uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 16 - Penn St.

uneblinstu

Just now, cjbowbros said:

The refs hurt us in this game because Palmer relies on the refs and we drove more. But honestly if every game was called like that I would be overjoyed. They didn't totally botch any calls and were quite consistent in their no calls at the rim. There were things I disagreed with but great job by the refs.

It was really a trade for Roby and Palmer.  Palmer didn't get his, but Roby got to play the whole game and showed out.  Not sure which of those is better down the stretch for us though

57 minutes ago, kleitus said:

If this team figures out its head issues there isnt a single team we cant beat.

If it doesnt, we will keep sputtering.

There isnt much else to it.

I don't think the suggestion that the only problem we have is between the ears is accurate.   We are not good at interior defense (we lack a rim protector for the most part) and rebounding.   Average outside shooting.   Lack of quality depth.    I think we have good talent (especially by Nebraska standards) and are a good team.   But we have weaknesses from a basketball standpoint that aren't simply a product of "head issues".   So personally I think there is more to it than just between the ears.  

1 minute ago, RedEyedFanatic said:

It was really a trade for Roby and Palmer.  Palmer didn't get his, but Roby got to play the whole game and showed out.  Not sure which of those is better down the stretch for us though

This is what makes us a dangerous team.  In years past we relied too much on one guy carrying the load, and when he wasn't feeling it we'd lose.  Now that we have so many weapons, if Palmer is having an off night or if the other team is keying on him, that's okay.  We'll just let Roby have a career night instead.

31 minutes ago, tcp said:

Yeah, remember last year how animated that bench was all the time? Last night, they looked more tired sitting there than the players on the court. I wish I could go beyond mere gut instinct, but something's not right in there. Reminds me of that 14-15 team that returned everyone and their chemistry had gone to sh*t. Not saying this is that, but just the change in the enthusiasm level reminds me of that. Hopefully just garden variety fan worry-wart-ing, but I dunno....something's off. 

First week back of school, tends to drain you. 

Roby - Played like he should play day in and day out.  The kid is an absolute game changer when he plays like he did last night

Watson - Looked like a leader tonight.  When we needed a clutch shot he stepped up to the plate.  It is nice that when our other stars are choking we have other stars that are there to step up.

Allen - I think he needs to be allowed to shoot 5 of Palmers shots during the games.  Meaning Palmer needs to shoot the ball 5 times less and Allen needs to shoot 5 times more.  His shot is too consistent to only shoot it 7 times

Palmer - Well the nation has figured out he can't score on Zone defense.  If he doesn't figure out what to change, he needs the ball in his hands less.  We need him to be the guy, and the last 3 games he has been everything but.  He is getting almost all of his points from the Free Throw line,  and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but his shooting % has been a joke.  He needs to get the NBA off of his mind and focus on the team and Winning... then the NBA will come. 

Copeland - Same as Palmer... Get the NBA off of his mind as well.  He is different though.  He isn't playing in the flow of the game at the moment.  He is forcing more than he needs to.  Other teams are focusing on shuting him and Palmer down.  In turn he still needs to get rebounds and assists.  Roby, Watson and Allen are all capable of handling the load

They need to get back to "Team" first, and take what the defense gives you.  If the give you Watson, Roby and Allen then get them the ball to make the shots.  Then once teams realize that those three can beat them just as easily things will open back up for Cope and Palmer.  They need to play in the flow of the game, and stop forcing bad shots (in Palmers case).  Also stop taking plays off (In Copelands case)

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Watkins looks really slow.  He's had some mental issues that kept him out of the lineup to start the season and I wonder if he's taking some medication that effects his energy level. Did anyone else notice how Chambers was switching him out on defense on every single possession so that Roby wouldn't burn him again?

They mentioned on the broadcast that he suffers from some bipolar disorder, so you could be right about medication.  They also thought he may still be trying to play his way into shape after missing several games earlier this season.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The crowd just felt pretty tepid on TV for about 80% of the game. Like they were just waiting for the team to put that run together to put the game out of reach. And I'm sure they were just as anxious as those watching on TV thinking "we really need to pull out a win in this game right now."

I'm sure it wasn't as bad in person, but it wasn't near the type of enthusiasm we've seen in other home games this year.

Thanks for providing that perspective. It's hard to gauge the whole place where we sit (high up top).

37 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

First week back of school, tends to drain you. 

Yeah, I am thinking the bench is fine. I think last year's Bench Mob might have been a skosh overplayed, so maybe they're a bit more subdued on purpose. Regardless, it did seem to be ironic that the NU students were wearing "Bench Mob" tee shirts last night. 

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Needed that win.

Roby was a stud.

They need to find the fire again if they're gonna accomplish their goals.

Glynn had a great game, too.

JPJ was ok relative to his standard.

Need more from the bench, especially in the 2nd half. There were literally no subs.

Sounds like Nana was fighting some sort of something.

Good to see Amir back.
It was just kind of a strange game.

It was a strange game.  I'm surprised we didn't let another big in the game.  Copeland got beat under the rim over and over again.

This teams has more talent than that showing.  Glad we got the win but it wasn't impressive at all.

54 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

The refs hurt us in this game because Palmer relies on the refs and we drove more. But honestly if every game was called like that I would be overjoyed. They didn't totally botch any calls and were quite consistent in their no calls at the rim. There were things I disagreed with but great job by the refs.

Generally agree about the Stooges, they were fairly consistent.

However, at the end of the game when PSU had the ball and NU had fouls to give, if I recall correctly, they whistled 3 quick NU fouls on the same PSU possession to get them in the bonus.  While all 3 plays were probably fouls, they were no more egregious than the multitude of plays that were not whistled during the first 38 minutes of the game.  If you're going to let 'em play, that needs to apply to the entire 40 minutes.

You can't exactly wave away giving up 20 offensive rebounds. But from my memory, I feel like we were in position and gave enough effort to not give up that many. Just some long bounces and not having a traditional center.

While Roby is obviously shorter than most opposing 5s, it feels like we have height and length advantages a the 3 and 4. Don't know if it is possible to scheme something up to take advantage of that. Oddly enough, it almost seems like Watson is our most consistent rebounder.

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

Roby - Played like he should play day in and day out.  The kid is an absolute game changer when he plays like he did last night

Watson - Looked like a leader tonight.  When we needed a clutch shot he stepped up to the plate.  It is nice that when our other stars are choking we have other stars that are there to step up.

Allen - I think he needs to be allowed to shoot 5 of Palmers shots during the games.  Meaning Palmer needs to shoot the ball 5 times less and Allen needs to shoot 5 times more.  His shot is too consistent to only shoot it 7 times

Palmer - Well the nation has figured out he can't score on Zone defense.  If he doesn't figure out what to change, he needs the ball in his hands less.  We need him to be the guy, and the last 3 games he has been everything but.  He is getting almost all of his points from the Free Throw line,  and that is not necessarily a bad thing, but his shooting % has been a joke.  He needs to get the NBA off of his mind and focus on the team and Winning... then the NBA will come. 

Copeland - Same as Palmer... Get the NBA off of his mind as well.  He is different though.  He isn't playing in the flow of the game at the moment.  He is forcing more than he needs to.  Other teams are focusing on shuting him and Palmer down.  In turn he still needs to get rebounds and assists.  Roby, Watson and Allen are all capable of handling the load

They need to get back to "Team" first, and take what the defense gives you.  If the give you Watson, Roby and Allen then get them the ball to make the shots.  Then once teams realize that those three can beat them just as easily things will open back up for Cope and Palmer.  They need to play in the flow of the game, and stop forcing bad shots (in Palmers case).  Also stop taking plays off (In Copelands case)

Allen is too passive sometimes, needs to be more aggressive and look more for his shot.

3 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Allen is too passive sometimes, needs to be more aggressive and look more for his shot.

Interesting. I think he's been pretty aggressive, especially off the dribble. I think he probably could be a bit more aggressive with his shot, but I haven't been concerned about his aggressiveness.

26 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Interesting. I think he's been pretty aggressive, especially off the dribble. I think he probably could be a bit more aggressive with his shot, but I haven't been concerned about his aggressiveness.

It seems like he gets kind of lost in our offense.  I feel like a lot of his scoring has been done in transition rather than the flow of the offense

Penn St. has a defender who can handle Palmer.  Last year, Palmer’s numbers against Penn St. were similarly poor and went something like this:

—January game there: 1-9 from the field and 3-4 from the line for 5 points, with 4 boards, 3 fouls in 20 minutes

—February game in Lincoln: 5-12 from the field, 0-3 from three, 1-3 from the line for 11 points, with 6 turnovers in 33 minutes.

When a defender can handle Palmer, there has to be a different way to win.  Roby was that “different way” last night.

1 hour ago, NUtball said:

Generally agree about the Stooges, they were fairly consistent.

However, at the end of the game when PSU had the ball and NU had fouls to give, if I recall correctly, they whistled 3 quick NU fouls on the same PSU possession to get them in the bonus.  While all 3 plays were probably fouls, they were no more egregious than the multitude of plays that were not whistled during the first 38 minutes of the game.  If you're going to let 'em play, that needs to apply to the entire 40 minutes.

Thank goodness though we would have been more likely to lose because they score right after we fouled at least 2 I think all 3 times! They didn't call them shooting either and they could have been. From a neutral stance I agree though you're totally right it was very strange.

20 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

It seems like he gets kind of lost in our offense.  I feel like a lot of his scoring has been done in transition rather than the flow of the offense

Given how potent the big 4 can be, he's the perfect compliment to it. He's fully capable and with as much attention opponents pay to Palmer and Cope and Watson and Roby, he's a guy that can't be ignored and has shown he can absolutely burn you. His day in the spotlight will come. I think he's in the perfect spot for him and this team right now.

Allen is taking 15.9% of the shots when he is on the floor which is on the low side.

Here is everyone else

Palmer - 29.4%

Watson - 22.9%

Copeland - 21.5%

Roby - 18.7%

Allen is our 5th option but has shown that when pressed he's capable of doing more.  Part of what makes us a dangerous team is we roll out 5 guys capable of putting up 10+ so taking away just one guy shouldn't work on us even if it is Palmer.

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I wish there was a way to get Amir more time. I really think he’s a missing piece/element to our rotation. Amir can really do some things that we haven’t seen fully on display yet. I promise you guys that. 

33 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Given how potent the big 4 can be, he's the perfect compliment to it. He's fully capable and with as much attention opponents pay to Palmer and Cope and Watson and Roby, he's a guy that can't be ignored and has shown he can absolutely burn you. His day in the spotlight will come. I think he's in the perfect spot for him and this team right now.

Amir can work with our lineup because if he subs in for Tom he takes on the role of our 5th option and if he subs for someone else Tom is capable of stepping up