If Miles is Fired This Year

cjbowbros

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:
10 minutes ago, nustudent said:

But he'll spend the money.   A.  Because we have it.

It's worthwhile reminding others that we have fully paid off Eichorst and Riley. And I'm pretty sure Pelini is fully paid off by February.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

tumblr_m5bxe0pPaY1rwe5kgo1_500.gif

56 minutes ago, nustudent said:

As it should be.  Football is the bellcow.

But he'll spend the money.   A.  Because we have it.  B.  Because MBB is the only other sport where its justified.  C.  He wont be allowed not too.

Now we might not attract a whose who based on our history and lack of recruiting footprint.   But it's not because we are going shopping in the bargain aisle.  We'll pay a top 25 salary

We’ll see, I’ll be shocked if we pay more than 2 mill a season, the top 25 laid coaches starts at 2.5.

Edited by Keenan9595

4 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

Not according to the top 25 paid coaches, I don’t see miles on the list.  

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/sports/highest-paid-college-basketball-coaches-14774331

Miles makes $2.375 million this year and will increase to $2.5M next year.  Never said MIles was in the top 25, though he is close.   I said we will pay a top 25 type salary when that time comes

Edited by nustudent

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Miles makes $2.375 million this year and will increase to $2.5M next year.  Never said MIles was in the top 25, though he is close.   I said we will pay a top 25 type salary when that time comes

You said 2 mill was chump change compared to what we pay now, I just looked it up and didn’t see him in the none chump change category.  All I’m saying is I don’t foresee us paying s top 25 salary.  Doesn’t mean you are wrong, I just don’t think Moos prioritizes it enough and miles isn’t even gone yet, so let’s finish the season and not up the cart before the horse.

5 minutes ago, Keenan9595 said:

You said 2 mill was chump change compared to what we pay now, I just looked it up and didn’t see him in the none chump change category.  All I’m saying is I don’t foresee us paying s top 25 salary.  Doesn’t mean you are wrong, I just don’t think Moos prioritizes it enough and miles isn’t even gone yet, so let’s finish the season and not up the cart before the horse.

$2 mil is $400k less than we pay now and we are in a much better financial situation now than we were then.   Money is not an issue and wont be regardless of what happens

On 1/21/2019 at 10:25 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

He's been on the radio a few more times in the last week to specifically talk about so it seems like he's working on it, but I agree his lack of attendance kind of show the way he's leaning maybe? I don't have stupendous sources, but have heard Miles needs to win a game in the tourney this year to keep his job. Obviously a lot more goes into the decision than that, but ...

It's tough because I think we will not be very good next year regardless, but what does it say to a potential coach when one fires a coach that gets them to the tourney two times for the first time since what feels like eternity? Still I think we'll just keep having this discussion about Miles next year regardless of what happens this year. That's why I think there's a good chance Miles tries to find another job even if we make the tourney or win a game this year.

That is true. Have heard the same thing. 

Have also heard that Miles really wants to stay here and if he wins a tournament game he will take the contract offered to him by Moos. He will not leave on his own.

IMHO no one else will offer him what we are currently paying him or what we would offer him in a new contract, which is why the talk of him leaving on his own is not realistic.

There are still a lot of games to be played and lots can happen.  Make the dance and, especially, win a game when there, and Miles does not get fired; fail to make the dance, and he almost certainly will.  I don't know which scenario will occur and I think either is a possibility at this point.

But let me ask this: Let's say the first scenario occurs and we reach the dance and win a game. Miles is still who he is. And, for all you people who have been critical of his "middle school" offense and inability to recruit a big man and keep guys for 4 years etc. etc., he's still going to be that guy. That ain't gonna change.

So, I'd like to see a show of hands: Even if this team reaches the dance and wins a game once they get there, do you still want to see Miles let go?

If not, why would you want to keep a guy who continues to run a "middle school" offense, etc?

On 1/9/2019 at 11:43 PM, nustudent said:

Id take Altman in a heartbeat.  

I know that he's had a lot of success but in the last two years in what is essentially the worst Power 5 conference with Nike U resources he has been about to slightly less successful than Miles. Why do people think he's going to waltz into the Big 10 towards the end of his career with easily less resources and have success? Not sure why he'd want to unless he wants to get away from the laundry list of off the court issues that have happened during his tenure in Eugene.

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There are still a lot of games to be played and lots can happen.  Make the dance and, especially, win a game when there, and Miles does not get fired; fail to make the dance, and he almost certainly will.  I don't know which scenario will occur and I think either is a possibility at this point.

But let me ask this: Let's say the first scenario occurs and we reach the dance and win a game. Miles is still who he is. And, for all you people who have been critical of his "middle school" offense and inability to recruit a big man and keep guys for 4 years etc. etc., he's still going to be that guy. That ain't gonna change.

So, I'd like to see a show of hands: Even if this team reaches the dance and wins a game once they get there, do you still want to see Miles let go?

If not, why would you want to keep a guy who continues to run a "middle school" offense, etc?

The big box that Miles doesn't check off in my book, is the ability to win the ones that matter. That's not to say he hasnt won big games - but it seems like if we need a win, or it's a game we need to be up for, we fail to execute. If we make the dance, then it means he was able to execute enough of those must win/big games - and TM deserves a nice extension. If we don't make the dance, we will have proven to not win enough big/must win games (even with an impressive roster) and it will be time to move on. I've said it before on here, I don't care if we look like those Wisconsin teams that won 45-35 or the current Duke team that wins 95-85....It just comes down to winning.

46 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

IMO, getting to the dance and winning a game is validation that his style works/can work and he can be successful here, because he just accomplished something.  So, yes, I would be just fine in him getting an extension under those circumstances.   And I'm a guy who wanted him fired after his 5th year.   Do I like his offense or a lot of the things he does?  No.   But that doesn't mean I don't want him to be successful or find success.  

There's always the small portion that just want to watch it burn.   I don't want that to occur.  I'd rather be wrong and have Miles be successful.   But what I want and what I believe aren't always walking hand in hand.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Easy peasey, Normie.   If we make the tournament and win a game, I would prefer that Coach Miles remain our coach.