If Miles is Fired This Year

cjbowbros

Here's my thought process:   Nebraska is going to be a tournament team.  Nebraska seldom makes the tournament.  If* Miles is going to be fired, it would have to be at the end of the year.  Firing now is an awful look.

With that in mind, even if you think he's gone at the end of the year (I don't), why not stay supportive for the rest of the season??  Seems like a waste of negative energy to dog him now about what he should have done.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Only at Nebraska would we have a Top 5 chance in program history to pull out a NCAA tournament win and people are gunning for the coach's job.

My snooze button is still set for March, but it seems the alarm went off for some other people early. We'll see.

The ultimate double down!!  I'm liking it!!

28 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

I've been Tim's biggest fan since he got here, but unless something unforeseen happens this year.. it's time. It's his own fault for not recruiting a big man in 3 years since Jordy, not evolving with the game and having a decent offense. 

(I truly don't understand how we can't make free throws)

I don't love my negativity here. I love Tim as our coach and sorry I let the loss hit me hard. 

That being said just for conversation sake, let's say this season doesnt go the way we hope and AD decides to make some changes. Do you think we could get Gregg Marshall?

5 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

I don't love my negativity here. I love Tim as our coach and sorry I let the loss hit me hard. 

That being said just for conversation sake, let's say this season doesnt go the way we hope and AD decides to make some changes. Do you think we could get Gregg Marshall?

I’ll say what I said in another thread, I don’t disagree that Miles is on the hot seat, especially if we keep losing games we should win.  My concern comes from Bill Moos history of hiring what is cheap and rather what will give us a chance at winning when it comes to basketball.  I wish I could give 1 example of a coach who I honestly think we can lure away from a more stable program or who would want to come here and fight such an uphill battle.  I just don’t see Moos paying for anyone who isn’t a low tier Div 1 or Div 2 guy.  He’s made it pretty clear that making the football facilities better is his #1 goal for his tenure here.  (Sigh) I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t know right now if I have much confidence in either mikes staying or leaving at the end of the year.  ?

6 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

I’ll say what I said in another thread, I don’t disagree that Miles is on the hot seat, especially if we keep losing games we should win.  My concern comes from Bill Moos history of hiring what is cheap and rather what will give us a chance at winning when it comes to basketball.  I wish I could give 1 example of a coach who I honestly think we can lure away from a more stable program or who would want to come here and fight such an uphill battle.  I just don’t see Moos paying for anyone who isn’t a low tier Div 1 or Div 2 guy.  He’s made it pretty clear that making the football facilities better is his #1 goal for his tenure here.  (Sigh) I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t know right now if I have much confidence in either mikes staying or leaving at the end of the year.  ?

Money wont be the issue we dont get someone good.

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Money wont be the issue we dont get someone good.

I disagree, not that we don’t have it, but that Moos won’t want to spend it on anything that isn’t football related.  It’s been his MO everywhere else as far as I’ve been able to research.  More then likely we get another up and comer from the Colgate Toothpaste academy or something so that we can up the football facilities. I could be wrong, but Moos has made it pretty clear that football is first and even their facilities come before other sports.  

1 minute ago, Keenan9595 said:

I disagree, not that we don’t have it, but that Moos won’t want to spend it on anything that isn’t football related.  It’s been his MO everywhere else as far as I’ve been able to research.  More then likely we get another up and comer from the Colgate Toothpaste academy or something so that we can up the football facilities. I could be wrong, but Moos has made it pretty clear that football is first and even their facilities come before other sports.  

I wouldn't base his basketball hires off of washington st. You're just as well off hiring at UNK. 

2 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

‘If he does that he will be gone. Too much money and support for this program for that to happen. I think Student is right on this.

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

I think Moos is probably a bit excited to make a basketball hire with more money at his disposal. I would imagine he thinks the facilities and investments made including a fan base that keeps showing up through struggles, deserve a solid, consistent program. Just a guess ...

Surely isn’t a bad guess, I just wish he’d show some some enthusiasm by actually talking about and attending basketball games.

Just now, Keenan9595 said:

We’ll see man, I can only base stuff off of the information given.  We’ll see and I hope he’ll really put some thought into it.  But who knows?

I know how Ernie Kent looks on paper, and I hate brining up that name. But when you're at WSU averaging 3,000 fans a game, with old facilities, your 3rd fiddle behind UDub and Zaga, and your basically located in the middle of Idaho void of any talent...you throw sh*t against the wall and see if it sticks.

Just now, Keenan9595 said:

Surely isn’t a bad guess, I just wish he’d show some some enthusiasm by actually talking about and attending basketball games.

He's been on the radio a few more times in the last week to specifically talk about so it seems like he's working on it, but I agree his lack of attendance kind of show the way he's leaning maybe? I don't have stupendous sources, but have heard Miles needs to win a game in the tourney this year to keep his job. Obviously a lot more goes into the decision than that, but ...

It's tough because I think we will not be very good next year regardless, but what does it say to a potential coach when one fires a coach that gets them to the tourney two times for the first time since what feels like eternity? Still I think we'll just keep having this discussion about Miles next year regardless of what happens this year. That's why I think there's a good chance Miles tries to find another job even if we make the tourney or win a game this year.

41 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

I’m gonna hold off on researching who we could possibly get till after I see what happens Saturday but if we are gonna try to do this relatively cheap like others have stated moos tends to do T.j. Otzelberger from SDSU is our guy. Only 41 and was an assistant under hoiberg I believe at ISU. he’s built a nice program in brookings in only his third year. Just signed an extension in December but is only making like 400k this year 

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

HB idk who you are but you are spitting fire tonight and I’m with you and loving it lol

Yeah, more meaningful than Spurs who went dark a long time ago!  ?   Been doing this so long but tonight was truly one of the worst.  Rarely post on a game feed but tonight was special unfortunately 

27 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

As it should be.  Football is the bellcow.

But he'll spend the money.   A.  Because we have it.  B.  Because MBB is the only other sport where its justified.  C.  He wont be allowed not too.

Now we might not attract a whose who based on our history and lack of recruiting footprint.   But it's not because we are going shopping in the bargain aisle.  We'll pay a top 25 salary