uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 16 - Penn St.

uneblinstu

Needed that win.

Roby was a stud.

They need to find the fire again if they're gonna accomplish their goals.

Glynn had a great game, too.

JPJ was ok relative to his standard.

Need more from the bench, especially in the 2nd half. There were literally no subs.

Sounds like Nana was fighting some sort of something.

Good to see Amir back.
It was just kind of a strange game.

Edited by uneblinstu

We gotta get some kinda bench rotation figured out here. Some of palmers struggles are results of bein tired especially on the defensive end. If nothing else Amir and nana should be able to help us on the boards for the 15-20 mins a night they should be playing. Our bigs are what they are not much more to be said about that, we just gotta make shots to offset the rebounding woes. That’s the best game I’ve seen roby play. He was constantly the aggressor on both ends. 

Part of the reason we struggle rebounding  is we have 3 guys go for a block.  That leaves 2 guys to box out 4.  We got to be more disciplined. 

Roby and Watson played great.  We can beat anyone with Palmer, Copeland playing up to their level, along with Roby and Watson playing like tonight.

-roby had the matchup advantage on whoever was on him and won it

- I actually want a reason why there were no subs in the second half. I understand they aren't the best. Amir and Nana can both give 5-10 minutes per half usually. As long as two of the big 4 are on the court at a time I think they'll be fine. 

- glad to see amir back. He rebounds well from the guard position and knows how to push the ball. 

-josh Reeves is a bad matchup for Palmer. One of the better defenders in all of the big ten. And I felt like a few of Palmer's drives he usually gets called for the foul. 

-senior Glynn Watson is here to stay. Which is huge. 

-tom Allen gave good spurts all game long. 

-everyone looked tired. I am not concerned about depth if they are played correctly. Someone had to have asked it in the miles presser. 

-a W is a W. But IU became a huge game confidence wise. 

Good win against a team that is way more talented than their record.  

Roby was who we thought he was tonight. Best game of his career so far.  He was an absolute terror.  

Watson was extremely clutch and ran the show when things got tense.  Loved his leadership tonight.  

Another solid game from Tom.  Kid is a natural and has a very high IQ and knowledge of his role on both ends.  Our guards outplayed theirs tonight.  

We had a TON of deflections not go into our hands.  That really hurts JPJ’s game as he is so good in transition as a scorer.  He’s gotta chill in the half court sets and move the ball.  He also needs to get some defensive urgency.  

Cope got got leaned on and outmuscled all night, but that was to be expected a bit based on the matchup.  He had some great looks from 3 that didn’t drop.  If those go in, he would’ve had a similar perimeter impact on his matchup like Roby did.  Off nights happen, even for our most consistent player, and he still managed to help out with some timely midrange shots.  

Really glad lad to see Amir back.  

Need Nana to find his stroke again.  We need him to be effective as a stretch 4 off the bench.  

I thought Brady’s height could’ve helped defensively in spot minutes tonight, but Roby was such a beast and kept his fouls low.  Hard to complain about his minutes.  

Again, good win.  PSU has talent and impressed me tonight.  They’ll ruin some nights for a few teams now that Watkins is getting his legs back.  

Tonight was about perseverance against a gritty PSU squad. Next time out is about confidence to fight the good fight on the road. Then next Thursday is for HISTORY! GBR !!!

Really, really liked the aggressiveness of Isaiah Roby, that's the dude that NBA scouts drool over. Even hitting those final 4 foul shots were a huge lift after the rest of the team was 3 of 7. He needed to be B1G tonight, and he had that in spades.

Glynn & Tom both picked up NU on the offensive end when neither had been effective in the early portion. That was an underrated aspect of this victory. Glad to have #5 and #12 on both ends. Leaders in calming the stormy waters, and both seem to be more than effective all-around.

Just seemed like we could never find a way to get on a run tonight in a way that would provide momentum.   Inability to get a rebound was a big part of that for most of the game.   I think that contributed to the fact that it seemed like an uncharacteristically dead crowd.   Felt like the old Collier / Sadler days when the crowd just sat and watched - except we had 3 times the people and 3 times better players on the floor.

7 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

Just seemed like we could never find a way to get on a run tonight in a way that would provide momentum.   Inability to get a rebound was a big part of that for most of the game.   I think that contributed to the fact that it seemed like an uncharacteristically dead crowd.   Felt like the old Collier / Sadler days when the crowd just sat and watched - except we had 3 times the people and 3 times better players on the floor.

Wasn't dead where we sit. Never is. Guess it depends on where you're at in PBA.

There are certainly pockets. My section was somewhat emptier- but we did what we could. They should put the DB meter up more than just a couple of times per game. Only time the crowd truly got loud. 

I did notice some frustration between certain players. Guy’s emphatically motioning for the other guy to move or set a screen and the other guy didn’t respond. 

Body language want good for the most part.  Have to change the energy on the team somehow or we’re cooked.

On to Indiana. 

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Wasn't dead where we sit. Never is. Guess it depends on where you're at in PBA.

The crowd just felt pretty tepid on TV for about 80% of the game. Like they were just waiting for the team to put that run together to put the game out of reach. And I'm sure they were just as anxious as those watching on TV thinking "we really need to pull out a win in this game right now."

I'm sure it wasn't as bad in person, but it wasn't near the type of enthusiasm we've seen in other home games this year.

8 hours ago, 49r said:

We needed this win tonight and we got it.  The Indiana game coming up is whatever.  The big one is in a week against MSU.  That will be for the longest home win streak in Husker Hoops history.  PBA needs to be lit next thursday like none other.  It should make No Sit Sunday look like sunday school.  I would recommend starting drinking now to be ready.

I would love to win the MSU game but I’ll take a split over the next 2, any way we can get it. Home streak be damned, if we win at Indiana and lose to MSU - we’re still in fantastic shape.

8 hours ago, brfrad said:

Part of the reason we struggle rebounding  is we have 3 guys go for a block.  That leaves 2 guys to box out 4.  We got to be more disciplined. 

Roby and Watson played great.  We can beat anyone with Palmer, Copeland playing up to their level, along with Roby and Watson playing like tonight.

This is very true. It’s quite common in my experience and I would bet Penn State purposely sets up their offense to get it. PSU  wasn’t very efficient but they took the Right shots. They either shot the three which allows for a long rebound or shot a layup which allows for a week aside rebound. And when you get the weak side rebound you are in perfect position to easily score. These are also analytically the best places on the floor to shoot.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

The crowd just felt pretty tepid on TV for about 80% of the game. Like they were just waiting for the team to put that run together to put the game out of reach. And I'm sure they were just as anxious as those watching on TV thinking "we really need to pull out a win in this game right now."

I'm sure it wasn't as bad in person, but it wasn't near the type of enthusiasm we've seen in other home games this year.

It was probably exactly what you thought it was from tv.  Better than a normal school but didn’t live up to our standards.

- From TV the crowd seemed like an absolute snoozer

- I saw some bad body language between Huskers on the court. Hopefully the win eases some frustration

- Aside from Roby, there wasnt much to get excited about

- Copes gotta get more than 3 rebounds

- Glynn and Tom were solid

Just overall didnt like the energy and vibe from the team. Hopefully the pressure isnt getting to them. Gotta split these next two games.