Husker Nation Defense & Rebounding

hhcdave

Hello All, and Happy New Year!!!

I was a student at Dear Old Nebraska U from '99-'03, and I used to love at football games when they would call our D the "Husker Nation Defense." So that's the reason for the title of this thread, except this is about BASKETBALL defense.

Lately, it has really, REALLY worried me. As in... it's been really bad.

I don't want to point any fingers, because we lose as a team and win as a team. 

With that said, one of the bigger challenges (in my opinion) has been overcoming the defense of Copeland. It has... left a lot to be desired in recent days.

It seems as though we are constantly having to help off because of him getting blown by via penetration, which is honestly hard to do as a big man. 

But taking this a step further, the BIGGEST challenge is that our energy (and focus) appear to recently be lacking at times. 

YES, we're going to get outrebounded by most Big 10 teams, because we are starting a 3/4 at the "5" and have more of an offensive player at "the 4." 

BUT, there is absolutely no reason we should be allowing multiple rebounds in 6 of 8 straight possessions like last night, or any number of times in recent days/weeks. If you WANT IT and play with INTENSITY, PLUS BOX OUT, you might get outrebounded because of size, but you won't have the efforts we have recently seen.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but these appear to be our two biggest issues right now on the defensive end of the floor and the glass.

Of course, teams are shooting out of their mind from downtown, which won't keep up, but we also probably aren't (weren't) as good as our three point "D" was early on. The answer is always somewhere in between.

All that said... I see no way this team doesn't get to 10-10. If they go 10-10, they are an 8/9 seed.

11-9 with one, and we are talking 6, which is my realistic goal for this club.

STAY HEALTHY will be #1 - but the Husker Nation defense (and rebounding) MUST improve to get there, too.

Thoughts?

23 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

Thoughts?

I'm trying to stay optimistic about the Indiana game. If the team shows up and plays like they did in the Fall semester, then the momentum and energy will come back.

But you're 100% right. We've been fortunate the last couple of years in terms of injuries. The margin is very thin this season.

I was impressed by Copeland’s defense in the non-conference, but he has definitely struggled of late. Probably has at least a bit to do with competition. Overall, I’ve really enjoyed watching him this year. Hope he breaks out of the funk. 

Agreed that our focus and intensity isn’t what it needs to be on defense. I’m not sure if I put that on Miles or the players (obviously it’s a combination). But I like your outlook!

Part of the rebounding problem of late has been the lack of support from the guards.  Toward the last ten minutes, Tom and Glynn started showing up on the defensive glass.  You have to rebound as a team, particularly when we have two bigs who are good shot blockers.  We blocked 8 shots Thursday night to their 4 and allowed 64 points while basically meeting the spread.  If we get more rebounds, that’s a more comfortable win.

Having said that, Watkins and Reaves are no joke in the front court, and Reaves is very versatile.  Had Cope been making threes, it would’ve offset the physical mismatch down low.  I thought Cope needed more spot minutes Thursday.  Heiman looks to me like he could do fine at the 4.  

I am not in panic mode with anyone at this point. 

If I have any concerns right now it is with our depth.  Whether the staff wants to or not, we have to find relief for the starting five.  Amir coming back helps.  I really think Tanner can provide 10 to 14 minutes a night.  Nana can certainly provide 16 minutes a game.  So between those three, we should have 45 minutes of floor time per game.  That will allow the starters more aggressive time while they are on the floor.  

21 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I think the art of the box - out has gone the way of short shorts and long socks.

Agree 100%. The LJS had an article up today about the rebounding woes and not once in there was boxing out mentioned. As HHCDave said, being a smaller team is going to hurt rebounding but they can negate that a bit by boxing out. This team despite being small tries to out athlete/jump the opponent and that doesn't work. Whether it's guards or forwards in several games this year they turn and look a the ball rather than finding a body to box out. It's clear that they don't practice or teach it. What makes matters worse is in the article Miles was quoted of saying that because of their size it has to be an effort issue but then goes on to say they need to get in there to make a play. I'm sorry but no. You need to put your butt on someone.

Sorry end of rant.

Do you have any statistical evidence to show Cope is hurting us on defense? I know that’s really hard to do outside of looking at how much his guy is scoring and making some assumptions. But I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, at least on a consistent basis. 

I am seeing too many guys going for blocks, leaving us short handed for rebounds, and too many guys not first finding bodies to hit before getting rebounds. I’m also seeing the effects of illness and low energy running through the team. Might be a good time to give the dudes a day off when ya can, or do some fun team activities to recharge. 

One thing that I have wondered as well is...

How is our wanting to "push" the ball after rebounds hurting our rebounding.  I have noticed a few times where a guy or two assumes the team has a rebound and they are already running up the floor.  Only for their man to get a loose ball or long bounce.  I am wondering if our want to push the ball is affecting our ability to rebound sometimes.  Do we have all five guys going for a defensive board, or are 1-2 guys trying to get out and run.

I'm not saying it's bad either way.  We perform best when we run.  Just an observation and question on what you all think.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

One thing that I have wondered as well is...

How is our wanting to "push" the ball after rebounds hurting our rebounding.  I have noticed a few times where a guy or two assumes the team has a rebound and they are already running up the floor.  Only for their man to get a loose ball or long bounce.  I am wondering if our want to push the ball is affecting our ability to rebound sometimes.  Do we have all five guys going for a defensive board, or are 1-2 guys trying to get out and run.

I'm not saying it's bad either way.  We perform best when we run.  Just an observation and question on what you all think.

I would rather push the ball to score in transition because our half court offense is dreadful.  It probably does hurt us on the defensive boards.  However, we get very few offensive rebound put backs.

3 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I would rather push the ball to score in transition because our half court offense is dreadful.  It probably does hurt us on the defensive boards.  However, we get very few offensive rebound put backs.

You might be remembering previous year's teams. This year's team is rated 15th in the nation in offensive efficiency. 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:51 PM, basketballjones said:

Do you have any statistical evidence to show Cope is hurting us on defense? I know that’s really hard to do outside of looking at how much his guy is scoring and making some assumptions. But I’m not seeing what you’re seeing, at least on a consistent basis. 

I am seeing too many guys going for blocks, leaving us short handed for rebounds, and too many guys not first finding bodies to hit before getting rebounds. I’m also seeing the effects of illness and low energy running through the team. Might be a good time to give the dudes a day off when ya can, or do some fun team activities to recharge. 

Not looking at statistics, but from being at the game and watching on Thursday, it wasn't good. He had a very hard time staying in front of his guy on numerous possessions. He looked like his feet were in cement at times. I can't say I noticed that in previous games, but it sure was evident on Thursday. The other guy who has had trouble stopping dribble penetration lately has been Glynn. He reaches in and gambles on steals quite a bit. When the ball gets in the lane we are in scramble mode and even if they miss, that puts us in a more difficult position for rebounding. 

Edited by Coaches kid
clarify

13 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We get a rebounding breather against an Indiana team that also doesn't rebound well

This is exactly right.  I believe Indiana is 10th in the BIG in rebounding margin.  Further, Indiana is second to last in turnovers, where we thrive at creating turnovers (we are 1st in steals).  On paper, our strengths/weaknesses match up very well with Indiana.