Trivia Question fun

Huskerpapa

Ooooo.... Oooo...  I know this...

Nebraska: Omaha will see the Royals and Tigers play this summer.

At least this is how it is being billed. However, I believe this is technically an error. In the late 1800s there was a game featuring two MLB teams -- one of them being the Cincinnati Red Stockings and the other a now-defunct group that I don't recall -- played in Nebraska City.

Edited by KZRider

11 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I haven't heard anything regarding this. But another fun factoid is that the Red Sox will be hosting the Yankees in a series in London next season:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-red-sox-will-play-in-london-in-2019/c-275777726

A Redsox/Yankees brawl playing America's Pastime game in London just a few days before the 4th of July?  Sign me up!

44 minutes ago, KZRider said:

At least this is how it is being billed. However, I believe this is technically an error. In the late 1800s there was a game featuring two MLB teams -- one of them being the Cincinnati Red Stockings and the other a now-defunct group that I don't recall -- played in Nebraska City.

You just threw me in the depths of the Wikipedia spiral where you find out one thing which leads to another that leads to another.

Here's an interesting read if anyone wants to look at the timelines of defunct MLB teams:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_and_relocated_Major_League_Baseball_teams

1 hour ago, KZRider said:

Cincinnati Red Stockings played in both Nebraska City and Omaha in 1869: http://www.19cbaseball.com/tours-1867-1870-cincinnati-red-stockings-tour-3.html

3 hours ago, KZRider said:

But technically it's not an error, because Major League Baseball didn't exist as an entity until 1903!

Edited by 49r

1 hour ago, 49r said:

But technically it's not an error, because Major League Baseball didn't exist as an entity until 1903!

Your point is well made and I bow to it! We lovers of the NL "senior circuit," however, prefer to date it from those halcyon days of '69 and no amount of facts can change our minds :)

Interestingly, some early games didn't make it to 9 innings because of blue laws that prevent playing baseball on Sundays. They played, anyway, but the police often ran the teams out of town for it. Sometimes,  however, the police allowed themselves to be "captured" by the crowd and forced to watch the game to the end. It must have been a glorious time!

Edited by KZRider

50 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Interestingly, some early games didn't make it to 9 innings because of blue laws that prevent playing baseball on Sundays. They played, anyway, but the police often ran the teams out of town for it.

Interesting. I was wondering why some games only went 4-5 innings. Really enjoying the knowledge drop!

FWIW if you ever get to Rushville, NE, visit the Modisett Ball Park there. In that little town of 1200 near Chadron there is an MLB worthy field built in the 1940s. From the 1880s on the town saw some of the best baseball ever played in our state. A stream of MLB scouts looking for talent and even led to some "pickup" spring training games between featuring MLB players from places like Minneapolis, Chicago and elsewhere. A fun book on the subject is done by Jeff Barnes called "Extra Innings: The Story of Modisett Ball Park." A trip to Rushville is worth the effort.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, Huskerpapa said:

Who was the first Division-I school to lose the N.C.A.A. title game in two consecutive seasons?

Spitballing here.  Didn't Houston Lose in two consecutive seasons?  Probably not the first though.  I was thinking UH lost to NC State in '83 then to G-town the following year.  I did not search engine this matter, though.

6 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

Spitballing here.  Didn't Houston Lose in two consecutive seasons?  Probably not the first though.  I was thinking UH lost to NC State in '83 then to G-town the following year.  I did not search engine this matter, though.

Looks like it's Ohio State.  Lost to Cincinnati in consecutive years.  Before that they beat Cal to win the title.  Pretty sure that was the Havlicek era.  My dad's favorite player as well as mine when he played for the Celtics.  ;)

8 hours ago, mwm89 said:

Looks like it's Ohio State.  Lost to Cincinnati in consecutive years.  Before that they beat Cal to win the title.  Pretty sure that was the Havlicek era.  My dad's favorite player as well as mine when he played for the Celtics.  ;)

Correct.  I believe Cincinnati was led by Oscar Robertson and Ohio State had Havlicek and Jerry Lucas, Larry Siegfried and some hard nosed kid named Bob Knight.

Oscar's teams never made it to the finals. I actually saw one of the regional games he lost by blowing a free throw which would have won the game against the Bob Boozer/Jack Parr K-State team. I believe the teams which beat Ohio State were led by Paul Hogue, Bob Wiesenhahn and Connie Dierking, although I am drawing a blank on their best player. *addendum after looking it up-it was Tom Thacker (how could I have forgotten). I also saw the Wichita Shockers upset the Bearcats at the old Roundhouse the night when they were rated #1 and the Shockers had Dave Stallworth and Nate Bowman.

Edited by jimmykc

22 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Oscar's teams never made it to the finals. I actually saw one of the regional games he lost by blowing a free throw which would have won the game against the Bob Boozer/Jack Parr K-State team. I believe the teams which beat Ohio State were led by Paul Hogue, Bob Wiesenhunt and Connie Dierking. although I am drawing a blank on their best player. *addendum after looking it up-it was Tom Thacker (how could I have forgotten0. I also saw the Wichita Shockers upset the Bearcats at the old Roundhouse the night when they were rated #1 and the Shockers had Dave Stallworth and Nate Bowman.

Nice work, Jimmy.   I don't want to say that you watched James Naismith's first game with the peach baskets, but maybe you did .....

• 2 weeks later...