Scouting Penn St

hhcmatt

image.png

Amazing amount of minutes this lineup is playing together.

On the flip side we've also been playing our bench more. 

We're accomplishing both by playing the bench in the first half, riding the starters in the 2nd half, and keeping out of foul trouble

7 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

No mention of Watkins in the PSU notes. will he play?

He has been relegated to the bench and played 12 minutes against Purdue in PSU's last game and 15 minutes against Michigan the game before that.  He sounds like a head case but I fully expect him to come out tonight and hit a three since he hasn't made one his entire career.

11 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

He has been relegated to the bench and played 12 minutes against Purdue in PSU's last game and 15 minutes against Michigan the game before that.  He sounds like a head case but I fully expect him to come out tonight and hit a three since he hasn't made one his entire career.

He only played 12 against Purdue because he fouled out..

Part of his lack of minutes is that he's been a defensive liability against teams with faster players at the center and I am fearful that when Borchardt is in the game they can just throw him in there because TB isn't a threat to score.

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He only played 12 against Purdue because he fouled out..

Part of his lack of minutes is that he's been a defensive liability against teams with faster players at the center and I am fearful that when Borchardt is in the game they can just throw him in there because TB isn't a threat to score.

Yes, that's possible and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets more run tonight.  If Watkins becomes an issue, we can certainly negate him by swapping Borchardt for Harris and putting Roby on him until Chambers is forced to sub him out.  Keep in mind that Watkins only played 15 minutes and 19 minutes respectively in the two previous games to their Purdue loss, which makes it 4 out of 5 he has played less than 20 minutes so I do think there is something amiss with him and Chambers and the team.  

4 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Yes, that's possible and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets more run tonight.  If Watkins becomes an issue, we can certainly negate him by swapping Borchardt for Harris and putting Roby on him until Chambers is forced to sub him out.  Keep in mind that Watkins only played 15 minutes and 19 minutes respectively in the two previous games to their Purdue loss, which makes it 4 out of 5 he has played less than 20 minutes so I do think there is something amiss with him and Chambers and the team.  

I think he's struggling but the "why" about his minutes played here is important

Purdue: Big time foul trouble - 12 minutes

Michigan: Chambers decided to play small ball to exploit Teske (which obviously worked) - 15 minutes

Ohio St: Kaleb Wesson fouls out in 19 minutes; Ohio St doesn't have any other bigs - 19 minutes

Northwestern: Pardon plays the entire game; isn't a threat outside the paint - 27 minutes

If Watkins is playing well we need probably need to pull Tanner who is playing 30+ minutes now when he doesn't foul out

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2019/2/19/18228902/penn-state-nittany-lions-basketball-preview-vs-nebraska-cornhuskers-pat-chambers-lamar-stevens-bsd

Had to smile a bit at this game preview by Penn State's Black Shoe Diary.  The article still comments that Cope is one of the Husker's top scoring threats.  We can only wish.

4 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Will he have to call the bank shot from the corner?

A bit more scouting perspectives from the PSU side of the wall:

https://nypost.com/2019/02/18/penn-state-can-take-advantage-of-short-handed-nebraska/

"In six games without forward Isaac Copeland, who is out for the season due to injury, Nebraska’s top scoring output is 64 points. In that time, the Cornhuskers are shooting 37.3 percent from the field and 25 percent from 3-point range.

Penn State ranks 267th among Division 1 teams in offensive efficiency, but faces a Nebraska team that is allowing 0.2 points per possession more in games away from home than in Lincoln, one of the largest discrepancies in the country.

In their last three games, the Nittany Lions are getting 10.7 steals per game, which ranks sixth in the country. With Nebraska turning the ball over only nine times per game in that stretch, something will have to give. In the first meeting, Nebraska turned the ball over just eight times, but that was with a starting five that included Copeland playing 187 of a possible 200 minutes."