Creighton/Marquette

jimmykc

I will never understand why coaches don't instruct the inbounder to hand the ball to the defensive player guarding the ball in a situation like Creighton was in...up 3 less than 1 second left...The defender is inside the three point line and he cannot score three points from that position on the court...instead Creighton threw it deep and gave Marquette two chances...one if they intercept beyond three point line and heave it in and the second chance was if nobody touches the ball and they get to inbound it.

I have had an inbounder hand the ball essentially to the defender on the ball when I was coaching sophomore basketball in the 1990s and I have never seen a team do that since...to me, it seems like the most logical thing to do...but I have never seen another coach do it.

I actually line up all four players at half court, so the other 4 defenders have to be 47 feet away from hoop...if a defender guards the ball inside the three point line, i just have a guy hand him the ball and if he can score 3 points in less than a second from inside the 3 point line, god bless him, I'll play overtime...although most likely, he will be so shocked he won't do anything with the ball.

If all five defenders are outside the three point line...i have my guard sprint to the inbounder and they should be able to get a clean catch with that much open court with all four offensive players at half court.

Edited by Blindcheck

12 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I will never understand why coaches don't instruct the inbounder to hand the ball to the defensive player guarding the ball in a situation like Creighton was in...up 3 less than 1 second left...The defender is inside the three point line and he cannot score three points from that position on the court...instead Creighton threw it deep and gave Marquette two chances...one if they intercept beyond three point line and heave it in and the second chance was if nobody touches the ball and they get to inbound it.

I have had an inbounder hand the ball essentially to the defender on the ball when I was coaching sophomore basketball in the 1990s and I have never seen a team do that since...to me, it seems like the most logical thing to do...but I have never seen another coach do it.

I actually line up all four players at half court, so the other 4 defenders have to be 47 feet away from hoop...if a defender guards the ball inside the three point line, i just have a guy hand him the ball and if he can score 3 points in less than a second from inside the 3 point line, god bless him, I'll play overtime...although most likely, he will be so shocked he won't do anything with the ball.

If all five defenders are outside the three point line...i have my guard sprint to the inbounder and they should be able to get a clean catch with that much open court with all four offensive players at half court.

Yeah, I've seen that done. But, why McD deserves all the blame, which he did also take afterward... but, no, CU didn't have the game 'won' and it's simply because they couldn't execute. Fools.

Edited by AuroranHusker

I coached my inbounder in a seventh grade game to hand the ball to the defender.  We were down 30 in the second quarter and they were pressing full court.

My kid gave theirs the ball, and I turned to the other coach and said, "We can do this all day."

He pulled the press.

We still lost by a million, but at least a game happened.

Come on guys, I know you're just poking fun but according to KenPom, Creighton is ranked higher than 5 Big Ten teams; Rutgers, Illinois, Penn State, Minnesota and Northwestern.

I'd put them somewhere at the top of that group.

Did I do the semicolon right?

On 1/17/2019 at 1:34 PM, 49r said:

Come on guys, I know you're just poking fun but according to KenPom, Creighton is ranked higher than 5 Big Ten teams; Rutgers, Illinois, Penn State, Minnesota and Northwestern.

I'd put them somewhere at the top of that group.

Did I do the semicolon right?

No. You should have gone with a colon. Semicolons are never used to start a series or list. 

Edited by atskooc