Wooden Award

Huskerpapa

With the angst and hand wringing going on, it is time for some good news.  James Palmer, Jr. has made the top 25 list for the John Wooden Award that is presented to best college player each year.  Think about it...James is considered one of the top 25 players in the country.

CONGRATULATIONS James!!!!

I mean, that's great and all, and really exciting for JPJ...but let's be clear here.  They might as well carve Zion's name on the plaque or trophy or whatever it is right now because that's who's winning it this year.

But still...pretty decent company to be keeping:

John R. Wooden Award Presented By Wendy’s

2018-19 Midseason Top 25 Watch List

Name

School

Conference

Height

Class

Position

Nickeil Alexander-Walker

Virginia Tech

ACC

6-5

So.

G

RJ Barrett

Duke

ACC

6-7

Fr.

F

Ignas Brazdeikis

Michigan

Big Ten

6-7

Fr.

F

Jordan Caroline

Nevada

Mountain West

6-7

Sr.

G/F

Jarrett Culver

Texas Tech

Big 12

6-6

So.

G

Mike Daum

South Dakota State

Summit League

6-9

Sr.

F

Carsen Edwards

Purdue

Big Ten

6-1

Jr.

G

Rui Hachimura

Gonzaga

WCC

6-8

Jr.

F

Ethan Happ

Wisconsin

Big Ten

6-10

Sr.

F

Markus Howard

Marquette

Big East

5-11

Jr.

G

De'Andre Hunter

Virginia

ACC

6-7

So.

G

Keldon Johnson

Kentucky

SEC

6-6

Fr.

G

Romeo Langford

Indiana

Big Ten

6-6

Fr.

G

Dedric Lawson

Kansas

Big 12

6-9

Jr.

F

Caleb Martin

Nevada

Mountain West

6-7

Sr.

F

Luke Maye

North Carolina

ACC

6-8

Sr.

F

Ja Morant

Murray State

Ohio Valley

6-3

So.

G

Jordan Murphy

Minnesota

Big Ten

6-7

Sr.

F

James Palmer Jr.

Nebraska

Big Ten

6-6

Sr.

G

Shamorie Ponds

St. John's

Big East

6-1

Jr.

G

Myles Powell

Seton Hall

Big East

6-2

Jr.

G

Admiral Schofield

Tennessee

SEC

6-6

Sr.

G

Grant Williams

Tennessee

SEC

6-7

Jr.

F

Zion Williamson

Duke

ACC

6-7

Fr.

F

Cassius Winston

Michigan State

Big Ten

6-1

Jr.

G

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Not in-season, but I hear ya: Pike was a beast.

Pike was always good; but it was at this point of his senior year that the light went on and he went from very good, to great.  I remember he struggled at times when he put the ball on floor to penetrate.  He would often take one dribble too far and would be called for a charge.  All of a sudden, he stopped doing that.  Again, it seemed a light went on for him and he simply elevated his game.  

My hope is that our current group of seniors will soon find that enlightenment and elevate their collective games as well. :)

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Pike was always good; but it was at this point of his senior year that the light went on and he went from very good, to great.  I remember he struggled at times when he put the ball on floor to penetrate.  He would often take one dribble too far and would be called for a charge.  All of a sudden, he stopped doing that.  Again, it seemed a light went on for him and he simply elevated his game.  

My hope is that our current group of seniors will soon find that enlightenment and elevate their collective games as well. :)

That reminds me of a play Glynn made last night in the first half.  He had the ball in the right corner and an open lane along the baseline to the hoop so he started driving.

Usually that's a play where he just drives all the way to the hole and gets blown up by the other team's post player or maybe a charge.  But when he got about to the lane you could see him make a hitch and and he hesitated for just a fraction of a second then pulled up and took the 5 foot jump shot.

He missed, but I could see in just that play a light went off in his head where he was thinking "not this time" but that little hitch betrayed him.  Hopefully though in the future he'll do it more instinctively.