Penn St. (7-8) vs. Nebraska (11-4) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Tough one. Really worried about this team. Somehow even after the win I feel like it isnt a confidence boost, they're just as relieved as we are, and know how badly they played tonight. Just happy with the W obviously. But man. Numbers say this is a good win and #12, but how close to disaster can you skirt? Damn I am nervous. Idk if it's the sickness but things just dont seem right.

Guess teams have to go through the low points of the season, and you just hope during those stretches the team can pick up a few survival wins. Just how it is in college ball; enfuriating, but true.

23 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Whew.  Back home.  That was a rock fight tonight.  Good games tonight by Isaiah and Glynn.  Solid games by the others.  James really struggled at time.  We need to get him going.  Never heard at the arena, but I assume a few of our bench players were ill???

Nana was sick, and Amir was just coming back after a month off.  Palmer needs to turn it around.  He played poorly the first 4 or 5 games, and then played well until the last few games.  Get Palmer going with Copeland and Roby.

4 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Personally, I think Watson should have run more clock but I understand why he took it when I factor in he was making circus shots the last 4 minutes of the game and his confidence was trending up quickly. It also was a pull up from something like 12 feet which is his best shot all the time. If he hits that shot the game is over and everyone is talking about him being a stud with nerves of steel. As I former coach I want him to run more clock. As a former player who has been lucky enough to have experienced a couple of games where the ball just seemed to want to go in the basket for me, I definitely understand that shot. You then factor in that Watson is a senior who has gone on record saying he will do whatever is necessary to get his team to the dance. We've just lost two games in a row and I'm projecting but I believe what was going through his mind was, "I'm not going to let it get to three." He also has put together a record of 3 1/2 years playing basketball for Nebraska. I'm still not thrilled with his shot selection (for the record I admit that as a player I probably take that same shot as well and when it doesn't go in I'm surprised as hell. I'm extremely biased but I don't think that means I have a low basketball IQ), but looking at all the factors up to that point in the game, adding in where we are in this season as well his track record over all his time here at Nebraska, I can say with much confidence that I strongly believe Glenn Watson does NOT have a low basketball IQ.

I wish there was a way I could upvote this more than once.  Very well said.

11 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:
1 hour ago, nustudent said:

We have a very low basketball IQ.   WTF is Watson doing

Personally, I think Watson should have run more clock but I understand why he took it when I factor in he was making circus shots the last 4 minutes of the game and his confidence was trending up quickly. It also was a pull up from something like 12 feet which is his best shot all the time. If he hits that shot the game is over and everyone is talking about him being a stud with nerves of steel.

You know... it sure beats letting the clock run to 5 seconds and throw up a wild three point shot.