If Miles is Fired This Year

cjbowbros

2 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Nebraska fans have been "spoiled" with great coaches in many of their programs.  Devaney/Osborne in football, Petit/Cook in volleyball, Pepin in track, Van Horn in baseball, Yori and the hot chick back in the 80's women's hoops, wrestling, sorry names escape me--don't follow the sport, Revelle in softball, Francis Allen in gymnastics and whoever coaches women's bowling--that person is really good!  Missing from the list is men's basketball.  Haven't had one in my lifetime, probably not in the history of the program.  Sigh....

Exactly. So why are people in support of signing Miles to a long-term deal? Do they just want to keep on suffering? I don't get it...

10 hours ago, royalfan said:

I am not necessarily in the Camp of win a game I want a long extension.  32 coaches do it every year.  Just because we have never done it before, doesn’t make it some incredible accomplishment.  If he isn’t a guy that can consistently get us there, consistently show an ability to elevate us in close ones, consistently show an ability to develop players(which is critical here), etc. we ought to move on if there is a hire we are confident could to better and confident we can get.  

This is is a very tricky situation.  While I wish I was in the position to make the decision, I don’t envy those that are.  

Thanks for putting things into words that I haven't quite been able to at this point.

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sure, coaches evolve. Not sure why a coach would change with greater success. Success is usually an indication that what you're doing is working.  Failure is what usually provokes someone to make changes.

But my issue is that we have this same discussion every single year.  And every year, the people who want to see Miles gone make the same complaints.

We lose 4 senior contributors off this team, including a couple of the best players we've ever had.  We might have some decent recruits coming in but you have to figure we're going to backslide a bit next year.

Who knows? We might not make the dance this year, in which case this discussion is academic. On the other hand, we might not only make the dance but also win a game there for the first time in program history.  But, if we do have NCAA tourney success this year, are we just putting off the annual "fire Miles" discussion for a year?

I honestly want to know: If he's the same Tim Miles you wanted fired a year or two years ago, why would anything change just because he wins a game in the dance?

AFAIC, winning that game signals something that I didn't think was possible under him and have no issue admitting I'd be wrong in my assessment of him.  Still don't know if I'd believe he could establish anything with consistency, but winning a game would certainly intrigue me enough to be open to seeing if he could

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I honestly want to know: If he's the same Tim Miles you wanted fired a year or two years ago, why would anything change just because he wins a game in the dance?

For me, no, nothing changes. I have wanted him gone for a while. I would love to see us win an NCAA game for the first time ever, absolutely. I agree we will just be delaying the inevitable however. The same talk will be held again next year after a likely sub-par year.

Best case scenario for me is we win a game (games?) in the tourney and Miles takes a lateral-ish job. Then Moos can make a hire. It would be hard not to offer him an extension after winning a game because what are you saying to other potential coaches?

I don't think we can afford to put off the inevitable much longer because we need to strike while our facilities still have a wow factor relatively speaking. This is a tough job but it also has never been a better job than it is right now because of fan support and facilities. Things can turn in basketball in a hurry with just a few players. Football takes longer.

I don't feel we are out much if we let Miles go sooner than later. He hasn't exactly BUILT a program here imho. Even in the times of many transfers we are on the low end when it comes to player retention. I don't mind when people leave who obviously weren't up to the standards we need to succeed, but when you start to see players you need and could use leave, it's more concerning. We'd love Ed Morrow, Michael Jacobson ... heck even Jeriah Horne ... this year. Sorry, not trying to play too big of a what if game. Many could argue the uncertainty from administration has hurt Miles's recruiting and assistant retention too I suppose.

Yes, Miles has taken us to the tourney and that was an accomplishment for sure. He also gave us the worst 3 year stretch in Nebrasketball history since the early 1950s ... including one year of that being a team that was consensus Top 25 entering the season. In all of the relative awfulness that is the history of Nebraska basketball that is really saying something.

My other beefs:
- Lack of identity/structure on offense

- Consistent scoring problems despite personnel

- Players often being forced to play out of position

- Significant lack of depth (if you've truly built something this shouldn't happen in year 7)

- Lack of leadership (my opinion)

22 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Touche. If you ask Cope why he came here facilities are either lower or not on the list. Quite certain there is an article that already has this answer floating around.

Having good facilities is a reason for guys to not cross Nebraska off the list.

5 star players are going to tend to be more worried about the facilities that they will OWN if they make it in the NBA that's why they are at Duke, Kentucky, etc. 

On 1/25/2019 at 12:23 AM, Husker4theSpurs said:

My other beefs:
- Lack of identity/structure on offense

- Consistent scoring problems despite personnel

- Players often being forced to play out of position

- Significant lack of depth (if you've truly built something this shouldn't happen in year 7)

- Lack of leadership (my opinion)

- The Fkin transfers

FTFY.

I'm onboard with you man. mediocre if not sad all things considered.

The general fanbase is getting to the point of apathy. Yes, they show up and support the team, but the energy is being sucked out of the Bank. When it gets to the point of apathy, they call it Penn State basketball.

Sometimes coaching changes take place to reinvigorate a fanbase and it seems that time is fast approaching.

My dream ... far fetched as it may be ... Fred Hoiberg. Has some connections to the state. Word is he'd still like to coach in the NBA but would consider college as well. He seems like a lower-key guy--maybe he would appreciate a bit more laid back pressure-to-win wise situation here? Assuming we open up the checkbook a significant amount that is ... I know we can't pay him what he could elsewhere but if we ponied up enough he might like the intangibles of being here? That's my dream at least. Word also is he despises recruiting despite doing a really solid job at Iowa State.

Just my dream ... otherwise ... in Moos I trust.

It's time ... Miles called the team soft ... they responded with this. Supposedly they had a bit of a team meeting as well?

I obviously don't know the dynamics of the coaching staff right now and I am not for firing coaches mid-season generally, but I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind to let Michael Lewis have his shot at running the team down the stretch. We certainly aren't out of it yet as there is time left to make a turnaround, but looking through the schedule stirs up more pessimism. If Miles hasn't given up complete control of the offense he should--can't get worse.

I'm not saying we should do this, just saying it has crossed my mind ...

14 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

My dream ... far fetched as it may be ... Fred Hoiberg. Has some connections to the state. Word is he'd still like to coach in the NBA but would consider college as well. He seems like a lower-key guy--maybe he would appreciate a bit more laid back pressure-to-win wise situation here? Assuming we open up the checkbook a significant amount that is ... I know we can't pay him what he could elsewhere but if we ponied up enough he might like the intangibles of being here? That's my dream at least. Word also is he despises recruiting despite doing a really solid job at Iowa State.

It's time ... Miles called the team soft ... they responded with this. Supposedly they had a bit of a team meeting as well?

I obviously don't know the dynamics of the coaching staff right now and I am not for firing coaches mid-season generally, but I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind to let Michael Lewis have his shot at running the team down the stretch. We certainly aren't out of it yet as there is time left to make a turnaround, but looking through the schedule stirs up more pessimism. If Miles hasn't given up complete control of the offense he should--can't get worse.

Lewis is going to be a head coach on his own pretty soon. And I think he'll be a decent one. I actually like our coaching staff. I liked it more with Kenya here, but still. 

You thinking of a Greg Gard moment? Possibly. 

Hoiberg is reputed to hate recruiting, and that's the one thing an NU coach can't hate. They will have to sell the hell out of their program. We're just going to need more than that. And I freely admit I don't have the answer. We have struck out going the "hot hand" mid major route now for several tries. But I also don't think Nebraska can be looked at as anything other than a coaching career killer by most power 5 coaches, too. So it won't be attractive to them, money be damned. 

I get why Nustudent and others are looking at guys like Sampson. I do. And it may be that's the price for winning. 

30 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Hoiberg  is not walking through the door.  He isn't. So let that go.  

And "In Moos I trust."   You obviously don't live around here.  Moos is in as much of a precarious position as Miles.  

33 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

100% no to firing a coach mid-season.  Otherwise I agree that calling the team soft may have backfired and may have killed this season.

4 minutes ago, HB said:

Hoiberg  is not walking through the door.  He isn't. So let that go.  

And "In Moos I trust."   You obviously don't live around here.  Moos is in as much of a precarious position as Miles.  

Like I said ... far fetched.

In Moos I trust means I trust that he will do what it takes to hire a solid coach ... I think he's excited to have some $s behind him to make a hire.

6 minutes ago, HB said:

Please explain.  I’d think Moos would have a long leash after landing Frost.

Hiring Sampson would be flirting with NCAA trouble from the get-go.