach needs to change the starting lineup for the good of the team.  4 of the starters need to start coming off the bench.  Start the 4 freshmen and Kissinger.  The 5 starters today scored a whopping total of 22 points. While the 4 freshmen scored 34 points.  The starters just aren''t getting it done.  They've had half a season to prove themselves and they are continuously not playing well.  

Leigha Brown definitely deserves to start. Better than anyone, she can create a good shot almost any time. Sam Haiby would be our next best.  Brown also has a way of creating fouls and getting us into the bonus on free throws.  I would play her until she is tired and takes herself out.

Sam Haiby needs to be on the floor a lot more than Hannah Whitish.  Whitish is just too slow and can't create a decent shot. She is strictly a 3 point shooter and not really that great. I would say that almost every game I've seen, Hannah will have the ball taken away from her with the other team getting a layup or layups. Also Whitish should not have the ball when were taking the last shot. Haiby or Brown should.

For whatever reason, Kate Cain was better last year.  This year she looks likes she's playing in slow motion. She may be 6'5" but she can't jump off the floor to get rebounds. Too many times shorter and faster players will outjump or outscrap  her for the rebound.  Unfortunately she doesn't have any effective post moves around the basket either.  I also think we should stop trying to force passes or lobs into her because she either mishandles the pass, the defensive player intercepts it, the pass is just too far and goes out of bounds or if Kate catches it, there is only a 50% chance she catches it and scores.  It's also hard to believe that after 16 games I think she's only taken 11 free throws.  Also the inbounds pass under our basket to her  has to stop. We lose the ball more times than she catches it.

Ashtyn Veerbeek, although not real tall at leat has some offensive moves around the basket.  She can shoot 3's and is always getting fouled. She deserves to start.  Even Kayla Mershon gives you more than Cain is giving us now.

Nicea Eliely it seems only shows up to play in the 4th quarter.  I may be wrong but it seemed like the first shot she took was in the 4th quarter. She has to give us 4 quarters of wanting to score. 

Maddie Simon's playing time has decreased and deservedly so.  Being a senior she has gone  backwards.

Taylor Kissinger has to find a way to get open on the 3 point line.  I know she tries to drive to the basket at times but her ball handling skills aren't the best and limits what she can do.

Last year I was totally surprised that we won so many games with the team we had.  It seemed like we always stayed close with every team we played and had things almost always go our way towards the end of the game.  This year again we are staying relatively close despite all our mistakes but in the end we don't make the plays to win. We miss shots, have silly turnovers, fail to get crucial defensive rebounds and miss crucial free throws.  I don't know if things will turn around but I personally would like to see a new starting line up to see what happens.

At Illinois up next- dare I say this is a "winnable game"?  Got to find a way to get that one however we do it, get back to .500.  Got arguably the two best teams out of the way for next few games- certainly the most athletic in the B1G.  Will be interesting to see what transpires in the next few games (lineups, performance, etc.).  ?

13 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

At Illinois up next- dare I say this is a "winnable game"?  Got to find a way to get that one however we do it, get back to .500.  Got arguably the two best teams out of the way for next few games- certainly the most athletic in the B1G.  Will be interesting to see what transpires in the next few games (lineups, performance, etc.).  ?

I would be shocked if the lineup changes. I just don't think it will, coach is going to ride with the vets

Freshmen 34 and starters 22.  Actually it was much worse than that.  Taylor scored 11, so 4 starters minus her scored 11 points.  By my count that's 2.25 per head.  

Something is very off with Hannah.  On the year she's shooting 31 percent.  Assist to turnover ratio is less than 2 to 1.  I know she's better than that. 

Right now I'd start Brown, Haiby, Mershon, Eililey and Kissinger.  We'd be small, but we'd have 3 shooting above 40 percent behind the arc.  Sam can get to the rim and get the defense to collapse. Mershon is the best we have at boxing out. So I agree with most of what Longtimefan said.  Even though Nicea starts out tentative on offense she is too valuable on defense to not start.

1 hour ago, caveman said:

Freshmen 34 and starters 22.  Actually it was much worse than that.  Taylor scored 11, so 4 starters minus her scored 11 points.  By my count that's 2.25 per head.  

Something is very off with Hannah.  On the year she's shooting 31 percent.  Assist to turnover ratio is less than 2 to 1.  I know she's better than that. 

Right now I'd start Brown, Haiby, Mershon, Eililey and Kissinger.  We'd be small, but we'd have 3 shooting above 40 percent behind the arc.  Sam can get to the rim and get the defense to collapse. Mershon is the best we have at boxing out. So I agree with most of what Longtimefan said.  Even though Nicea starts out tentative on offense she is too valuable on defense to not start.

Don’t understand why you pull Kissinger after she got finally got open and hit a couple shots. Give her a blow and get her back in. 

We pay our coach big bucks to figure this all out.  She has been concerned about rebounding and turn overs most of this year.  We've seen a consistent improvement in rebounding but not in turnovers.  Kate had a rebound ripped from her hands when Rutgers finally missed a 3 towards the end of the first qtr. and guess what, they made another three out of that.  I had to quit watching after the first half because I couldn't stand to see Hannah throw one more ridiculous pass.  The worst stat for the starters were of the 19 turnovers we committed 16 was by the starters.   I would start Haiby, Brown, Eliely, Mershon and Cain.   

6 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Me thinks the freshmen are going to be good.

We lost the first quarter by about the same difference as the final score.  Can't continue to get behind and have to catch up the entire game.

Brown is easily our biggest offensive threat. She should start and plays lots of minutes. She takes some pressure off Kissenger by commanding focus from the other team. Kissenger must shoot more. 

Not ready to pick out another starting lineup, but our current starters isn't it.

Don't know what the deal is with Cain either. She's not new to the league now. Other teams are double teaming for one thing, but just no moves around the hole.

Missed relatively "must make" shots tonight.

Your starting post must score at least 50-60%  If your post position isn't scoring 10-15+ points/game...your team will struggle. We must get more true posts.

Last years team....

Last years team had a much different makeup compared to our current starters. The loss of Jazz, Morton, Wood & Stallworth makes a huge difference defensively.  Really, really to bad Blackburn is/was unable to continue. She'd be very valuable. Great kid to start with. The players returning, in general terms (Nicea excepted).... aren't strong defensively.  This years freshmen are more to offensive side. Are learning to play defense..on the go.

To change the subject.

Watched some of the Purdue-Northwestern game tonight. Purdue has two posts that will eat us alive. One guy...sorry...girl...looks like she is from the men's team.

Northwestern has athletic post also. Both will be tough teams for us.

Edited by redsteve

21 hours ago, mwm89 said:

I don't believe there will be any changes, either.  Wondering if there might be any contrarian views.

I think Maddie is very close to losing her starting position.  It's not just her lack of scoring or having too many turnovers she also stands around too much on defense and her rebounding has declined as well.  Sitting on the bench with less minutes hasn't helped maybe not starting will.  I came to this conclusion after rewatching some of the recent games.  Just my opinion which doesn't mean jack ----.

This whole 3 pages on Rutgers has a lot of BS drool in it!  We do not care if someone is sitting in your seats or whether you are going to the game or what you are wearing!!! This BS does not belong in here!  Just focus on the basketball basics!  Too many turnovers by seasoned players; bad passing; no development of Cain in the last year; Cain setting picks on top instead of being low and trying to get open for shots or rebounds; bad passing; and in ineffective offense!  Out!

48 minutes ago, Redhac said:

This whole 3 pages on Rutgers has a lot of BS drool in it!  We do not care if someone is sitting in your seats or whether you are going to the game or what you are wearing!!! This BS does not belong in here!  Just focus on the basketball basics!  Too many turnovers by seasoned players; bad passing; no development of Cain in the last year; Cain setting picks on top instead of being low and trying to get open for shots or rebounds; bad passing; and in ineffective offense!  Out!

Maybe you should come join in on game day and help with the input. But you may not like it because sometimes the thread does get hijacked.

i would agree with longtimefan for the most part: wouldn't mind seeing a change in the starting lineup to see if huskers can jump out to a lead. no problem here with starting the 4 freshman and kissinger---or cain, brown, haiby, verbeek and kissinger. maybe this could open things up a little more for cain. 

but.....i'm guessing if there is a change, brown may be the one.

13 hours ago, Redhac said:

I'm relatively new to this site.  What I have noticed, it is kinder, and more supportive of their team, than most forums.  

Might not be for everyone, but I like the "drool".      

13 hours ago, Redhac said:

This post made me want to hac.

18 hours ago, HUD said:

I think Maddie is very close to losing her starting position.  It's not just her lack of scoring or having too many turnovers she also stands around too much on defense and her rebounding has declined as well.  Sitting on the bench with less minutes hasn't helped maybe not starting will.  I came to this conclusion after rewatching some of the recent games.  Just my opinion which doesn't mean jack ----.

If someone were to be replaced in the starting lineup, I think Maddie is the most obvious choice.  Even though she played okay last year, trying to make an outside player (which she did mostly in HS) into a 3 or 4 doesn't always go too well.  Just going by what I've seen on the court but my opinion doesn't mean jack either when it comes to some things.  The one who has earned a starting spot the most is Brown.  Some coaches seem to like to go with an experienced starting lineup to "break the ice" then substitute as they deem necessary. 

I think it was barely 2 minutes before she subbed this game. I kind of like the idea of letting the experience players break the ice quickly but those 2 minutes were very very ugly... I just about crapped at the start of the 3rd when we lost our mind with the experience players in and she subs in the freshman and we get right back into the game.

I think 2 or 3 freshman need to be on the court with the older girls at all times because to me its the freshman that bring the energy and make the older girls play better.

I have been starting to notice Nicea, Maddie and Kissinger have be hanging their heads a lot lately. Its like they are scared to screw up which is usually the freshman problem. I hope they can get it together and start playing hard like they want the minutes instead of thinking they are getting the minutes no matter what.